Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
This is my first experience with aftermarket air bags. I like that I know how many lbs of pressure I’m running and I can go from 5 - 100 lbs, that’s a big range. My first tow test is this weekend, I’ll experiment with the poundage and hopefully find the sweet spot.
Update on the air bags - I hooked up my trailer but set the air bags at 10 lbs before dropping it onto the ball. Once I began lowering I could hear the compressor kick in and run for a short while a couple of times while I was connecting. I left it alone to make sure I got the WDH right and then added air to 20 lbs which raised the rear end about a half inch. I towed about 80+ miles from Leesburg to Fredericksburg and experimented with the poundage along the way. I didn’t want to add too much air and take the balance away from the WDH. I ended up at 23 lbs. The combination of systems worked great. Will repeat the process on the trip home.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Installed some WeatherTech window visors. Had them on my previous 2 trucks. Need to wash the truck. Hopefully get a clear spell soon and can get that done.

20200612_164208.jpg20200612_164227.jpg

BTroupe

Reaction score
I added this to my 2019 2500 6.7 Cummins with the off-road package (anti-slip diff). I think the power wagons and gassers come with them. The diesels don’t seem to and I don’t know why. I was getting bad shudder/hopping when in dirt or slick stuff. This seems to have helped from what I can tell (I have only been in some mild loose gravel so far, more testing to come). Rear end feels more planted for sure in my opinion. It was around $225 from Geno’s (that was the cheapest I could find it)

Power Hop kit:
380559ba1e785834a8c36af3387983f5.jpg

69df2408c50c8c8072ae02260309c35f.jpg
I added this to my 2019 2500 6.7 Cummins with the off-road package (anti-slip diff). I think the power wagons and gassers come with them. The diesels don’t seem to and I don’t know why. I was getting bad shudder/hopping when in dirt or slick stuff. This seems to have helped from what I can tell (I have only been in some mild loose gravel so far, more testing to come). Rear end feels more planted for sure in my opinion. It was around $225 from Geno’s (that was the cheapest I could find it)

Power Hop kit:
380559ba1e785834a8c36af3387983f5.jpg

69df2408c50c8c8072ae02260309c35f.jpg
Their site shows it for a 14-18, is it the same or did you have to call for a

.genomer

Reaction score
Started test fitting a little homemade project I started last week. This backyard experiment skid plate was inspired by CJC Off Road's shop truck. Not everyone's taste, but I like it a lot so far.

I need input on color. If I clean up the brushed aluminium, I think it may look nice without drawing away from the truck as an eyesore. However, night edition trucks and their matte black accessories.... So silver or matte black?

20200613_163937.jpg
20200613_164026.jpg20200613_164107.jpg

TogaLock77

Reaction score
Looks good, but what is that protecting? I can be ignorant of things for sure, but what is the effect on approach angle? As far as looks, it’s mean looking for sure. I think black to match the grill would be sharp. Really bomber looking truck. I like it.

.genomer

Reaction score
Looks good, but what is that protecting? I can be ignorant of things for sure, but what is the effect on approach angle? I think black to match the grill would be sharp.

Really if we dig into the protection aspect, it's excessive. This is more of an aesthetic replacement for the black shroud that hangs low. The vents offer debris protection and angle provides a bit of forced air up into the intercooler.

I dont have any pics of the bumper with the shroud off right now, but our intercooler hangs low. The OEM front valence offers a bit of rock/debris protection but doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to everyone. This is merely boredom mixed with a change in look. Thanks, I was thinking black too!

TogaLock77

Reaction score
Really if we dig into the protection aspect, it's excessive. This is more of an aesthetic replacement for the black shroud that hangs low. The vents offer debris protection and angle provide a bit of forced air up into the intercooler.

I dont have any pics of the bumper with the shroud off right now, but our intercooler hang low. The OEM front valence offers a bit of rock/debris protection but don't look aesthetically pleasing to everyone. This is merely boredom mixed with a change in look. I was thinking black too
Ah, I see. You’ve got more parts on that Cummins than I do on my Hemi. I like the look of it, I was just curious to the functionality. I come from the world of classic Broncos and everything is about approach and departure angles. I’m learning here. It’s a good thing. Again though, looks good.

.genomer

Reaction score
Ah, I see. You’ve got more parts on that Cummins than I do on my Hemi. I like the look of it, I was just curious to the functionality. I come from the world of classic Broncos and everything is about approach and departure angles. I’m learning here. It’s a good thing. Again though, looks good.

Thanks brotha. Yeah, I've had to do my best to give in to the fact that this truck isn't gonna be a climber. Skid plates are obviously for rock sliding protection, something this will never be used for haha.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good! I am on the fence about removing my front air dam myself. I don't need anything making my MPG less as they already suck haha.

.genomer

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good! I am on the fence about removing my front air dam myself. I don't need anything making my MPG less as they already suck haha.

Lol so true. I picked up somewhere that, once the truck is leveled or lifted, the valence is useless for MPGs. Dont take my word for it though! That idea just made it so much easier to give in.

PGHChris81

Reaction score
Lol so true. I picked up somewhere that, once the truck is leveled or lifted, the valence is useless for MPGs. Dont take my word for it though! That idea just made it so much easier to give in.
Oh really? Well if that's the case then I just may oblige then...You have a Cummins though, so you're way better off than I am. lol

avpdx

Reaction score
What did I do to my RAM today...finally finished putting the air lift in.

I’m going to post this in several threads because I’m so happy that I’m finally done, complete, no mas!!! Based on everyone’s experiences shared here I pulled the trigger and bought the Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus. The stainless sounded like a good idea based on others (Brutal’s) recommendations. After a few days of over thinking and watching YouTube I also bought the 74000-2nd gen compressor with the EZ mount. I was scheduled to have the guys at Trick Trucks in Chantilly VA install for me. Unfortunately I was exposed to 2 different people with COVID and subsequently quarantined so I had to cancel. I got tested and waited for my test results and all good, the wife and I were both negative.

With time on my hands, the idle mind/devils workshop theory took over and I searched the ends of the internet on the subject and through the magic of You Tube, it seemed easy enough...I would soon come to appreciate working on a truck on a lift versus underneath, on a creeper, on your back makes a big difference. Amazingly enough I still fit under the truck without needing additional clearance of jack stands but... if I’m being honest, I’m about one donut away from not being able to !

The only real setback I had is the Ultimate Plus comes with braided stainless air lines that require additional fittings that didn’t come with my kit. I took time to find quality products, I eventually got the correct elbows that mount in the bag and I was in business. I took my time and followed the instructions ... this time... :p I opted for the setup where compressor lines tie into a T union which gives me the ability to also manually fill as a redundancy if the compressor fails. I ran the manual line schraeder valves to the license plate bolt for easy access. The wireless remote pairs with the manifold when you first put the main fuse in. The manual says you have 5 minutes but it didn‘t take on the first go. I pulled the fuse and repeated the process and synced on the second go around. So far everything is working as it should without errors. No leaks so far, let’s see how it does overnight.

We’re going to tow the new TT this weekend I’ll post how it went when I’m done.

This video was the most helpful setting the compressor up.

View attachment 5093View attachment 5094View attachment 5097View attachment 5098View attachment 5099
Does this allow you to lower the rear end for hooking up a trailer? Or does that require an air kit that replaces the springs?

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Does this allow you to lower the rear end for hooking up a trailer? Or does that require an air kit that replaces the springs?
No - it does not lower, only lifts as supplemental support for OEM springs. It does not replace anything. Check out the pics on this thread from a few days earlier and you can see how the hardware installs along side the factory OEM bits. I wanted to add some cushion to help the truck work a little better in conjunction with the weight distribution hitch.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
.genomer, I get what you are going for on the look of. If you do decide to leave it a brushed aluminum look, look into having it clear powder coated to keep it protected. With you color truck, the aluminum look works I think. Do you use a front license plate on yours? If so, how would that play into things with the skid plate?

.genomer

Reaction score
.genomer, I get what you are going for on the look of. If you do decide to leave it a brushed aluminum look, look into having it clear powder coated to keep it protected. With you color truck, the aluminum look works I think. Do you use a front license plate on yours? If so, how would that play into things with the skid plate?

Good idea dude, the exposed metal was something I was worried about and one of the main reasons I'm leaning toward matte.

I've been exploring this license plate front and have come up with one viable solution. I do live in California and want to atleast have the option to comply with the Vehicle Code lol. Slapping a plate on the bumper would just look tacky in my book, so I'm going to be using the OEM front mount. There are obvious reasons why it may not work due to the upper skid angle. However, I'll be matching up hardware that runs long enough to fasten both pieces together utilizing rubber washers on the backside of the plate.

images.jpeg

This should provide stability for the license plate mount and OEM functionality.

DHaus

Reaction score
Started test fitting a little homemade project I started last week. This backyard experiment skid plate was inspired by CJC Off Road's shop truck. Not everyone's taste, but I like it a lot so far.

I need input on color. If I clean up the brushed aluminium, I think it may look nice without drawing away from the truck as an eyesore. However, night edition trucks and their matte black accessories.... So silver or matte black?

View attachment 5180
View attachment 5181View attachment 5182
Looks great! Any pics of how its mounted?

Users who are viewing this thread