Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, now that Fall has started, are there any updates from RamCares concerning the CP4.2 pump? I'm just over 20K miles and have an important trip to Tennessee/Kentucky from Las Vegas NV, pulling the 5ver. We are leaving the 5ver in storage in Tennessee, but still have several trips moving my house hold, more than likely at the max GCWR. RamCares announced that Ram was going to address the CP4.2 failure issue, in the later part of this year, well its Fall now, any word?

Follow this thread:

But please for the love of God don't' turn it into a giant crap show. ;-)

gunday

Reaction score
Guys, I have 2020 Ram 3500 dually Cummins 14 months old 96k miles. He is my nightmare

3 CP4
1 Tank Fuel Pump
1 EGR
1 EGR Gasket
1 ECM
2 Brake Rotors
1 Turbo Actuator
Seal, hoses, leaks, ABS sensor

I only used my truck 7 months. the other 7 months parked at dealer to fix.

This is a big Nightmare. More than 40k dollars in business losses.... :confused:

[mod: @RamCares ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Guys, I have 2020 Ram 3500 dually Cummins 14 months old 96k miles. He is my nightmare

3 CP4
1 Tank Fuel Pump
1 EGR
1 EGR Gasket
1 ECM
2 Brake Rotors
1 Turbo Actuator
Seal, hoses, leaks, ABS sensor

I only used my truck 7 months. the other 7 months parked at dealer to fix.

This is a big Nightmare. More than 40k dollars in business losses.... :confused:

Wow....I would lemon law that truck

UglyViking

Reaction score
I would have lemon lawed it months ago.

Bummer we haven't heard anything from Ramcares, at this point I'm becoming less and less surprised. It's a bummer, I was really really thinking they would do the right thing, as it would have wiped all the goodwill they built up with their marketing and product over the past decade.

At this point I'm waiting for black friday sales and keeping my fingers crossed someone offers a CP3 for a decent deal. I'm ready for this to be over.

gunday

Reaction score
It is not easy. They dont wanna pay all my losses. Because this I'm running a law suite against FCA. And you know... when we need the law, the law run like a Turtle with broken leg.... The system was made to help big fishes and not a Base Work force like us. I'm here still fighting to support my family and I cannot fail to pay my taxes....

UglyViking

Reaction score
It is not easy. They dont wanna pay all my losses. Because this I'm running a law suite against FCA. And you know... when we need the law, the law run like a Turtle with broken leg.... The system was made to help big fishes and not a Base Work force like us. I'm here still fighting to support my family and I cannot fail to pay my taxes....
The turtle comment gets me, hahaha.

Well just remember, you keep paying your taxes quarterly. You need to pay your fair share, just like the civil servants in Washington who make sub 200k a year, live in one of the most expensive cities in the nation and end up 4 years later with a portfolio worth, tens of millions? Wait, that can't be right…

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The turtle comment gets me, hahaha.

Well just remember, you keep paying your taxes quarterly. You need to pay your fair share, just like the civil servants in Washington who make sub 200k a year, live in one of the most expensive cities in the nation and end up 4 years later with a portfolio worth, tens of millions? Wait, that can't be right…
Thats good ol liberal math you just gotta know how to carry the 0’s

MtnRider

Reaction score
Not my truck but I did see another report of a failure on a book of faces group yesterday. Failed at 70K which I found interesting and thought I would add it here. Most I had seen previous to that failed at much lower mileage.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
I have decided to trade my truck once supplies chains come back in line (if that ever happens).
I love my truck and it does everything I’d hoped it would do and then some. The improvements said to be forthcoming will be enough incentive, as long as I can get adequate trade in value.
What a damn shame. I can’t believe in 2021 and at my age, it seems like all brands of trucks are still experimenting on the public, rather than presenting us with the option to purchase well tested and proven running gear.

PCPWideeye

Reaction score
Looks like you can add our 2020 2500 to the list of victims! While pulling our enclosed car trailer of a car show from California to Arkansas, the engine died as I pulled away from a diesel fuel pump in Gallup, NM last Tuesday. Mileage is 29,616. The local Ram dealer in Gallup (who will remain nameless) was not very accommodating. Basically told us to get lost and not to tow the vehicle to them as they wouldn't even look at it for 3-4 weeks. They were actually *******'s (not nice people) on the phone. (Sorry we had to bother the local Ram Dealer while stranded 1000 miles from home! I realize it ultimately isn't their problem, but they could have at least been nice about it. We ended up towing it to Larry Miller Dodge in Albuquerque ($1500 tow!!!) who made an appointment for us at 7:00 AM Wednesday morning and told us where we could park the vehicle and leave our trailer after service hours. When they heard the problem in the AM, they seemed fairly certain what the issue was and told us we should call Ram Customer Service and open a case. They also told us to be prepared to be without our vehicle for up to several months until the "kits" would be available to fix this problem. It sounds like it is more than just a fuel pump issue and the entire fuel system needs to be replaced, but time will tell. It is now parked there with several other 6.7's waiting for these kits. We actually saw another one being towed in on a flat bed while we were there! I do want to add the service department staff we dealt with (Howard and Kathy) were outstanding people and offered to go above and beyond to help us.

