Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release in the key fob already present EDIT: Mod complete and works!

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering like I was. The regular key fobs have the proper circuit board for the tailgate release. As you can see in the image they just didn’t actually add the button itself.
I held some wires to it to give it power and abracadabra, my tailgate opened.
I’m sure someone can fabricate a way to add the feature however I’m likely going to order the proper fob for about $100 and go from there.
My service plan I got with my truck covers a replacement key fob per year. If I swap the to then new one then request another one, I can hopefully get a second one with the tailgate release.
Just wanted to pass this along and vent a little. Ram could have just as easily made this a standard feature like the tailgate damper…

Attachments

• F1DB6B79-FFF5-41F4-86F0-6DC67583B15C.jpeg
    F1DB6B79-FFF5-41F4-86F0-6DC67583B15C.jpeg
    552.2 KB · Views: 372
  • D245103C-9D4B-4738-8077-B07F66CAF4F3.jpeg
    D245103C-9D4B-4738-8077-B07F66CAF4F3.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 371

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I only scrolled through some pages, did someone actually take apart their key to see if they had the remote start pins in the board? I wonder what would happen if those were given power then.
Needs to be programed in the truck for the remote start option

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Needs to be programed in the truck for the remote start option

"Programmed in the truck" = enabled with AlfaOBD and needs the hood sensor switch present or 1K resistor to ground on the BCM connector C1 pin C11. It's all in the remote start thread.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
"Programmed in the truck" = enabled with AlfaOBD and needs the hood sensor switch present or 1K resistor to ground on the BCM connector C1 pin C11. It's all in the remote start thread.

Can remotes be added using AlphaOBD? My truck already has remote start but I want to key the fob that is factory made with tailgate release. I’ve read about the sales code needing to be added but my jumped terminals released my tailgate. Just want it to look factory.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you cannot code FOBIKS to the new trucks with AlfaOBD.

They now use an active connection to WiTech and rolling codes. Dealer only, perhaps a locksmith if they have invested in the correct tools and subscription.

No sales code needed for tailgate, it's already "ready and waiting" in the RF hub for the remote signal.

P.S. The cheap FOBs being sold online often are refurb and the dealers can't program them and you're out a labor charge. Only a FOB in a sealed MOPAR bag is guaranteed to work.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

They all come with the hood sensor from what jimmy mentioned i know mine has one and no remote start

i said programed to the truck because you can do it with alfa or have the dealer do it

Last edited:

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
No, you cannot code FOBIKS to the new trucks with AlfaOBD.

They now use an active connection to WiTech and rolling codes. Dealer only, perhaps a locksmith if they have invested in the correct tools and subscription.

No sales code needed for tailgate, it's already "ready and waiting" in the RF hub for the remote signal.

P.S. The cheap FOBs being sold online often are refurb and the dealers can't program them and you're out a labor charge. Only a FOB in a sealed MOPAR bag is guaranteed to work.
From the part number I need I found one from Mopar for $127. It’s stupid that the dealer will charge MSRP but you can buy yourself for less than half.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Wanted to update. An $8 kit of micro buttons and a soldering iron and bada bing bada boom, I’ve got a remote tailgate release. The button obviously isn’t shown on the remote since I modded my own remote but I bet if I look I could find replacement rubber piece with the tailgate drop icon.
This beats having to spend extra for a new fob, then pay to program the new fob. I’ve attached a link to my video to show it works!

CDNgoat

Reaction score
Nice mod have no idea how remote start got into it but any way, let me get this right you bought a button and soldered it in the key fob and now your tailgate auto opens
My tailgate unlocks and locks with the fob and has a dampener but would it not need a solenoid or a trigger to kick it to fall open

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Nice mod have no idea how remote start got into it but any way, let me get this right you bought a button and soldered it in the key fob and now your tailgate auto opens
My tailgate unlocks and locks with the fob and has a dampener but would it not need a solenoid or a trigger to kick it to fall open
If your circuit board looks like mine, Ill bet it does, then yes you will just need to solder a button where the release would have been and youll tailgate will open with the press of that said button. Of course your remote wont have the icon showing that but for $10 I cant complain.

