Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do TO your RAM today?

orlando bull

Reaction score
I was planning on getting the firestone 5000 but I was on the fence with getting on board air. The only time I need them is when we pull our fifth wheel which would be 6-8 times a year at most.

I am in the exact same boat on towing. The reason I went with the on-board compressor is that I didn't want to have to deal with constantly checking to make sure i have the minimum 5 psi in there. The airlift kit does that automatically. It also allows me to tinker while driving to get the best feel. If you do go with something that has the jounce bumpers in it, the 5 psi minimum is still recommended, but, not as critical as the bags without. The install for the airlift bags was quite simple. I struggled a little bit with the compressor system mostly with finding the correct spot to mount everything. Overall, the whole thing was easy, compressor just took some planning.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
I changed over from 15 year old bags with bump stops to new a new stainless airlift 5K stainless kit with bump stops on my 2500 last year and never noticed any difference.

In either case, they definitely improved the ride and handling in addition to managing squat.
What brand system did you install ?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What brand system did you install ?

air-lift

Had the first set I bought used installed for 15 years. The roll plates were pretty rusted and had bent a bit so I replaced the whole system. It was probably the 90 PSI and 3800# pallet of landscape blocks I hauled (a few of them) in it years ago.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Has the stainless has held up a little better, mostly rust free?

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
I am in the exact same boat on towing. The reason I went with the on-board compressor is that I didn't want to have to deal with constantly checking to make sure i have the minimum 5 psi in there. The airlift kit does that automatically. It also allows me to tinker while driving to get the best feel. If you do go with something that has the jounce bumpers in it, the 5 psi minimum is still recommended, but, not as critical as the bags without. The install for the airlift bags was quite simple. I struggled a little bit with the compressor system mostly with finding the correct spot to mount everything. Overall, the whole thing was easy, compressor just took some planning.
Which air compressor system did you end up going with?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Has the stainless has held up a little better, mostly rust free?

Wasn't really on long enough to notice. I sold the truck less than a year later when I got the 2020.

FYI, not all the parts are stainless. Just the bolts going into the bags, roll plates, and lines/fittings. The old roll plates were really rusty/crusty so I would recommend spending a bit extra for the stainless kit. Those were still shiny new a year later.

In 15 years, I never had a problem with leaks or anything, but I did not use on-board air

Last edited:

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Got a wheel step. I’ll see how often I use it.
c82fd4b66422be7aba65fe9ac3e66626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marlin

Reaction score
Added a hidden winch . Custom built the winch plate for my 2019 1500 5th gen. Upgraded to a 2500 and modified. Just finished today

Attachments

• CEE818DF-89CA-406B-932D-A7CE7238025D.jpeg
    CEE818DF-89CA-406B-932D-A7CE7238025D.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 407
  • 87554AAD-AE0C-40D1-B251-4729C9A0CE8B.jpeg
    87554AAD-AE0C-40D1-B251-4729C9A0CE8B.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 415
  • E6AB0E1C-B335-4CC5-B85D-7D7A46588282.jpeg
    E6AB0E1C-B335-4CC5-B85D-7D7A46588282.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 408

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Looks great. Nice job making it lean, not bulky. Blends great on the front end with the subdued color scheme of the Sport Appearance package.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Let me know how you like it- I’ve been considering one also.

Ill be honest. Seems like a lot to do where I still can climb up on the tire. That said I really like how sturdy it is. But I’ll probably use it more for washing the truck and drying the hood than hooking up the goose etc.

Good to have for sure for the just one case or when the tire is slippery though or if you have a hard time stepping on the tire.

I’d recommend it.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
I did the airlift wireless one kit. Single path (both bags same pressure). Simple install, if you go that route, I can snap some pics.
Would you be able to find one online and send me the link? I keep looking at them but end up getting certain ones mixed up and which are actually good.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the Stainless air-lift springs kit. I don't think you can get the jounce-less model in stainless but you could always add the stainless kit if you had to but you have to call Air-lift directly. It was kind of a pain, but I was able to get the stainless parts (I goofed up my order) instead of returning it for the correct kit and the total price was the same.

orlando bull

Reaction score

LamboTexas

Reaction score
Ill be honest. Seems like a lot to do where I still can climb up on the tire. That said I really like how sturdy it is. But I’ll probably use it more for washing the truck and drying the hood than hooking up the goose etc.

Good to have for sure for the just one case or when the tire is slippery though or if you have a hard time stepping on the tire.

I’d recommend it.

I think it would greatly help me reach the items in the mid section of my toolbox. I’m 6’2” and with the Dually fenders and height of the truck- I have to climb into the bed to get to items in middle of the toolbox. I’ve had each knee operated on twice, so the tire as a step is not for me. Also help in different areas of the engine bay. How sturdy are these? Thank you for your answers.

Users who are viewing this thread