Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release in the key fob already present EDIT: Mod complete and works!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Great mod and one I am going to do! Have my fob apart already and am ordering the switch kit, any recommendations on a soldering iron that has a tiny tip required for this work? I have several irons but they are way too big and would make a mess out of this little board!
I used just a cheap weller pen style you just need to press the tip to the switch solder points and the second it melts remove it, when done use some contact cleaner to spray on the board to clean any flux or other contaminates off

Christofo

Reaction score
Added this to my 2022 Tradesman along with remote start. Getting the rubber back into the remote housing is by far the hardest part of this. I got it back together after a lot of struggling and it definitely isn't seated 100% in there.

Ramken

Reaction score
Did you take the whole remote apart or did you take rubber button piece off then slide out circuit board

Jgouldski

Reaction score
Added this to my 2022 Tradesman along with remote start. Getting the rubber back into the remote housing is by far the hardest part of this. I got it back together after a lot of struggling and it definitely isn't seated 100% in there.
Dish soap is your best friend in that scenario
Did you take the whole remote apart or did you take rubber button piece off then slide out circuit board
Whole remote basically needs to be taken apart to get to the circuit board

travisb1991

Reaction score
Yes that is what i did
So on my 2021 tradesman if I install the hood latch sensor, enable everything in alphaobd and solder two more buttons on my factory remote, there will be no need to interact with a dealership to do anything to get the remote start or tailgate drop to work? Am I reading that correct? No additional programming to the remote because all it needs is two additional buttons?

Christofo

Reaction score
So on my 2021 tradesman if I install the hood latch sensor, enable everything in alphaobd and solder two more buttons on my factory remote, there will be no need to interact with a dealership to do anything to get the remote start or tailgate drop to work? Am I reading that correct? No additional programming to the remote because all it needs is two additional buttons?
Correct.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yep you got it

Burtk5687

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering like I was. The regular key fobs have the proper circuit board for the tailgate release. As you can see in the image they just didn’t actually add the button itself.
I held some wires to it to give it power and abracadabra, my tailgate opened.
I’m sure someone can fabricate a way to add the feature however I’m likely going to order the proper fob for about $100 and go from there.
My service plan I got with my truck covers a replacement key fob per year. If I swap the to then new one then request another one, I can hopefully get a second one with the tailgate release.
Just wanted to pass this along and vent a little. Ram could have just as easily made this a standard feature like the tailgate damper…
Your fob talks to the truck to tell it to unlock/lock the doors. The tailgate release is actually an electronic mechanism. If youve had other trucks youll remember actually pulling out a handle to release the tailgate, on these trucks once you press the button on the tailgate itself the tailgate opens. As you can see on my keyfob circuit board there are four posts that look like a button could be affixed to. Those posts when given power tell the truck to open the tailgate. Its as simple as that. As a means of cutting features to get you to pay more Fiat/Chrysler did not add the remote tailgate release to lower level vehicles (I have a Bighorn Level 1). All you need is a reliable way to complete that circuit and your fob will drop your tailgate.

I only looked into this because my sister had a 2011 JGC and the car did not have remote start but the fob showed it did. The dealer told her it did not have remote start (used car place not CJDR dealership). I took the fob apart and found similar to the above except the rubber pieces contained a circular metal disk that completed the circuit. The remote start one had become dislodged but when put back the car had remote start.

See the edited picture.

Burtk5687

Reaction score
Your fob talks to the truck to tell it to unlock/lock the doors. The tailgate release is actually an electronic mechanism. If youve had other trucks youll remember actually pulling out a handle to release the tailgate, on these trucks once you press the button on the tailgate itself the tailgate opens. As you can see on my keyfob circuit board there are four posts that look like a button could be affixed to. Those posts when given power tell the truck to open the tailgate. Its as simple as that. As a means of cutting features to get you to pay more Fiat/Chrysler did not add the remote tailgate release to lower level vehicles (I have a Bighorn Level 1). All you need is a reliable way to complete that circuit and your fob will drop your tailgate.

I only looked into this because my sister had a 2011 JGC and the car did not have remote start but the fob showed it did. The dealer told her it did not have remote start (used car place not CJDR dealership). I took the fob apart and found similar to the above except the rubber pieces contained a circular metal disk that completed the circuit. The remote start one had become dislodged but when put back the car had remote start.

See the edited picture.
@snakedoctor00
Any tips for getting the silicone pad and circuit board back together? I’ve got the spare remote apart and trying to put it back together before I attach the buttons to the board.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
@snakedoctor00
Any tips for getting the silicone pad and circuit board back together? I’ve got the spare remote apart and trying to put it back together before I attach the buttons to the board.
A little bit of dish soap and it slides in with a little working it

Ramken

Reaction score
@snakedoctor00
I left the sides and top pieces off. Put circuit board in then put pad back on pushing it around edges of circuit board without putting a hole in it with a little screwdriver

Burtk5687

Reaction score
Take the key out the fob. Use a small screw driver to pop the back off where the key goes into the fob. That’ll access the battery. Take the battery out. Carefully work each side of the fob off then the front and pull the silicone cover off.

Barndaneous

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in using the app to remote start your truck now that you have the sales code added you can email the app developers
appnotification@stellantis.com
Tell them you have added factory remote start at dealership and give them your vin and they will add remote start and cancel services to your app. I can now use the ram app to start my truck! I love it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-092538_Ram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205-092538_Ram.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 32

travisb1991

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in using the app to remote start your truck now that you have the sales code added you can email the app developers
appnotification@stellantis.com
Tell them you have added factory remote start at dealership and give them your vin and they will add remote start and cancel services to your app. I can now use the ram app to start my truck! I love it!
I assume this is on the truck that has wifi option or what?

Users who are viewing this thread