Dealing with the folks at FCA on the phone didn't quite go the same way at first. It was the typical over promise and under deliver BS. Even phone calls were not returned as promised and we had to chase down our case manager. It wasn't until my wife got on the phone and got a little (maybe a lot) upset with her case manager that they escalated things to the case managers supervisor and decisions start happening. They booked us a rental truck (Ram 3500) for 30 days and said they would ship the vehicle back once it was repaired. My wife uses the truck to tow her horse to various rides and events as well as the many car shows we attend, so a truck that can tow was essential for us.

I will update as things progress.

Attachments

• 20211019_172435.jpg
    20211019_172435.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211019_170956.jpg
    20211019_170956.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 29

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Now THAT'S how you make a first post.

Clear, concise, factual, no cussing.

Thanks for contributing and welcome to HDRams. Sorry you came here under these circumstances.

Very surprised you actually got a suitable rental. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to deal with this with animals in tow.

One recommendation as you probably haven't had time to catch up on all the CP4 related posts. I notice you just fueled up in Gallup, possibly that truck stop there that AZ/NM splits?

Contact that ABQ dealer ASAP and tell them (politely) that if they are going to take fuel samples, you want an independent sample taken at the same time, by proxy if necessary. Find a local diesel shop that's willing to act on your behalf. IF they blame it on fuel contamination there's always a chance FCA will deny warranty coverage, at which point you'll want to engage with your insurance carrier. Having your own sample could potentially help. The carrier can pay for the repairs and subrogate to the fuel station.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it, just offering some advice that may be useful to you.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Looks like you can add our 2020 2500 to the list of victims! While pulling our enclosed car trailer of a car show from California to Arkansas, the engine died as I pulled away from a diesel fuel pump in Gallup, NM last Tuesday. Mileage is 29,616. The local Ram dealer in Gallup (who will remain nameless) was not very accommodating. Basically told us to get lost and not to tow the vehicle to them as they wouldn't even look at it for 3-4 weeks. They were actually *******'s (not nice people) on the phone. (Sorry we had to bother the local Ram Dealer while stranded 1000 miles from home! I realize it ultimately isn't their problem, but they could have at least been nice about it. We ended up towing it to Larry Miller Dodge in Albuquerque ($1500 tow!!!) who made an appointment for us at 7:00 AM Wednesday morning and told us where we could park the vehicle and leave our trailer after service hours. When they heard the problem in the AM, they seemed fairly certain what the issue was and told us we should call Ram Customer Service and open a case. They also told us to be prepared to be without our vehicle for up to several months until the "kits" would be available to fix this problem. It sounds like it is more than just a fuel pump issue and the entire fuel system needs to be replaced, but time will tell. It is now parked there with several other 6.7's waiting for these kits. We actually saw another one being towed in on a flat bed while we were there! I do want to add the service department staff we dealt with (Howard and Kathy) were outstanding people and offered to go above and beyond to help us.

Dealing with the folks at FCA on the phone didn't quite go the same way at first. It was the typical over promise and under deliver BS. Even phone calls were not returned as promised and we had to chase down our case manager. It wasn't until my wife got on the phone and got a little (maybe a lot) upset with her case manager that they escalated things to the case managers supervisor and decisions start happening. They booked us a rental truck (Ram 3500) for 30 days and said they would ship the vehicle back once it was repaired. My wife uses the truck to tow her horse to various rides and events as well as the many car shows we attend, so a truck that can tow was essential for us.

I will update as things progress.

Wow. Sorry about your truck. Horrible of the dealers to treat you like that. That is worse for the Ram name than even having the truck break down. Be sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA

PCPWideeye

Reaction score
Now THAT'S how you make a first post.

Clear, concise, factual, no cussing.

Thanks for contributing and welcome to HDRams. Sorry you came here under these circumstances.

Very surprised you actually got a suitable rental. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to deal with this with animals in tow.

One recommendation as you probably haven't had time to catch up on all the CP4 related posts. I notice you just fueled up in Gallup, possibly that truck stop there that AZ/NM splits?

