Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won't unlock after remote start

Xflight29

Reaction score
My remote works just fine no issues. what else could you do with the fob after remote start ?

kristof

Reaction score
Can you not just hit the start button 2x to shut it off?

im kinda glad i didnt get the oem remotestart that and the oem fob sucks compared to the 2000’ range my aftermarket 2 way.
Nope. FOB is dead after remote start. But somehow proximity sensor picks up a signal from it.

Darkside

Reaction score
My remote works just fine no issues. what else could you do with the fob after remote start ?
Tried unlocking to drop the tailgate with no luck, tailgate button on the remote also didn’t work so I have to walk up and reach behind the door handle for it to unlock then walk back to the tailgate and open it.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Tried unlocking to drop the tailgate with no luck, tailgate button on the remote also didn’t work so I have to walk up and reach behind the door handle for it to unlock then walk back to the tailgate and open it.
I will have to try this when I get back to the house. I would think it has to do with safety if this is the norm.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I will have to try this when I get back to the house. I would think it has to do with safety if this is the norm.

Mine allows all the functions on the fob after remote start. Except for when it doesn't. :rolleyes: A couple of times it hasn't allowed proximity entry after starting and I have had to use the fob.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
buddy bought a power wagon the same time as me and both were built in July of 2020 and his remote start works fine evert time. We both have 8.4 screens. his is level 2 mine level 1.

Can you not just hit the start button 2x to shut it off?

im kinda glad i didnt get the oem remotestart that and the oem fob sucks compared to the 2000’ range my aftermarket 2 way.

No issues with mine.

The Compustar long range that also has a remote start service/dronemobile for $5/month is the way to go if you don't have factory, or don't want to pay for Uconnect and require a mobile device connecting in a remote area. However, I don't see 19-21 trucks listed for Compustar. Just a website issue?

Xflight29

Reaction score
Got home and everything works on mine after remote start. good to go.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No issues with mine.

The Compustar long range that also has a remote start service/dronemobile for $5/month is the way to go if you don't have factory, or don't want to pay for Uconnect and require a mobile device connecting in a remote area. However, I don't see 19-21 trucks listed for Compustar. Just a website issue?
i went with the idata no app to worry about when im in the bush just a 2 way fob.... most sites seem to lack the 19+ info for remote starts i picked mine up locally i installed it myself and had the idata dealer flash the module

Looks like the compustar and idata are similar even the packaging looks alike almost as if they are sister companys

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
i went with the idata no app to worry about when im in the bush just a 2 way fob.... most sites seem to lack the 19+ info for remote starts i picked mine up locally i installed it myself and had the idata dealer flash the module

Looks like the compustar and idata are similar even the packaging looks alike almost as if they are sister companys
They are- idata, compustar, flashlogic, etc...they’re all the same repackaged module. They can all accept the drone mobile or car link as add-on modules that will give you the ability to remote start via phone app.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They are- idata, compustar, flashlogic, etc...they’re all the same repackaged module. They can all accept the drone mobile or car link as add-on modules that will give you the ability to remote start via phone app.
Jesus you’re like a ninja in the shadows lurking to hand out awesome info! lol

Bulldog

Reaction score
dealership called this morning to tell me they got the RF hub in and one key fob and have another key fob coming from another dealership and were expecting that on on monday. They still say the star case is not pertaining to me....I guess I will know next week lol.
Have you had the new RF hub installed yet?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I am considering this instead of the unrealistic prices Uconnect wants. Even with their $60/6 month offer (then regular price $20/mo) it's not worth it. $249/ year is hard to swallow for something I'll use 3-4 months of the year at most.

We do like the remote start in the summer when heading in to retrieve the boat in 105F weather. There's sometimes a long walk to parking and having a cooled down truck makes the wife happy and her backing ability improves.

I'd pay $120/year for Uconnect, but more than that is hard to justify and there's no long range if there's no cell service. OTOH, the initial total installed cost of the others covers a few years of Uconnect... I assume these are dealer only and not self-install for ongoing support?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I am considering this instead of the unrealistic prices Uconnect wants. Even with their $60/6 month offer (then regular price $20/mo) it's not worth it. $249/ year is hard to swallow for something I'll use 3-4 months of the year at most.

We do like the remote start in the summer when heading in to retrieve the boat in 105F weather. There's sometimes a long walk to parking and having a cooled down truck makes the wife happy and her backing ability improves.

I'd pay $120/year for Uconnect, but more than that is hard to justify and there's no long range if there's no cell service. OTOH, the initial total installed cost of the others covers a few years of Uconnect... I assume these are dealer only and not self-install for ongoing support?
They are very easy to install. There is a 100% plug n play t-harness for them (ch-12 for the 2019+, if I remember right). It plugs in line with the headlight switch, ignition switch, and OBD port, and a star connector for the canbus c junction block. You flash the module with the truck configuration on the weblink site (same site for all three), plug it into the truck and do a few key on/offs and brake pedal press, finish a second stage flash on the website, and it’s good to go. The add-on cell module plugs into a port on the remote start module, and gets activated via an app.

Jimmy07

Reaction score

This is the whole setup (2018+ harness will have a white star canbus connector)
HRNxVE5.jpg

You actually spend more time bundling up the harness so it’s not a rats nest up above the pedals.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the whole setup (2018+ harness will have a white star canbus connector)
HRNxVE5.jpg

You actually spend more time bundling up the harness so it’s not a rats nest up above the pedals.

Does it interfere with the factory remote start FOB?

I like the T13 that works with multiple vehicle and only one FOB.

My son used to work at car Toys and I think he still gets a nice (though not employee) discount. Might have to look into this more.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OP and anyone else.

Jimmy and I went OT on the aftermarket remote and if anyone wants, I can move these posts to a new thread.

Just say the word.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Does it interfere with the factory remote start FOB?

I like the T13 that works with multiple vehicle and only one FOB.

My son used to work at car Toys and I think he still gets a nice (though not employee) discount. Might have to look into this more.
Nope. I use one of these setups concurrently with factory remote start. There is no extra fob, as it uses the factory fob unlock button 3x to activate. You can use either the factory system to remote start, or the unlock 3x to remote start. Basically, the only reason I have it is for the phone app. I started off using drone mobile, but they kept raising the yearly rates, while the service seemed to keep “degrading”. I now use the car-link, which is very reliable, free for the first year, and $60 a year after that.

Bulldog

Reaction score
dealership called this morning to tell me they got the RF hub in and one key fob and have another key fob coming from another dealership and were expecting that on on monday. They still say the star case is not pertaining to me....I guess I will know next week lol.
Have you had the new RF hub installed & if so did it cure the remote start issue?

Users who are viewing this thread