Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Rumor) Ram locking down ecm’s of 19-21’s?

ylwrseoftx

Reaction score
I'm assuming everyone with tunes & having the vehicles flashed are not full deletes? My local dealership informed me that while they wouldn't report it, they also wouldn't be able to flash my truck since it won't run without the tune (if I put it back to stock). It's basically shut me out from the CP4/3 swap, from what they're saying

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I had an "emissions intact" tune on my 2020, still had all the stuff under the truck but it no longer used DEF and the EGR stayed closed, It also had tunes and could adjust the power level and fueling... I flashed my truck back stock and put DEF back in the tank since I drained it before going in for the CP3 swap, I have no idea if they did anything with the ECM but I flashed my tune back in and drained the DEF after the swap and everything worked great just as before the swap, my tunes were for my 2020 with the CP4 but the exact same tunes worked just as well with the CP3.

MtnRider

Reaction score
I'm assuming everyone with tunes & having the vehicles flashed are not full deletes? My local dealership informed me that while they wouldn't report it, they also wouldn't be able to flash my truck since it won't run without the tune (if I put it back to stock). It's basically shut me out from the CP4/3 swap, from what they're saying

I've seen plenty of people that are full deleted and have had it done. Let them do the work then you take your tuner and flash the tune back and drive it home.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
as long as you have the tune and associated flash device at the ready, it doesn't matter what the dealer says.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Mine is fully deleted it ran fine for them to park it in the lot, the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree and im sure it would have given me limp mode if i tried driving it like that

John Jensen

Reaction score
It's a safety recall, they cannot refuse to do it.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Sure they can. How do you think they’re able to send OTA updates, and access the PCM for vehicle health reports/CEL status, etc. The security gateway is so NO ONE ELSE can access the vehicle through the radio connectivity, not them.

That's what I thought was possible. No bueno!

Tmart80

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing chatter of recent reflashes from Ram basically locking down the ecm like the 22s have come from the factory. Info is kinda random and sparse but posting this as a heads up of a possible issue for those tuned and still need to go for their CP4.2 recall.

View attachment 48533
I’m curious, I recently had the cp4 replaced with the cp3 maybe 2-3 months ago. Truck is currently not tuned or deleted. The main question is has the ECM already been updated and locked by the dealer, if so, no deleting or tuning. Would the dealership tell you if they locked it out?

flan

Reaction score
I’m curious, I recently had the cp4 replaced with the cp3 maybe 2-3 months ago. Truck is currently not tuned or deleted. The main question is has the ECM already been updated and locked by the dealer, if so, no deleting or tuning. Would the dealership tell you if they locked it out?
Probably not. It seems like this was semi fake news. Kinda wish I never posted it haha.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No the dealer would not know and it seems like its all hear say and no proof on the lock out i dont think you have to worry

Tmart80

Reaction score
Only problem is when it goes to get tuned and deleted and it completely locks the truck down ha

GPurcell01

Reaction score
OK instead of hearsay here's personal experience. Took my truck to the dealer for the heated steering wheel not working. First thing they do is update the ECU to the most recent if available. Mine had an update needed for the Aisin so they did that.

Got a call from them that they could not get access past the security gate because I still had the bypass installed. No big deal - went down there and swapped the pins.

When I picked the truck up all updates were applied and guess what... the ECU wasn't locked down. The Aisin shifts oh so smooth now.

Users who are viewing this thread