Contact that ABQ dealer ASAP and tell them (politely) that if they are going to take fuel samples, you want an independent sample taken at the same time, by proxy if necessary. Find a local diesel shop that's willing to act on your behalf. IF they blame it on fuel contamination there's always a chance FCA will deny warranty coverage, at which point you'll want to engage with your insurance carrier. Having your own sample could potentially help. The carrier can pay for the repairs and subrogate to the fuel station.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it, just offering some advice that may be useful to you.
Thanks Brutal_HO! Happy to contribute and let others know what is going on with our Ram. It was an eye opening experience for sure with the Redeye in the trailer and I am thankful we didn't have my wife's horse instead. I only topped off our tank in Gallup, with 12 gallons or so if I remember correctly (the visa bill will confirm this) and in a diesel only stall. I also topped off the DEF as it is cheaper than buying the packaged DEF. I do remember the truck was idling a little rough that morning and my wife had noticed an intermittent rough idle even before the trip, but she just thought it was normal since it is a diesel. Once we topped off, I started the vehicle up to move it out of the pump lane and allow the person behind us to fill up. I moved it maybe 40 yards next to my buddy we were travelling with and as I was stopping, he noticed an odd sound, and told me to come out and listen to it. So I threw it in park, jumped out to hear what he was talking about, but the truck stalled. That was the last time it started. We ended up changing the fuel filters, on the one by the back tank was full of metallic particles on top. It looked like metal flakes from pearl paint...Very fine. We left the filter with the dealership but I did take a few pictures, but only after we had wiped some of the fuel off the filter. I'm no expert, but this can't be good.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say on here as I am sure you know way more than I when it comes to these trucks.

Attachments

• 20211026_143528.jpg
    20211026_143528.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20211026_143535.jpg
    20211026_143535.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20211026_143545.jpg
    20211026_143545.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 48

PCPWideeye

Reaction score
Wow. Sorry about your truck. Horrible of the dealers to treat you like that. That is worse for the Ram name than even having the truck break down. Be sure to file a complaint with the NHTSA
Thanks and I agree Brewbud! We are pretty loyal Dodge customers and were surprised to experience a reception like that from the dealer. No advise on what to do, just a big middle finger for a response from both the receptionist and the service manager! I can say we have not had that experience where we live with our service advisor, or with the folks in Albuquerque. They were fantastic and directed us to open a case with FCA within 30 minutes of arriving for our appointment with them and had the phone number handy (Must happen a lot, LOL). They were well aware of the problem and advised us FCA should also be aware as it has been ongoing. Like I said, they had 4 trucks there with this same issue and another arrived while we were there. My guess is someone from Ram will be contacting the dealer in Gallup, NM, but who knows...

My guess is FCA will take good care of us and all who are affected will get this behind us. I just hope no one gets injured or dies while driving from one of these failures!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Brutal_HO! Happy to contribute and let others know what is going on with our Ram. It was an eye opening experience for sure with the Redeye in the trailer and I am thankful we didn't have my wife's horse instead. I only topped off our tank in Gallup, with 12 gallons or so if I remember correctly (the visa bill will confirm this) and in a diesel only stall. I also topped off the DEF as it is cheaper than buying the packaged DEF. I do remember the truck was idling a little rough that morning and my wife had noticed an intermittent rough idle even before the trip, but she just thought it was normal since it is a diesel. Once we topped off, I started the vehicle up to move it out of the pump lane and allow the person behind us to fill up. I moved it maybe 40 yards next to my buddy we were travelling with and as I was stopping, he noticed an odd sound, and told me to come out and listen to it. So I threw it in park, jumped out to hear what he was talking about, but the truck stalled. That was the last time it started. We ended up changing the fuel filters, on the one by the back tank was full of metallic particles on top. It looked like metal flakes from pearl paint...Very fine. We left the filter with the dealership but I did take a few pictures, but only after we had wiped some of the fuel off the filter. I'm no expert, but this can't be good.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say on here as I am sure you know way more than I when it comes to these trucks.

This is why it's been referred to as a "glitter bomb."

CP4.2 pump sends metal through the whole fuel system. Pump, lines, injectors all have to be replaced. They clean the tank but a few have reported theirs was replaced as the dealer wasn't able to get it clean enough.

The CP3 version pumps (pre 18 and 21+) don't do this - the pump lubrication and fuel supply are isolated. Only the 19-20 year trucks have this pump and there's finally an NHTSA investigation open on them. Be sure to file a complaint on the NHTSA site, too many owners do not.

PCPWideeye

Reaction score

Great advise...I have a good friend in the "Q" that runs a repair shop and is up to speed on this issue. I will give him a call. He actually offered to help, but since it was under warranty, it made sense to have the dealership handle it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Great advise...I have a good friend in the "Q" that runs a repair shop and is up to speed on this issue. I will give him a call. He actually offered to help, but since it was under warranty, it made sense to have the dealership handle it.

Right, just be aware that some have had warranty denied due to "fuel contamination."

I keep a log and all receipts for mine in A-Car (fuelly) app on my phone. Paper copies in the console. Every. Single. Receipt.

If I had a 21-22 under the grid heater relay fire recall, I'd take all that flammable stuff out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread