Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release in the key fob already present EDIT: Mod complete and works!

Jgouldski

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in using the app to remote start your truck now that you have the sales code added you can email the app developers
appnotification@stellantis.com
Tell them you have added factory remote start at dealership and give them your vin and they will add remote start and cancel services to your app. I can now use the ram app to start my truck! I love it!
Oh wow if this works it would be killer. Like the last reply asked though, I don't have wifi or nav. Would this still work?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Oh wow if this works it would be killer. Like the last reply asked though, I don't have wifi or nav. Would this still work?
Not for you. This is part of the Sirius guardian subscription, so you have to have a VIN that is capable of getting Sirius guardian. Non nav radios don’t have the capability, and even if you swap in a radio that does, you still can’t get Sirius guardian. The truck has to be equipped from the factory with Sirius guardian capability.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in using the app to remote start your truck now that you have the sales code added you can email the app developers
Tell them you have added factory remote start at dealership and give them your vin and they will add remote start and cancel services to your app. I can now use the ram app to start my truck! I love it!
At what they charge a month thats a no go for me i have no interest throwing money away for no reason lol

Jgouldski

Reaction score
Not for you. This is part of the Sirius guardian subscription, so you have to have a VIN that is capable of getting Sirius guardian. Non nav radios don’t have the capability, and even if you swap in a radio that does, you still can’t get Sirius guardian. The truck has to be equipped from the factory with Sirius guardian capability.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I've read that a few times in various threads.
Anyone know of an app or some other way to get the remote start to activate via your phone that is not with the Ram/Guardian app?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anyone know of an app or some other way to get the remote start to activate via your phone that is not with the Ram/Guardian app?
Not without going with an aftermarket remote start… why would you need that though?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Compustar w/drone mobile or dronemobile.

I think there's some others off-brand that also work with the drone mobile lte service subscriptions.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
At what they charge a month thats a no go for me i have no interest throwing money away for no reason lol
Not without going with an aftermarket remote start… why would you need that though?

As is often the case, you have nothing to contribute except slinging arrows and questioning other's decisions.

Jbrown1602

Reaction score
12volt solutions has an aftermarket remote start kit that has an optional app module. I installed their base kits on a 2018 and a 2019. They work well

Christofo

Reaction score
How long did it take them to reply? I emailed 8 days ago and haven't heard back.

vzar47a

Reaction score
Great thread! I followed this video to get the fob apart: How to take Ram Key FOB apart to add micro switches

I bought what was described as a shell for the Ram remote off of ebay to see if I could use the silicone from that remote since it has graphics for remote start and tailgate open. Externally the ebay remote looked right, but the silicone doesn't fit. Would love to be able to add the graphics because all I have in my existing remote is lock/unlock and panic. I am not going to use remote start or tailgate very often, and without it being marked, I expect to be pushing wrong buttons all the time ....

slangwy

Reaction score
I just wanted to say "Thank you!" to the OP and all contributors for this work around. I look forward to modifying my fobs as parts roll in.

ZaTHRaS

Reaction score
Great Thread!
If anyone is interested...
FOB case with all the buttons
So it shows anyway. There are aftermarket FOBs, reasonably priced, that you could molest and transfer the buttons to the OEM or possibly just swap the rubber part.

oops, missed that 2 threads up

Last edited:

BadKarma

Reaction score
I can’t find the “68475385AA” on mopar parts. Can I take this part number to the dealer and order?

chas0218

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering like I was. The regular key fobs have the proper circuit board for the tailgate release. As you can see in the image they just didn’t actually add the button itself.
I held some wires to it to give it power and abracadabra, my tailgate opened.
I’m sure someone can fabricate a way to add the feature however I’m likely going to order the proper fob for about $100 and go from there.
My service plan I got with my truck covers a replacement key fob per year. If I swap the to then new one then request another one, I can hopefully get a second one with the tailgate release.
Just wanted to pass this along and vent a little. Ram could have just as easily made this a standard feature like the tailgate damper…
How did you get the circuit board out? I know how to get the back off for the battery do I take the small screws out and keep going.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
How did you get the circuit board out? I know how to get the back off for the battery do I take the small screws out and keep going.
There are no screws. You have to take the sides and top off then take the rubber keypad off

deanfx

Reaction score
Do y'all think the tailgate drop will work on a '23 bighorn still?

deanfx

Reaction score
Well I got a tailgate release fob today, got it programmed and wow, it works. Mind blown that this couldn't just get thrown in with the truck to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread