Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release in the key fob already present EDIT: Mod complete and works!

Dinostop

Reaction score
Has anyone looked into replacing the rubber pad to show all the correct button labels?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into replacing the rubber pad to show all the correct button labels?
Read back on the 2nd page there is even 2 links for the rubber pad, one from amazon.com and one from .ca

Dinostop

Reaction score
Read back on the 2nd page there is even 2 links for the rubber pad, one from amazon.com and one from .ca
I went through all 4 pages of this thread a few times and can only find the link for the buttons and not the rubber pad that has all 5 buttons on it.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I went through all 4 pages of this thread a few times and can only find the link for the buttons and not the rubber pad that has all 5 buttons on it.

Will be hard to find just the rubber but you can buy an entire empty case or just a rubber cover with that slips over the remote for cheap on Amazon that will have the tailgate graphic on it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Will be hard to find just the rubber but you can buy an entire empty case or just a rubber cover with that slips over the remote for cheap on Amazon that will have the tailgate graphic on it.

Amazon sells just the rubber in a 2 pack…

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hmm its on the forum somewhere then i though it was on this thread sorry for that

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Amazon sells just the rubber in a 2 pack…
I’m reading the question as referring to the actual rubber overlay pad of the fob itself-
21FA2C41-8362-4B6D-ADB9-F339B87E47EF.jpeg
I haven’t seen anywhere that offers replacement pads for just that pad.
What is being referred to on Amazon is a set of covers that slip on over the entire fob-
D27729F0-3138-4E6E-A4E9-59F498A94503.jpeg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I’m reading the question as referring to the actual rubber overlay pad of the fob itself-
View attachment 20941
I haven’t seen anywhere that offers replacement pads for just that pad.
What is being referred to on Amazon is a set of covers that slip on over the entire fob-
View attachment 20942
No they were the acutal rubber pads ill look for the link and post it

Edit:

Ok i guess i was not paying attention when it was posted they are indeed only covers sorry to disappoint :(

Last edited:

Marcross1009

Reaction score
Anyone have the key fob Mopar part number for the fob with the tailgate release on it, I destroyed mine taking it apart and mo solder skills lacked being able to get the switch soldered, my hands aren't as steady as they used to either. So I'm over it, I'll just order one and have it programmed.

Heimz

Reaction score
There's a few different fobs out there for different trims, here's what I ordered and they look exactly like my OEM keys.

Use code "rem10" for discount.

Marcross1009

Reaction score
There's a few different fobs out there for different trims, here's what I ordered and they look exactly like my OEM keys.

Use code "rem10" for discount.
Thanks!
And you were able to get it programmed no problem? I know some people were saying 3rd party keys they couldn't program sometimes, but I think it was because they were used.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thanks!
And you were able to get it programmed no problem? I know some people were saying 3rd party keys they couldn't program sometimes, but I think it was because they were used.
Do yourself a favor, and just buy one from a mopar parts supplier. Multiple people have gone with 3rd party fobs and they wouldn’t program. If that happens, you might get the refund for the fob, but you’re out the money you pay to try to have it programmed.

Jgouldski

Reaction score
What is the part number for the fob with remote tailgate release and remote start on it? I see 7 different fobs listed, and more when I really start searching and see that some of these have been replaced with entire different part numbers. And, of course, they all have very lacklustre descriptions. The one Heimz links to above (68374994AB) says "without power tailgate" on the Mopar parts site I'm ordering from, and it looks like it may have been replaced by 68475385AA, according to the website that was linked.

Also, it seems passive entry and power tailgate are things that certain fobs could be with or without? If I were to add passive entry in the future, would it mean a different fob? And I thought all 2019+ HD's had power tailgate?

Last edited:

Marcross1009

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor, and just buy one from a mopar parts supplier. Multiple people have gone with 3rd party fobs and they wouldn’t program. If that happens, you might get the refund for the fob, but you’re out the money you pay to try to have it programmed.
Finally had time to go to a locksmith today, I ordered the fob from the link above and they had it programmed in 5 mins, took longer to get the wires plugged into the canbus and obd ports than the programming. Works great and the tailgate open button works too

Jgouldski

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering like I was. The regular key fobs have the proper circuit board for the tailgate release. As you can see in the image they just didn’t actually add the button itself.
I held some wires to it to give it power and abracadabra, my tailgate opened.
I’m sure someone can fabricate a way to add the feature however I’m likely going to order the proper fob for about $100 and go from there.
My service plan I got with my truck covers a replacement key fob per year. If I swap the to then new one then request another one, I can hopefully get a second one with the tailgate release.
Just wanted to pass this along and vent a little. Ram could have just as easily made this a standard feature like the tailgate damper…
I took mine apart when I read the thread and noticed that there's also what appears to be button connection points in the lower left (behind where the RAM words are on the rubber cover). Any idea what that would be for, or if it's even anything at all?

SOKY_Ram

Reaction score
I took mine apart when I read the thread and noticed that there's also what appears to be button connection points in the lower left (behind where the RAM words are on the rubber cover). Any idea what that would be for, or if it's even anything at all?
That's the seat ejector. Only available on models with a sunroof.

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
Great mod and one I am going to do! Have my fob apart already and am ordering the switch kit, any recommendations on a soldering iron that has a tiny tip required for this work? I have several irons but they are way too big and would make a mess out of this little board!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread