Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate release in the key fob already present EDIT: Mod complete and works!

Marcross1009

Reaction score
QTETAK 200 Pcs 10 Value Micro Momentary Tactile Push Button Switch Tact Assortment Kit https://a.co/d/aqyJjPe
Is the kit I bought and it contained the correct ones, which one those are I'm not sure as I could not complete the task

TJRam1500

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering like I was. The regular key fobs have the proper circuit board for the tailgate release. As you can see in the image they just didn’t actually add the button itself.
I held some wires to it to give it power and abracadabra, my tailgate opened.
I’m sure someone can fabricate a way to add the feature however I’m likely going to order the proper fob for about $100 and go from there.
My service plan I got with my truck covers a replacement key fob per year. If I swap the to then new one then request another one, I can hopefully get a second one with the tailgate release.
Just wanted to pass this along and vent a little. Ram could have just as easily made this a standard feature like the tailgate damper…
Dude this is awesome and thanks for sharing. Do you have a link for the buttons you purchased?

Goatash

Reaction score
In case anyone was wondering like I was. The regular key fobs have the proper circuit board for the tailgate release. As you can see in the image they just didn’t actually add the button itself.
I held some wires to it to give it power and abracadabra, my tailgate opened.
I’m sure someone can fabricate a way to add the feature however I’m likely going to order the proper fob for about $100 and go from there.
My service plan I got with my truck covers a replacement key fob per year. If I swap the to then new one then request another one, I can hopefully get a second one with the tailgate release.
Just wanted to pass this along and vent a little. Ram could have just as easily made this a standard feature like the tailgate damper…
I did the mod also and I made a detailed video for everyone

Attachments

• IMG_8282.jpeg
    IMG_8282.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8280.jpeg
    IMG_8280.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8276.jpeg
    IMG_8276.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8293.jpeg
    IMG_8293.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 7

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I did the mod also and I made a detailed video for everyone
If you park in the garage, make sure that you have clearance between the door and a down tailgate or always check that the gate hasn’t fallen before opening the door. If towing, be aware that the gate hasn’t come down to conflict with the trailer jack etc…hauling, be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread