Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Rumor) Ram locking down ecm’s of 19-21’s?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Exactly.

However, most of these trucks have 4G wifi so they can probably do it over satellite if they really wanted to.

Ugh.
Thankfully they cant access the security gateway that way!

gimmie11s

Reaction score

That's good to know.. I always wondered about that.

I read Ford was working on a way to flash update the F150 and Mustang over the wifi.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's good to know.. I always wondered about that.

I read Ford was working on a way to flash update the F150 and Mustang over the wifi.
One more reason to never buy a ford…. I would be disconnecting any connectivity features if this were to happen

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Sure they can. How do you think they’re able to send OTA updates, and access the PCM for vehicle health reports/CEL status, etc. The security gateway is so NO ONE ELSE can access the vehicle through the radio connectivity, not them.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Sure they can. How do you think they’re able to send OTA updates, and access the PCM for vehicle health reports/CEL status, etc. The security gateway is so NO ONE ELSE can access the vehicle through the radio connectivity, not them.
Really thats Bull, any way to protect that from happening?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Really thats Bull, any way to protect that from happening?
Basically, remove cell card.
But, while it’s not to say it isn’t possible, I doubt they would ever implement OTA PCM or BCM flashes anyway. It’s just wouldn’t be a convenient way to do it, and there’s too much risk involved in doing it. The radio OTA updates can be done anytime- while the truck is being driven, or when the truck is off. A pcm flash, on the other hand, would rely on owner interaction because it can’t be done while the truck is being driven, and the ignition would have to be in the run position in order for the PCM to be flashed, battery health, and the ignition needs to be cycled after the flash. So, there’s too many circumstances that have to be right for something like that to be implemented.

John Jensen

Reaction score
22's have locked PCM.

This is being reported as a roll back into 19-21 trucks.
Brutal,
I have since read that the early 2019 flashes were locking them down because the flash software had a defect. That they fixed the software and the subsequent 2019 pump replacements and flashes do not lock down the ECMs. I can't find where I read that nor can I find anything that says that. However, the reports of being locked have stopped which seems to underwrite what I read. Are you still of the opinion that the flash continues to lock down the ECMs?

Summit1

Reaction score
Given the choice of going to the dealer or drinking bowel prep, I would choose the latter.
Save some money and time... just go to Taco Hell and blast off a short time afterward. ;)

I also wonder if all the brands will eventually push the (no charge) updates and "fixes" via wireless means... probably not primarily wi-fi, but rather a cell phone connection for those vehicles equipped with 4G/LTE stuff. Wi-fi could also be used, but it is of too short a range to be fully effective as a primary means of transmission.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Question. It's there a way to find out if your ECU got locked? Beside the obvious trying to flash it?

Bocephus

Reaction score
Has anyone with a 19 and tuned actually had the pump recall in the last two weeks?

Bocephus

Reaction score
Got a appointment for February 6. Just trying to figure out how hard I need to argue I don’t want the flash done. Or just let them do it and reflash in parking lot. I have a ezlynk and a bypass cable that replaces two wires in the obd2 connector. I’m wondering if I leave them connected they won’t be able to connect properly and do there flash. Idk. I don’t know what them two wires that I replaced with the bypass do? I originally scheduled before I heard all this rumor junk and when I talked to the service manager I told him I was deleted and he said he had to flash the truck and I said it’s fine I’ll just reflash before I leave. Now I’m thinking what should I do. Roll the dice? Sabotage the obd2 by removing more wires and be like oops I didn’t know my tuner mods would prevent u from flashing, assuming they do the pump swap first then reflash after. Can’t hardly remove after the jobs done.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Got a appointment for February 6. Just trying to figure out how hard I need to argue I don’t want the flash done. Or just let them do it and reflash in parking lot. I have a ezlynk and a bypass cable that replaces two wires in the obd2 connector. I’m wondering if I leave them connected they won’t be able to connect properly and do there flash. Idk. I don’t know what them two wires that I replaced with the bypass do? I originally scheduled before I heard all this rumor junk and when I talked to the service manager I told him I was deleted and he said he had to flash the truck and I said it’s fine I’ll just reflash before I leave. Now I’m thinking what should I do. Roll the dice? Sabotage the obd2 by removing more wires and be like oops I didn’t know my tuner mods would prevent u from flashing, assuming they do the pump swap first then reflash after. Can’t hardly remove after the jobs done.
I would hide the OB2 port and leave a note for the tech that says no flash please

Cm46

Reaction score
P6370931PB this is the flash I received, rumor is the P6470931PB is the one causing problems.

Users who are viewing this thread