Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

72guy

Reaction score
Service manager finally called with an update. He said that they are lifting the cab from the chassis, they will also be changing the injectors. When I asked if it failed the inspection he was unsure of what I was talking about. I referred him to the Procedure Card provided with the Y78 recall. With all that, he said all the parts are in and will be wrapping it by Tuesday. He was unable to give me a reason for lifting the cab. Hope to have more answers Tuesday as I will ask to speak with the tech.
Cease and desist, halt, full stop. Too many red flags poppin’ up with your Service Manager. He’s going to pull the cab and have it all wrapped up by Tuesday but he can’t answer a simple question about what inspection the truck failed that requires him to go down this road. While your getting more answers, maybe ask how many of these pump replacements his Service Department has done to date and have him show you the number of shop hours that are allotted in the service bulletin for pulling the cab. Post the service bulletin he’s referencing if you could. Good luck.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Service manager finally called with an update. He said that they are lifting the cab from the chassis, they will also be changing the injectors. When I asked if it failed the inspection he was unsure of what I was talking about. I referred him to the Procedure Card provided with the Y78 recall. With all that, he said all the parts are in and will be wrapping it by Tuesday. He was unable to give me a reason for lifting the cab. Hope to have more answers Tuesday as I will ask to speak with the tech.

I'm going to be blunt and very "brutal." Your dealership must employ complete morons.

If they're replacing cab mounts, I could possibly see them killing two birds with one stone. There is simply NO OTHER service procedure (that I'm aware of) that requires them to pull the cab except to replace the entire engine.

Let this be a lesson to all. When there's a TSB or recall, gather up all the docs you can and make sure the dealership knows WTF they're doing. I didn't go through everything on this recall because I do have some level of faith in my dealer based on past work, but I did go over a few nits with them like ensuring the wiring was secured in the proper manner (zip tied in all the right places), also based on past work. That said, they did fail to secure a holding tab on one of the PS pump lines that were replaced.

KBob

Reaction score
My pump change Re Cap.
2020 2500 SO. Dropped mine off Monday 6-27 at 8;00 AM and picked it up 4:30 PM the same day. No glitter, just a pump and a flash. They did something with the power steering pump because there was "fluid" on the invoice, and a little residual dripping when I got home, No drips now.
Drove 60 miles home, and around town for a couple days. It did a Regen the day after I got home, and nothing since. On 7-3 I hooked up my trailer (8K) and pulled it 750 miles from Sea level to 10,000 feet and back again. 1500 miles in total, all towing. Got 11 mpg for the trip, and the wind was always against me, never a tail wind.
Power is as good or better. Mileage is as good or better. I give the process, and result a 10 out of 10. Absolutely nothing to complain about, save a few finger prints on my black truck.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My pump change Re Cap.
2020 2500 SO. Dropped mine off Monday 6-27 at 8;00 AM and picked it up 4:30 PM the same day. No glitter, just a pump and a flash. They did something with the power steering pump because there was "fluid" on the invoice, and a little residual dripping when I got home, No drips now.
Drove 60 miles home, and around town for a couple days. It did a Regen the day after I got home, and nothing since. On 7-3 I hooked up my trailer (8K) and pulled it 750 miles from Sea level to 10,000 feet and back again. 1500 miles in total, all towing. Got 11 mpg for the trip, and the wind was always against me, never a tail wind.
Power is as good or better. Mileage is as good or better. I give the process, and result a 10 out of 10. Absolutely nothing to complain about, save a few finger prints on my black truck.

They have to replace the line to the hydroboost to make room.

1657548285238.png

Horse hauler

Reaction score
So I know I shouldn't be surprised but my PCM delivery day of 7/7 has come and gone. Then it was 7/11 that also didn't happen. Now parts managers computer says 7/13. I told them I fell like the movie groundhog day, same day over and over but I can't seem to make it get better! FCA keeps updating the delivery to the dealership every other day. It sure seems like someone should know WTF is going on. They keep blaming the supplier but I find it hard to believe that delivery would be this long. Week 5 and counting!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
for sure someone knows. the problem is that knowledge is with the procurement group that oversees pcm supply chain. then, that message gets refiltered and misinterpreted between them, down to the dealers and ramcare type folks. by then, it's the game of "whats the real message". no one you will talk to, will be aware of this.

KBob

Reaction score
That said, they did fail to secure a holding tab on one of the PS pump lines that were replaced.
Mine wasn't attached either. Think maybe it's not a good fit from the factory.

tjsadler

Reaction score
I just called my local dealer since we have two 2020's for our business and haven't heard a peep from them despite asking several times. He put me on their wait list and said they expect they'll be calling us to have them done in 19-20 weeks! I didn't expect them to be speedy but 5 months? That's fairly lame.

Juggernaut122

Reaction score
Update to my mess, just picked up the truck, everything seems to be okay after leaving the dealer....drove about 20 miles and heard a ticking I never noticed before. Pulled over and it sounds like it coming from the DEF injector. Found a bunch of guys reporting it, so I guess I'm good.

