Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Anyone in the Seattle area have success getting Y78 completed and if you did can you recommend the dealership!
I am having similar trouble in Tacoma area, too. Either being told they can only order 1 pump a week and their wait list is 9 months out or that they are all on back order. Don't know who to believe.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just an FYI without looking through 30 some pages of posts - at least one class action suit was amended 2/1/22 to include some 2018 MY RAMs. So possibly some late production 2018s also have the CP4. https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/dodge-ram-cp4-injection-pump-defect
Nope there was NO 18s with a CP4 and as usual most class action law suits are very not accurate just a bunch of hot shot lawyers with little to no actual knowledge on the specifics of the suit they are just hoping for a payday

Wayne007

Reaction score
I've noticed mine's going through regen a lot more frequently since the pump swap. Seems like every 100 miles or so. Gonna call the dealer Monday.

Sleepyweasel

Reaction score
Just picked up my truck from getting this recall done. Took the dealership four days, supposedly due to an outbreak of covid and techs calling out. To me, it seems the gas pedal is more responsive.

Hilly1

Reaction score
I've noticed mine's going through regen a lot more frequently since the pump swap. Seems like every 100 miles or so. Gonna call the dealer Monday.
Did your dealer offer any thoughts on this? Or check with STAR? last Friday my service manager said he would follow up with STAR and get back to me. He had no basis for this but said maybe they built it into the new software/new computer update after the pump install. I have not heard anything back as of yet. Heard this reported several times now, (Regening often) since Y78 recall was completed.

Attachments

• DD4702D4-671D-4B70-A477-508105B002A0.jpeg
    DD4702D4-671D-4B70-A477-508105B002A0.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Wayne007

Reaction score
Did your dealer offer any thoughts on this?
It's still in the shop. On the way in it threw a "low boost pressure" code . I had it in a few weeks ago for that and they said I need to drive it harder. Well last week I was pulling my dump trailer and have been "beating" on it a little more and it still threw that code. Supposedly I'll find out today.

72guy

Reaction score
It's still in the shop. On the way in it threw a "low boost pressure" code . I had it in a few weeks ago for that and they said I need to drive it harder. Well last week I was pulling my dump trailer and have been "beating" on it a little more and it still threw that code. Supposedly I'll find out today.
“ drive it harder “
How do these guys come up with such BS. Could be any number of reasons for the code, none of which will be rectified by beating on it. Sensors, leaks, other exhaust system related issues. A good tech with half a brain should be able to give you the correct diagnosis.

Wayne007

Reaction score
Well as of today I'm waiting for the service department to hear back from the engineers at Ram as to why it's throwing the "low boost pressure" code. The field rep says he's heard of it after the pump swap but couldn't offer any reason why. As to the uptick in regen cycles, they say that's built into the programming done after a pump swap. Seems as if I went from one problem to another.

72guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates. Will be interesting to hear why they purposely programmed an increase in the regen cycles. If that’s true then everyone, I would think, would be having the same issue. I don’t think everyone with the new pump and reprogramming is having the regen problem. I don’t know if it would even be related, but are the ‘21 & ‘22 owners with CP3’s having frequent regenerations? Hopefully, if the “ problem “ is programmed in it can be programmed out if it leads to enough dissatisfied customers.

Randyhut

Reaction score
UPDATE on my truck. It was missing before the pump update and started missing after a couple of hundred miles after the cp3 install. 2019 with previous recalls, that was missing badly so they replaced the whole fuel system. seems maybe that the tech may have pinched the injector harness, they replaced it and it is running ok again. I will believe it is FIXED after i drive it for a while, as it has ran OK for periods of time prior to the recall being done. I hope the missing before the recall was the pump and missing after was the harness, only a bit of time will tell. we will see.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
UPDATE on my truck. It was missing before the pump update and started missing after a couple of hundred miles after the cp3 install. 2019 with previous recalls, that was missing badly so they replaced the whole fuel system. seems maybe that the tech may have pinched the injector harness, they replaced it and it is running ok again. I will believe it is FIXED after i drive it for a while, as it has ran OK for periods of time prior to the recall being done. I hope the missing before the recall was the pump and missing after was the harness, only a bit of time will tell. we will see.
There was a TSB on the injector harness IIRC so it may have been faulty before the pump/fuel system change

Wayne007

Reaction score
Well I picked up my truck and they have no clue as to why it throws the "low boost pressure" code. One of the techs went home sick and didn't pass it on if he cleared the code or not, so the second guy was in the dark. He checked for leaks and checked the sensors. As for the increased frequency in regens, that's part of the new programming of the new pump. Personally, I think it's a glitch in Ram's programming. I tried to have them re-flash the program and they said the system won't let them. Maybe @RamCares has some insight. Even the second tech said he's heard of a few cases but didn't hear of a solution. Star was clueless. This reminds me of a Ford I owned!

KBob

Reaction score
As to the uptick in regen cycles, they say that's built into the programming done after a pump swap. Seems as if I went from one problem to another.
A regen every 100 miles is absurd. If there's something in the program to regen more, I wonder what triggers it? As I mentioned before, I immediately towed 8K 1500 miles after the work was done, and it never did a regen once? I did get a regen driving around empty the day after I picked it up, but have not driven it for the last couple weeks since the trip.

Wayne007

Reaction score
A regen every 100 miles is absurd.
To be fair, I haven't actually logged the miles between regens, but that's not a bad assessment since I don't drive more than 60 or so miles when I go out and it seems like it's going into regen every couple of trips or so. I know it's a lot more frequent than before. Like you I towed about 8K the week after the swap about 100 plus miles each way and I didn't notice anything. I still think there's a glitch in the software update.

b1lanc

Reaction score
I noticed that the DP gauge was sitting at about 15% when I picked it up after recall work - was just scrolling through to see if dealer reset the fuel filters to 0 as I asked to have them changed. I've put on well over 1,000 miles mixed driving since and have not noticed a regen but the DP gauge is always at 0% - never moves. Have never seen any regen message on the display either.

thecastle

Reaction score
The truck will passively regen if the exhaust temps are high enough to burn the collected pm. Lots of regens are an issue for people who never drive their truck long and hard enough to heat up the exhaust sufficiently to burn the pm. Also when the engines are cold from short low load drives fuel combustion is worse which also results in more pm being formed. When I tow I never go through an active regen and my dpf level remains at 0. When I drive it around town for short 10 mile drives is when I see a regen pop up frequently. It seems like it’s doing it all the time when your drives are short enough even an active regen isn’t sufficient. Also if the new pump is operating at a lower pressure then fuel atomization will be worse resulting in more unburnt fuel and more pm being trapped in the dpf. ThAts one of the reasons they went to the cp4 was for better pressures, less parasitic loss, for better fuel economy

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The truck will passively regen if the exhaust temps are high enough to burn the collected pm. Lots of regens are an issue for people who never drive their truck long and hard enough to heat up the exhaust sufficiently to burn the pm. Also when the engines are cold from short low load drives fuel combustion is worse which also results in more pm being formed. When I tow I never go through an active regen and my dpf level remains at 0. When I drive it around town for short 10 mile drives is when I see a regen pop up frequently. It seems like it’s doing it all the time when your drives are short enough even an active regen isn’t sufficient. Also if the new pump is operating at a lower pressure then fuel atomization will be worse resulting in more unburnt fuel and more pm being trapped in the dpf. ThAts one of the reasons they went to the cp4 was for better pressures, less parasitic loss, for better fuel economy

They went "back" to a new version of the CP3 (CP-ISB21S3) and a derivative of that new CP3 (CP-ISB19S3) is also what's being installed for the recall. I expect they kept the pressures up through stroking or bore diameter increase.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
From everything im reading the CP3.3 has the same pressures as the CP4…

Users who are viewing this thread