Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

KBob

Reaction score
My 2020 2500 has just under 12k miles, bought new in Sept. 2020. Loaded up trailer to go camping last Thursday. 4 miles from home sitting at stop light the truck dies. Put in park and it turns over for about 5 seconds and dies. Does this three times then nothing. An awesome dude with an 18 ram is passing by and tows me and my trailer home, Badass good samaritan for sure! Unhook trailer at home and call Geico roadside, they tow truck to dealer. Get a call this morning it is the CP4. Replacing the whole fuel system and should have the truck back Friday. Brightside I was going change fuel filters this weekend, won't have to do that now :)
I'm right where you are, but 2020 built if Feb, so early pump just over 10K. Amazing truck that fits my needs perfectly, hasn't used a drop of oil in 5K miles after the first change at 5K. The questions are always, How far had you gone since your last fill up? How confident were you in the fuel station you used? Any hint it was going to go?

Losrocket

Reaction score
I had filled up the night before at a Frys gas station by my house. This is where I always fill up since we grocery shop there and I usually get a $1 off per gallon with points. Exception being when were traveling of course, then its whatever is convenient. I had driven about 50 miles after filling up doing errands to get ready for the trip.

Zero warning it was going to pop. Trucks always started and ran fine. Just sitting at a stop light and died. Dealer is well aware of the issues, Service advisors first question when he called next morning was did it die while driving or dead in driveway. When I said died while driving he already knew it was CP4.

Zsqure - Im not sure which pump I had. Im hoping my Service Advisor can show me the pics that theg took to submit to Cummins or tell me if it had the big dimple. Truck is ready so im picking up today around 5.

KBob

Reaction score
Truck is ready so im picking up today around 5.
Wow! 4 days, they're getting good at replacing them. You have the new style CP-4 for sure now. Let us know if runs the same, better, worse?

Losrocket

Reaction score
SA said he didnt have the pictures for me to see what pump came out so Im hoping it was the older style. I wanted this to this be the last truck I buy for a while so Im hoping for the best out of this new pump. We'll see how it goes.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
I’m sorry for asking such a basic question, but am I understanding everyone when they say they’re getting a pump replaced, they replace it with the SAME defective pump?
Seems like a tidal wave of insanity has washed over RAM if that’s the case?
Mine was build 12/19

KBob

Reaction score
I’m sorry for asking such a basic question, but am I understanding everyone when they say they’re getting a pump replaced, they replace it with the SAME defective pump?
Seems like a tidal wave of insanity has washed over RAM if that’s the case?
Mine was build 12/19
Yes, CP-4 with the symmetrical cam profile is the replacement. 2019, and early 2020 had an asymmetrical cam profiles. New style gives the roller less of a ramp to climb. Otherwise same puck on roller on cam design. Nothing locating the puck in the bore, and they turn sideways at will. Once that happens it's a fast trip to Dead in the Water. Still supposed to hear a solution from FCA by the end of Sep. No clue what that is, it's a well kept secret for now. Don't think dealers even know.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
My 2020 2500 has just under 12k miles, bought new in Sept. 2020. Loaded up trailer to go camping last Thursday. 4 miles from home sitting at stop light the truck dies. Put in park and it turns over for about 5 seconds and dies. Does this three times then nothing. An awesome dude with an 18 ram is passing by and tows me and my trailer home, Badass good samaritan for sure! Unhook trailer at home and call Geico roadside, they tow truck to dealer. Get a call this morning it is the CP4. Replacing the whole fuel system and should have the truck back Friday. Brightside I was going change fuel filters this weekend, won't have to do that now :)
I feel fortunate mine has gone almost 17K and still going. Funny stuff when you spend 70K and find yourself feeling fortunate to have made the 17K mark.....LOL. Sounds like they may be caught up on CP4 replacements.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
My CP4 failed to stay in my truck because I got rid of that thing at 1,200 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
which aftermarket one did you go with? If the "FIX" is worthless, thinking about the S&S CP3.

Lift89

Reaction score
which aftermarket one did you go with? If the "FIX" is worthless, thinking about the S&S CP3.

Industrial injection CP3 with 10mm stroker. If you don’t plan on doing future mods and pushing up to 700-800hp, then I’d go with the s&s no tune with the 8.5mm stroker.

No sense in having that much fuel if you plan on staying somewhat stock or slightly modified.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Industrial injection CP3 with 10mm stroker. If you don’t plan on doing future mods and pushing up to 700-800hp, then I’d go with the s&s no tune with the 8.5mm stroker.

No sense in having that much fuel if you plan on staying somewhat stock or slightly modified.

Strictly stock. Has way more power and torque then I will ever need now. Thanks.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Does the replacement pump require tuning? Or is it simply bolted on, lines connected and off you go? I’m not touching mine while under the extended warranty I paid for, but curious what’s involved

Last edited:

exiledinaz

Reaction score
Does the replacement pump require tuning? Or is it simply bolted on, lines connected and off you go? I’m not touching mine while under the extended warranty I paid for, but curious what’s involved
From the videos I have seen of the S&S CP3 conversion, no tune needed. Adapter plates, but apparently works good. Better then the CP4.

KBob

Reaction score
Well for anyone keeping track 4 injection pumps, a return line, and a fuel tank later they seem to have sorted my truck out. I got it back with about 3500km on it from the last pump and it's got about 5100km on it now without a hiccup.
After re reading everything about your pump failure, it does seem to be different than the usual internal self destruction others have reported. A plugged up fuel line, and seals blowing out sounds like a unique situation. Good to hear the dealer finally got it sorted for you, and you can enjoy your new truck.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ok, now that Fall has started, are there any updates from RamCares concerning the CP4.2 pump? I'm just over 20K miles and have an important trip to Tennessee/Kentucky from Las Vegas NV, pulling the 5ver. We are leaving the 5ver in storage in Tennessee, but still have several trips moving my house hold, more than likely at the max GCWR. RamCares announced that Ram was going to address the CP4.2 failure issue, in the later part of this year, well its Fall now, any word?

Users who are viewing this thread