Hilly1

Reaction score
Just got home from a 10 day trip visiting the grandchildren In New Mexico (by plane) my recall was done the day I left. My daughter picked it up for me and put it in the garage. I will report my findings after I get to spend some time with it. Mine did NOT fail the inspection so it was just the pump replacement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 44

flan

Reaction score
Update to my mess, just picked up the truck, everything seems to be okay after leaving the dealer....drove about 20 miles and heard a ticking I never noticed before. Pulled over and it sounds like it coming from the DEF injector. Found a bunch of guys reporting it, so I guess I'm good.
A tick at a 1 second or so interval is pretty normal. I will say I notice the sound is louder when the exhaust is hot, like when I pull into home or a campground with my camper in tow. When I’m doing my 5 min turbo cool down I notice it most.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Just dropped off my 2019 HO at the dealer. They called and said they needed it longer because they needed to lift the cab off the chassis to complete the Y78 recall. Is this true? Anyone else find this out?
Thanks for the tag @Brutal_HO!

@Juggernaut122,
We just followed up on your PM! We'd like to look into this further.

Sarah
Ram Cares

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I finally got home late last night and went to visit my local dealer this morning. Told her I'm here for the recall and they said 19's are not eligible yet, I argued and said I haven't done any of the previous recalls so my truck is eligible, she punched in my VIN and confirmed and put me on a waiting list. 3 months wait she says.
Maybe will stop at another dealer tonight and see if they can get me in sooner but I doubt.

Horse hauler

Reaction score
So once again PCM delivery date of 7/13 has come and no PCM! Now they show 7/15, This has been going on since 6/30 just pushing it out 2-3 days for 2 weeks! I am really getting sick of the no idea BS. Ramcares emailed me and stated middle of the month according to the computers or wherever they get this "information" from, last I looked this IS the middle of July. June 10th I was told end of June and we see how that went. I have a truck that I paid A TON OF MONEY for I haven't been able to use in 5+ weeks and nobody seems to give a s__t.

I have been very understanding through this ordeal but I have run out of patience.

steve49

Reaction score
Not surprising since there seems to be a shortage of just about everything anymore. Unfortunately, we don't manufacture items like we use to, but with covid and people not wanting to work, probably wouldn't be any different! GM is recalling 600,000 vehicles for wiper motor issues, but has no parts available for the repairs, so unhappy GM customers! GM also has 95,000 new vehicles partially assembled but can't finish them, would guess others are having the same issue. It's frustrating for sure and I'm sure Ram is frustrated as well with their suppliers, who are frustrated with possibly they're lack of help and supplies, plus companies are still having to produce and ship products for new vehicles being built, plus the shipping industry is taking longer to deliver products.

I went in the day after the pump recall parts were to start shipping 05/11, had the inspection (2019), pump kit ordered and came in, and then couldn't get done because 2020's were first in line! So, who knows where I might be on a list when the time comes, does the dealer still have my pump kit since they're ordering by VIN and engine serial number? Yep, frustrating for sure since it's my only transportation, but it is what it is!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So once again PCM delivery date of 7/13 has come and no PCM! Now they show 7/15, This has been going on since 6/30 just pushing it out 2-3 days for 2 weeks! I am really getting sick of the no idea BS. Ramcares emailed me and stated middle of the month according to the computers or wherever they get this "information" from, last I looked this IS the middle of July. June 10th I was told end of June and we see how that went. I have a truck that I paid A TON OF MONEY for I haven't been able to use in 5+ weeks and nobody seems to give a s__t.

I have been very understanding through this ordeal but I have run out of patience.
What do you expect them to do? Make you a new ECM at the dealer? They can only relay the info they have its not on them at all its on the ECM supplier to provide accurate info

Horse hauler

Reaction score
What do you expect them to do? Make you a new ECM at the dealer? They can only relay the info they have its not on them at all its on the ECM supplier to provide accurate info
Just for clarification... I have said all along the dealership has been very helpful so I have no I'll will towards them AT ALL. I am extremely frustrated with Ram for lack of communication. I have an open case with customer care who told me they located the part around June 14. don't know why 4weeks has gone by.

RamWAM

Reaction score
Dropped mine off Tuesday at 7:30am and it was ready for pick up Wednesday at 5pm.
  • Performed Y78 (high pressure fuel pump) and
  • Z20 (software update on ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and ABS brake) recalls

The fuel pump is definitely quieter and less noises (mine made all sort of different noises).

When I purchased mine a reginal service/warranty rep told me to run a fuel additive/lubricant (I used Hot Shot's EDT and LX4, alternated each fill up) and never go below 1/4 tank of fuel to prevent air bubbles.

Looks like they didn't zip tie the wiring like they were supposed or like I've seen in other's photos. Do I need to fix this or is it ok as long as it's secured to something?CP3 Pump.jpg

Hilly1

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else is having regen problems after the (Y78) CP4 recall. I got the recall done on my 2020 ram 2500 and have put only 445 miles on it since then and as of last night it has went into regen mode 5 times now. I stopped by the dealership when it when it went into regen for the 4th time and they said that was not listed as a symptom for the recall. I called the number from the ram trucks website today and they were no help either. Before the recall I think the truck only went into regen every 1000-2000 miles.
Do you have an update on this? Mine has gone into regen twice in 250 miles I’ve put on it since the recall.

Users who are viewing this thread