Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
To stay on topic, it's good to hear your problem wasn't a CP4 failure. It would be worth getting a dealer to check your batteries....one of them may have a bad cell.
If there was a bad cell it would be dead every day not just the one time

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
I don't know how many times we have to correct this.

The CP4.2 is the 2 piston version of the CP4 series pumps.

There is a CP4.1 single piston and a CP4.2 TWO piston pump.

Please stop posting this same tired misinfornation.

Sorry you're having trouble. My truck is sitting at DIA until I return Tuesday. I hope it starts.

Sent from my work avoidance device
Just wondering if it started? :eek:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I haven't heard of any failures lately, they all seemed to fail with low miles, except for a small percentage of failures after 20K miles. I now have 17K miles on my 2019, hope it stays OK.

clawdog79

Reaction score
I haven't heard of any failures lately, they all seemed to fail with low miles, except for a small percentage of failures after 20K miles. I now have 17K miles on my 2019, hope it stays OK.

I read about a new failure almost weekly. If you’re willing to look for them, you’ll find them. Here is a new failure reported today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wmhjr

Reaction score
3 pages and 1 confirmed CP4 failure?

IIRC, there are certainly more than one reported failure on this site. That being said, I personally know of two in my area. Apparently one in just under 7k miles, and the other somewhere just under 20k miles.

I think you have to look at this in multiple dimensions:

1). The failure is statistically unlikely to happen to an owner (though statistically it appears to be a higher probability than with a CP3, etc)
2). If it does happen, depending on your circumstances, this particular failure could be extremely problematic (ie, some of us pulling livestock with GN trailers - very difficult to deal with)
3). Is FCA stepping up to the plate in supporting their customers (sure does not feel that way- not much in the way of transparency, and more than one report of FCA seeming to try and avoid responsibility by blaming the issue on "bad fuel"
4). What is the impact of this issue on the resale value of the vehicles post warranty? In other words, will this be like the "Don't buy a 2003 MB!" (back when it was Daimler-Chrysler, and quality had dropped). Will people avoid these and prefer either an '18 or a '21 or newer? I sure would if I did my research. Even if you spend the $3k to retrofit the CP3, is it possible that resale value (real world) would still be affected?

These are the reasons that I chose to work out a deal to replace my '20 with roughly 4k miles with a '21. The most important of these were items 1, 2, and 4.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
FCA will ignore the issue, as long as the Feds stay out of it, has anybody heard of the ECO Diesel?

Xflight29

Reaction score
IIRC, there are certainly more than one reported failure on this site. That being said, I personally know of two in my area. Apparently one in just under 7k miles, and the other somewhere just under 20k miles.

I think you have to look at this in multiple dimensions:

1). The failure is statistically unlikely to happen to an owner (though statistically it appears to be a higher probability than with a CP3, etc)
2). If it does happen, depending on your circumstances, this particular failure could be extremely problematic (ie, some of us pulling livestock with GN trailers - very difficult to deal with)
3). Is FCA stepping up to the plate in supporting their customers (sure does not feel that way- not much in the way of transparency, and more than one report of FCA seeming to try and avoid responsibility by blaming the issue on "bad fuel"
4). What is the impact of this issue on the resale value of the vehicles post warranty? In other words, will this be like the "Don't buy a 2003 MB!" (back when it was Daimler-Chrysler, and quality had dropped). Will people avoid these and prefer either an '18 or a '21 or newer? I sure would if I did my research. Even if you spend the $3k to retrofit the CP3, is it possible that resale value (real world) would still be affected?

These are the reasons that I chose to work out a deal to replace my '20 with roughly 4k miles with a '21. The most important of these were items 1, 2, and 4.
Why are you staying with Ram if they will not take care of the 19 and 20 year trucks ? You will loose money by trading in on a 21. Seems to me that Rams issue is making you change trucks with such little mileage. I could not stay with a manufacture that doesn't take care of their costumers. by switching to a 21 Ram you are basically saying, its OK Ram.

Wmhjr

Reaction score
Why are you staying with Ram if they will not take care of the 19 and 20 year trucks ? You will loose money by trading in on a 21. Seems to me that Rams issue is making you change trucks with such little mileage. I could not stay with a manufacture that doesn't take care of their costumers. by switching to a 21 Ram you are basically saying, its OK Ram.

There is no sense me getting emotional about it. It's a financial and risk decision. And for the record, I actually got what I paid for back on the '20. What I'm out is the additional stuff I did (partly) such as rust treatment and paint protection. The lights, side steps, bed step all moved from the '20 to the '21.

This was our decision process. We were not comfortable with the CP4 given the fact that we're pulling horses for distances and in some pretty remote locations. We still needed something to pull them. It was most cost effective to just swap the '20 for the '21. Am I happy with FCA/RAM? Heck no. But I've also been through the ringer some time ago with a Chebby. My '00 Silverado was hands down the worst quality vehicle I've ever owned in my life, and GM completely failed to make that right. Moving to a Ford to get the same capability would be even more expensive.

I needed a truck. It's the least bad of my options. Rest assured, I will not forget what FCA has done. The dealership, however, treated me pretty well.

RPS1030

Reaction score
Just got the call, mine went boom boom at 23,xxx

Northbound out of Vegas on I-15 with the last trailer load of stuff 2 hours from the new house in UT. Felt a bump (not sure if cause or affect), "Service Exhaust System, See Dealer" came up on the cluster. Coasted to the top of the exit as it lost power and finally stalled. 105°+ Sunday afternoon, glad we had the exit sign to hang out under with the GF and Dog. Took my friends coming to get the trailer with their Tundra, a kind sir at the gas station giving up his 2" receiver with 2-5/16" ball, 2 seperate tow trucks (first went to Mesquite, 2nd took the rest of the way to the dealer in St George.

Advisor just called with the prognosis. Will be checking on parts availability/leadtime soon.

flan

Reaction score
That sucks man, good luck on a speedy repair.

RPS1030

Reaction score
Currently still in shock. Just picked it up. Covered in entirety and fixed in under a week.

Attachments

• 88621AD7-E1F6-4D58-80C3-31CE7096122A.jpeg
    88621AD7-E1F6-4D58-80C3-31CE7096122A.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 41543A47-AB9F-4316-8D38-566BA3C6CEF1.jpeg
    41543A47-AB9F-4316-8D38-566BA3C6CEF1.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 103

Cseybert

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2019 with 2300 miles I’m afraid to drive it. Glad you got taken care of quick.

Farmer 5500

Reaction score
Parts availability with RAM is shockingly poor. I know this is slightly off topic, but on April 1 (roughly 7 weeks ago) I brought my 2020 in for failed TPM sensors on 2 of my 6 tires and a blown rear shock absorber. Fast forward to June 21 and the TPMs agave just arrived. Still no rear shock absorber, just an oil leak from the OEM in my driveway as a reminder.
Dealer blames supply chain issues. Come on? A shock absorber and 2 TPMs take almost 2 MONTHS? Sorry for the rant, but that’s crazy-town.
The bigger take away is, will supply chain issues affect CP-4 pump failure parts availability? That has me even more concerned.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Parts availability with RAM is shockingly poor. I know this is slightly off topic, but on April 1 (roughly 7 weeks ago) I brought my 2020 in for failed TPM sensors on 2 of my 6 tires and a blown rear shock absorber. Fast forward to June 21 and the TPMs agave just arrived. Still no rear shock absorber, just an oil leak from the OEM in my driveway as a reminder.
Dealer blames supply chain issues. Come on? A shock absorber and 2 TPMs take almost 2 MONTHS? Sorry for the rant, but that’s crazy-town.
The bigger take away is, will supply chain issues affect CP-4 pump failure parts availability? That has me even more concerned.
All brands are the same for parts shortage, and cp4 failure is still not likely

kobra

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2019 with 2300 miles I’m afraid to drive it. Glad you got taken care of quick.

That's sad and I'm sorry you feel that way.
But, while I respect your decision, I really don't get it... basically, it's like you're saying "I'm scared my truck might break down and I won't be able to drive it; so my solution is to not drive it".

I think there is a balance here; it does seem like there is a valid issue here and RAM needs to step up with a long term solution. However, the issues are rare. I live in farming and oil country, and while there are a lot of pavement princesses with low miles, there are also some trucks that have ran hundreds of thousands of miles since the 2019s came out.

Live neither in fear, nor in denial...

These are great trucks - meant to be driven! ;)

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread