Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

PCPWideeye

Reaction score
The last "glitter bomb" I remember seeing was in Las Vegas at a strip club :D. Great way to describe it though. The service adviser was pretty sure they would need to replace the entire fuel system and talked about the tank forward. I believe the "Kits" he was describing included everything from the tank thru the injectors. That is about the only way we would be comfortable taking this truck back on a road trip, otherwise it would be a very heavy duty around town only grocery getter for the wife.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Sorry to hear! Not a fun experience for sure. Glad you found a good dealership.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Wow what a story! I can’t imagine the stress from being so far from home. Sad that Stellantis isn’t fixing them. ALL of them. I’m not sure what I’m going to do now. Love my truck. Pulls so hard with a trailer. Still seems pretty rare, like under 1% of them suffer this failure, but it’s not comforting.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Wow what a story! I can’t imagine the stress from being so far from home. Sad that Stellantis isn’t fixing them. ALL of them. I’m not sure what I’m going to do now. Love my truck. Pulls so hard with a trailer. Still seems pretty rare, like under 1% of them suffer this failure, but it’s not comforting.
I feel the same way, its very unsettling. My local dealership said they have seen zero failures from their customers (canada). We seem to have less failures here, but i'm sure its just relative to the volume of trucks being sold.

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
Ditto. I went full-time RV'r in July of 2020 and have a 2020 3500 DRW with the HO. I've traveled 16k miles with it, but am now very hesitant to pin up my 44ft, 20k pound 5th wheel, which contains EVERYTHING I own in it, and hit the road. I've been sitting for 6 months at the same place, not what I had in mind when I went full time! I absolutely LOVE my truck and how it pulls but if FCA doesn't do the right thing and fix our trucks, a Medium Duty Freightliner will replace it. No going to buy another RAM when the only choices are being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a bad fuel pump or, for MY2021-2022, having your truck burn to the ground. Good job FCA!

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
I would be VERY, VERY interested in knowing how many of these pump failures were happening to people
who were using some sort of LUBRICITY additive RELIGIOUSLY, I mean every fill-up since new. I have
been using BG DFC w/lubricity since day one and am close to 24k. Fingers crossed. But then I've been using
lubricity additive in all my oil burners since ULSD came out.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would be VERY, VERY interested in knowing how many of these pump failures were happening to people
who were using some sort of LUBRICITY additive RELIGIOUSLY, I mean every fill-up since new. I have
been using BG DFC w/lubricity since day one and am close to 24k. Fingers crossed. But then I've been using
Really looking at the pump design it has nothing to do with lubrication

MtnRider

Reaction score

I've seen 2 post in the past couple of weeks (other forums) that had failures and they used an additive every fill up. It might help but it doesn't seem like it will prevent it. One of those was at 70K as well.

72guy

Reaction score
I’m looking at doing the S&S conversion. Before I dump $3k on a 2019 with 10k miles on it and void the warranty for the next 3 years. Has anyone heard if there is an FCA approved pump conversion that would be paid by the owner and keep the warranty in place?

Dirtbiker70X

Reaction score
I haven't heard of one and doubt it. I am in the same boat and was looking at the same kit this week but have come to the conclusion that if FCA doesn't step up and fix our trucks, properly, then it's probably best to just jack up the oil fill cap and replace the truck! Lol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m looking at doing the S&S conversion. Before I dump $3k on a 2019 with 10k miles on it and void the warranty for the next 3 years. Has anyone heard if there is an FCA approved pump conversion that would be paid by the owner and keep the warranty in place?

Doesn't exist.

Xflight29

Reaction score
Don't worry about it going bad. Just drive it and enjoy it. it is so low in percentage of going bad. We have work trucks with well over 140000 on them with no issues at all.

72guy

Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs. I’ll probably sit tight for a bit longer and see if anything comes out of FCA or NHTSA. In the meantime, I’m draining my filters on a regular basis, shortening up my filter change intervals, and I’m very particular where I refuel. A CP3 or cp-isb21 conversion would go a long way to giving me some peace of mind.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ram has issued a new Recall (Y78), for 2019-2020 heavy duty trucks. The remedy is a new High Pressure Fuel Pump along with a Powertrain Control Module software update. Once the necessary parts are available, we'll sure to follow up with additional information.

Rob
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread