Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't worry about it as much as I think about what to do when towing the 18 K 5th wheel etc. if it decided to puke out.
Literally anything COULD happen why lose sleep over it, and from what i can tell the likely hood of it failing is rare otherwise there would be huge uproars for both ford and Ram running a cp4…. Yes the cp4 sucks but the only trucks you were almost guaranteed to blow one in was the duramax as they didn't use a lift pump, these trucks you have a better chance of being in an accident than blowing the pump

mcspeed

Reaction score
I didn’t by a Ram due to the CP4. Came real close until I found out about the pump. Took my $80,000 elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I didn’t by a Ram due to the CP4. Came real close until I found out about the pump. Took my $80,000 elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that over a year ago or recently?

mcspeed

Reaction score
That’s also why I didn’t buy a Ford. Bought the Duramax in Feb. I’m not disparaging Ford or Ram, both are fine trucks. Just sharing my thought process.

Living in a hail prone area, aluminum is a bad idea IMO so pretty much ruled out the Ford. CP4 shut the door on that option even tighter.

Drove the Ram and liked it, tranny is old school though as GM and Ford both feature 10 speeds.

I thought the multi pro tailgate was a gimmick until I owned one. Has more utility than I imagined.

Bottom line, all three brands are quite good. I vote with my wallet and decided GMC best meets my needs. After over 5,000 miles, I’m quite happy with my truck. It is powerful, quiet, smooth, comfortable and has all the electronics and technology I want and use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

Reaction score
That’s also why I didn’t buy a Ford. Bought the Duramax in Feb. I’m not disparaging Ford or Ram, both are fine trucks. Just sharing my thought process.

Living in a hail prone area, aluminum is a bad idea IMO so pretty much ruled out the Ford. CP4 shut the door on that option even tighter.

Drove the Ram and liked it, tranny is old school though as GM and Ford both feature 10 speeds.

I thought the multi pro tailgate was a gimmick until I owned one. Has more utility than I imagined.

Bottom line, all three brands are quite good. I vote with my wallet and decided GMC best meets my needs. After over 5,000 miles, I’m quite happy with my truck. It is powerful, quiet, smooth, comfortable and has all the electronics and technology I want and use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bummer because the 21+ Rams no longer use the cp4.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Some times the "on topic" prime directive of a certain mod goes a little too far. That thread may have started as 21 info but it was the definitive CP4 thread on the whole damn internet and in my opinion directly drove official responses from RAM that appeared nowhere else on the internet, as well as increases to traffic to the site of people with RAM HDs that may not otherwise be here. Locking it was a mistake and there's part of me that wonders if RAM requested it to be done because of the bad PR and pressure it put on them. The admin of this site gets good insider info from them to drive the front page news and traffic and I'm sure doesn't want beef with RAM.

Don't be surprised if we never hear from RAMCARES again about the CP4. That thread was the only pressure they had on them to respond. If I disappear from the site for this, remember me for the lulz. For being at the CP4 rallying front line, but most importantly, for my epic post to reaction ratio lol.

You couldn't be more wrong on several points.

The insuation that RAM pressured the site owners to take any action whatsoever is ludicrous. If that were the case it wouldn't still be a sticky in the forum. The site admin isn't involved in day to day mod activities.

That thread served its purpose, @RamCares updated that there was something coming Q3, and it just became one giant unruly lawless slapfest that was impossible to manage.

In future, if you wish to publicly criticize moderator actions or motives, please express your concerns via PM. It's otherwise a violation of the site rules and subject to appropriate action. Furthermore, have to the stones to tag me instead of trying to be stealthy about it. Nobody's going to get disappeared for a single minor infraction.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong on several points.

The insuation that RAM pressured the site owners to take any action whatsoever is ludicrous. If that were the case it wouldn't still be a sticky in the forum. The site admin isn't involved in day to day mod activities.

That thread served its purpose, @RamCares updated that there was something coming Q3, and it just became one giant unruly lawless slapfest that was impossible to manage.

In future, if you wish to publicly criticize moderator actions or motives, please express your concerns via PM. It's otherwise a violation of the site rules and subject to appropriate action. Furthermore, have to the stones to tag me instead of trying to be stealthy about it. Nobody's going to get disappeared for a single minor infraction.

You see every thread of consequence, especially with 6.7s and CP4s as it relates to what you own. No reason to tag you.

As for the rest, I'll see myself out. You can replace all my content contributions with infractions and Net flexing.

Deuces.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
You see every thread of consequence, especially with 6.7s and CP4s as it relates to what you own. No reason to tag you.

As for the rest, I'll see myself out. You can replace all my content contributions with infractions and Net flexing.

Deuces.

Ah come on. Dont bow out. His response was fair.

Opinions are fine... that is what these boards are all about.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I cancelled my membership on a well known 3rd party Ram website, because they, without explanation, edited a thread without any notice. It took us a day to figure out what had happened, they didn't lock it out, just removed some posting comments and changed the thread tittle, it wasn't vulgar or demeaning.

I want to thank Brutal_HO for at least explaining the reason, its a lot better than we got on the other site.

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
I'm doing a marathon 1700 mi run, western Co to Lincoln NE to pick-up new toy.
Thurs pm to Sat. Sitting at 19,800, going to dbl up on lube additive and hope for the best!:eek:

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
I haven’t been around for a few months. Lots to do farming-wise.
Has anything changed? Is this an “all to do about nothing”?
Really don’t know what to do. Been using the pump lubricious additive for about 1 year now. I have 16,000 miles on my 2020 and all seems fine. I know a pump can grenade at any time with few symptoms. I’m under warranty for a long long time. Just don’t know what to do!

RPS1030

Reaction score
I'm doing a marathon 1700 mi run, western Co to Lincoln NE to pick-up new toy.
Thurs pm to Sat. Sitting at 19,800, going to dbl up on lube additive and hope for the best!:eek:

My best guess on my failure, keep fuel in the tank and stop early and often. A few trips prior, there were supply issues and super busy, so I kept going until I could get a better stop.

About freaked out after picking up my new toy during a 1200 mile single day round trip and all 3 stations at one exit had zero diesel. Fortunately I was stopping just under 1/2 tank and the next one was good to go.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I cancelled my membership on a well known 3rd party Ram website, because they, without explanation, edited a thread without any notice. It took us a day to figure out what had happened, they didn't lock it out, just removed some posting comments and changed the thread tittle, it wasn't vulgar or demeaning.

I want to thank Brutal_HO for at least explaining the reason, its a lot better than we got on the other site.
Was that a 3 letter website?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My best guess on my failure, keep fuel in the tank and stop early and often. A few trips prior, there were supply issues and super busy, so I kept going until I could get a better stop.

About freaked out after picking up my new toy during a 1200 mile single day round trip and all 3 stations at one exit had zero diesel. Fortunately I was stopping just under 1/2 tank and the next one was good to go.
Even when the fuel gauge reads empty there is still over 5 gal in the tank

Losrocket

Reaction score
My 2020 2500 has just under 12k miles, bought new in Sept. 2020. Loaded up trailer to go camping last Thursday. 4 miles from home sitting at stop light the truck dies. Put in park and it turns over for about 5 seconds and dies. Does this three times then nothing. An awesome dude with an 18 ram is passing by and tows me and my trailer home, Badass good samaritan for sure! Unhook trailer at home and call Geico roadside, they tow truck to dealer. Get a call this morning it is the CP4. Replacing the whole fuel system and should have the truck back Friday. Brightside I was going change fuel filters this weekend, won't have to do that now :)

zsqure

Reaction score
Is your '20 with the updated CP4? I have a Sept build with the updated pump, also have an Eco with the CP4 with 130k miles which has not grenaded yet.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
My 2020 2500 has just under 12k miles, bought new in Sept. 2020. Loaded up trailer to go camping last Thursday. 4 miles from home sitting at stop light the truck dies. Put in park and it turns over for about 5 seconds and dies. Does this three times then nothing. An awesome dude with an 18 ram is passing by and tows me and my trailer home, Badass good samaritan for sure! Unhook trailer at home and call Geico roadside, they tow truck to dealer. Get a call this morning it is the CP4. Replacing the whole fuel system and should have the truck back Friday. Brightside I was going change fuel filters this weekend, won't have to do that now :)

Sorry to hear, but it sounds like you have a competent dealership so that is good!

Losrocket

Reaction score
Is your '20 with the updated CP4? I have a Sept build with the updated pump, also have an Eco with the CP4 with 130k miles which has not grenaded yet.
Im not sure which CP4 my truck but I would think the older model. I bought it early September and it wasnt on the lot for more than a day so guessing an August build date?

Users who are viewing this thread