CDNgoat

Reaction score
If your circuit board looks like mine, Ill bet it does, then yes you will just need to solder a button where the release would have been and youll tailgate will open with the press of that said button. Of course your remote wont have the icon showing that but for $10 I cant complain.
Ok don,t take this wrong my Fob will unlock all my doors and tailgate it won,t make them swing open, there has to more to it than a missing button on the fob , the button must be triggering something to open the gate and i would assume the fobs are talking to a computer to apply power

Last edited:

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Ok don,t take this wrong my Fob will unlock all me doors and tailgate it won,t make them swing open, there has to more to it than a missing button on the fob , the button must be triggering something to open the gate and i would assume the fobs are talking to a computer to apply power
Your fob talks to the truck to tell it to unlock/lock the doors. The tailgate release is actually an electronic mechanism. If youve had other trucks youll remember actually pulling out a handle to release the tailgate, on these trucks once you press the button on the tailgate itself the tailgate opens. As you can see on my keyfob circuit board there are four posts that look like a button could be affixed to. Those posts when given power tell the truck to open the tailgate. Its as simple as that. As a means of cutting features to get you to pay more Fiat/Chrysler did not add the remote tailgate release to lower level vehicles (I have a Bighorn Level 1). All you need is a reliable way to complete that circuit and your fob will drop your tailgate.

I only looked into this because my sister had a 2011 JGC and the car did not have remote start but the fob showed it did. The dealer told her it did not have remote start (used car place not CJDR dealership). I took the fob apart and found similar to the above except the rubber pieces contained a circular metal disk that completed the circuit. The remote start one had become dislodged but when put back the car had remote start.

See the edited picture.

Attachments

• Tailgate release mod1.jpg
    Tailgate release mod1.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 256

CDNgoat

Reaction score
Your fob talks to the truck to tell it to unlock/lock the doors. The tailgate release is actually an electronic mechanism. If youve had other trucks youll remember actually pulling out a handle to release the tailgate, on these trucks once you press the button on the tailgate itself the tailgate opens. As you can see on my keyfob circuit board there are four posts that look like a button could be affixed to. Those posts when given power tell the truck to open the tailgate. Its as simple as that. As a means of cutting features to get you to pay more Fiat/Chrysler did not add the remote tailgate release to lower level vehicles (I have a Bighorn Level 1). All you need is a reliable way to complete that circuit and your fob will drop your tailgate.

I only looked into this because my sister had a 2011 JGC and the car did not have remote start but the fob showed it did. The dealer told her it did not have remote start (used car place not CJDR dealership). I took the fob apart and found similar to the above except the rubber pieces contained a circular metal disk that completed the circuit. The remote start one had become dislodged but when put back the car had remote start.

See the edited picture.
Thanks snakedocter00 for answering my questions on this but I still don,t get it , I too have a Bighorn coming but my 1500 will unlock the doors and my tailgate I can,t see how by adding the button to my fob will release the tailgate and push it to open, even when you use the handle you still have to tug the tailgate to open it doesn,t just fall open ,Do you understand where im getting lost. Why do i have to add a button to my fob when my tailgate already unlocks with the fob what opens the tailgate latch and push the gate open thanks, unless the the 2021 doesn,t unlock the tailgate
Thanks

BroKV

Reaction score
All four solder joints need to be jumped together? What is the jumper procedure to see if it’ll work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
All four solder joints need to be jumped together? What is the jumper procedure to see if it’ll work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I used some wire and just touched all four at once.
Thanks snakedocter00 for answering my questions on this but I still don,t get it , I too have a Bighorn coming but my 1500 will unlock the doors and my tailgate I can,t see how by adding the button to my fob will release the tailgate and push it to open, even when you use the handle you still have to tug the tailgate to open it doesn,t just fall open ,Do you understand where im getting lost. Why do i have to add a button to my fob when my tailgate already unlocks with the fob what opens the tailgate latch and push the gate open thanks, unless the the 2021 doesn,t unlock the tailgate
Thanks
It releases with gravity. Go grab your tailgate button on the tailgate and only put enough pressure to activate the release, the tailgate will fall on its own. This doesnt just unlock the tailgate it literally drops it down for whatever reason you might want it too. I can lock/unlock and remotely open the tailgate from the keyfob remotely now. I am not too sure what part has you confused. If you look at the video you can see I just hit the button and the tailgate opened.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Thanks
New for 2019+ is tailgate release. It opens the tailgate for you.

CDNgoat

Reaction score
I used some wire and just touched all four at once.

It releases with gravity. Go grab your tailgate button on the tailgate and only put enough pressure to activate the release, the tailgate will fall on its own. This doesnt just unlock the tailgate it literally drops it down for whatever reason you might want it too. I can lock/unlock and remotely open the tailgate from the keyfob remotely now. I am not too sure what part has you confused. If you look at the video you can see I just hit the button and the tailgate opened.
OK i can unlock the tailgate, by adding a button what does that button activate the release handle if so it must have solenoid unless, is it built into the unlock/lock solenoid

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
OK i can unlock the tailgate, by adding a button what does that button activate the release handle if so it must have solenoid unless, is it built into the unlock/lock solenoid
The button activates the electronic tailgate release mechanism. Its the same as if you were at the handle pressing the release button.

Users who are viewing this thread