Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
And there is about zero possibility that the CP3 has been in the works since before any of this happened. There is bluntly zero rational explanation as to why they would have changed to the CP4 to begin with if that were the case. Fact is, it's just about absolutely certain that the failure rate of the CP4 is responsible for the CP3 returning to the Ram.
The reason they went to the cp4 is they upped the fuel pressure requirements past what the cp3 could produce now the cp3 has been changed for increased pressure so this could have been the long term plan

Wmhjr

Reaction score
The reason they went to the cp4 is they upped the fuel pressure requirements past what the cp3 could produce now the cp3 has been changed for increased pressure so this could have been the long term plan
I don't agree with that at all. I can't see FCA deploying two variants of the cp4 in less time than they could have changed the cp3. And on top of that, it's also too coincidental to me. AND I think people would have found out about it in the industry before now. That idea just doesn't fly with me.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't agree with that at all. I can't see FCA deploying two variants of the cp4 in less time than they could have changed the cp3. And on top of that, it's also too coincidental to me. AND I think people would have found out about it in the industry before now. That idea just doesn't fly with me.
Im not saying the cp3 was planned thats just why they didnt use it at first

RJenkins1581

Reaction score
Good Evening all! I have a 2020 with 37k on the clock. Live in CO and woke up yesterday to 1* F temp. Started the truck as normal and in about 5 min it shut down. Ran out of fuel. Started it and it would run then die, did that 4 or 5 times. Thinking I gelled up i went and checked both filters to find that in fact i was not gelled up. So I went and got a block warmer cord just for GP and plugged it in. To no luck it's getting towed. Checked for codes, and have none. Checked the fuses and they are all good, can also hear the lift pump running. So the only thing I can come u with is the IP took a crap. Hoping thats not the case and its something else. Its gets towed to the dealer Tuesday.

I will say that the CP4 wasn't "RAMS or FCA" idea. It was Cummins idea to meet the injection pressures needed to stay "clean" Since they have have made the R&D changes toe the CP3. The CP4 was just a stepping stone that all of the Big Three used to meet the even more stringent regs. Ford went from the CP4 to the CP4.2 and well Chevy will figure it out soon enough. The fact that its not a friendly or easy pump to install (ie timed) and tends to fail more often then the CP3 pushed Cummins to figure out the CP3. Remember they have to be-able to put their name behind it, thats why they did what they did.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ford went from the CP4 to the CP4.2

I don't know how many times we have to correct this.

The CP4.2 is the 2 piston version of the CP4 series pumps.

There is a CP4.1 single piston and a CP4.2 TWO piston pump.

Please stop posting this same tired misinfornation.

Sorry you're having trouble. My truck is sitting at DIA until I return Tuesday. I hope it starts.

Sent from my work avoidance device

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good Evening all! I have a 2020 with 37k on the clock. Live in CO and woke up yesterday to 1* F temp. Started the truck as normal and in about 5 min it shut down. Ran out of fuel. Started it and it would run then die, did that 4 or 5 times. Thinking I gelled up i went and checked both filters to find that in fact i was not gelled up. So I went and got a block warmer cord just for GP and plugged it in. To no luck it's getting towed. Checked for codes, and have none. Checked the fuses and they are all good, can also hear the lift pump running. So the only thing I can come u with is the IP took a crap. Hoping thats not the case and its something else. Its gets towed to the dealer Tuesday.

I will say that the CP4 wasn't "RAMS or FCA" idea. It was Cummins idea to meet the injection pressures needed to stay "clean" Since they have have made the R&D changes toe the CP3. The CP4 was just a stepping stone that all of the Big Three used to meet the even more stringent regs. Ford went from the CP4 to the CP4.2 and well Chevy will figure it out soon enough. The fact that its not a friendly or easy pump to install (ie timed) and tends to fail more often then the CP3 pushed Cummins to figure out the CP3. Remember they have to be-able to put their name behind it, thats why they did what they did.
What do you mean chevy will figure it out soon enough? They went to a dephi pump 5 years ago lol you have an abundance of wrong information and FCA choose the CP4 for both the 3.0L eco diesel and the cummins....

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Sitting at DIA waiting for a tow truck.

No start, just click and service filter message. Had I bothered to check the weather outlook last Tuesday when I left, I would have taken the car but the battery in it can't be trusted more than a week in normal temperatures add there's some parasitic draw issue.

Expect they'll have to dolly it out of the garage to get it on the flatbed.

Could not get through on SOS or by calling roadside. @RamCares , I will be contacting you and expect FCA to cover this tow bill.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

No start, just click and service filter message. Had I bothered to check the weather outlook last Tuesday when I left, I would have taken the car but the battery in it can't be trusted more than a week in normal temperatures add there's some parasitic draw issue.

Could not get through on SOS or by calling roadside. @RamCares , I will be contacting you and expect FCA to cover this tow bill.

If you call the dealer they will send the tow truck at least they did for me when i had issues with my jeep

cobradvm

Reaction score

What do you think the problem is? Doesn't seem like it would be a CP4 issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you call the dealer they will send the tow truck at least they did for me when i had issues with my jeep

Dealer was pretty useless, gave me a number to their recommended tow company (turned out well)

What do you think the problem is? Doesn't seem like it would be a CP4 issue.

I was on my phone and should have quoted the earlier post about the Colorado weather related issues and though it might have been frozen up.

Turns out it just needed a jump. Crazy the truck can't sit a week in the parking garage in cold temps without killing the batteries. $60 lesson.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dealer was pretty useless, gave me a number to their recommended tow company (turned out well)

I was on my phone and should have quoted the earlier post about the Colorado weather related issues and though it might have been frozen up.

Turns out it just needed a jump. Crazy the truck can't sit a week in the parking garage in cold temps without killing the batteries. $60 lesson.
Thats pathetic i guess if i ever leave my truck for more than a couple days in the cold ill put my maintainer on the batts

Xflight29

Reaction score

Glad to here that is all it was. have you tried the insulated battery jackets they make for the Ram battery's ? I have a Coe-worker in Pagosa Springs that swears by them.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats pathetic i guess if i ever leave my truck for more than a couple days in the cold ill put my maintainer on the batts

I guess I need to invest in a portable jump pack. I doubt I'll be taking my truck to the airport for these long stays. I'm usually only gone 4-5 days. This was Tue-Tue and through the below zero weather here. Guess all those dang computers suck down the batteries. My 04 could sit for months.

kobra

Reaction score

I admit I haven't paid enough attention to mine to know how long the batteries last. However, subjectively, I've had the maintainer on this truck more than any other in the past.

I just chalked it up to working from home and only driving every week or 2. However, it did surprise me back in Dec after it sat for 2 weeks that the batteries showed Low; I wasn't in a hurry so put them on the charger for a couple of hours and they were fine.

At that time, I just thought they weren't fully charged from the dealer. Now I wonder if there isn't some parasitic drain common to this new generation.

Glad it was only a $60 boost.

B

red

Reaction score
I guess I need to invest in a portable jump pack. I doubt I'll be taking my truck to the airport for these long stays. I'm usually only gone 4-5 days. This was Tue-Tue and through the below zero weather here. Guess all those dang computers suck down the batteries. My 04 could sit for months.

Maybe your batteries are weak. You should charge them fully and get them load tested.
My 2020 3500 just sat for a week in temps at -10f and colder. I plugged the block heater in for one hour and it started with no issues even after cycling the grid heater twice.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe your batteries are weak. You should charge them fully and get them load tested.
My 2020 3500 just sat for a week in temps at -10f and colder. I plugged the block heater in for one hour and it started with no issues even after cycling the grid heater twice.

Weak batteries on a 2020 that has less than 5K miles? It was driven 32 miles and parked.

I guess the dealer can test the batteries when it goes in next.

My 04.5 OE batteries lasted 13 years. THIRTEEN YEARS.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Weak batteries on a 2020 that has less than 5K miles? It was driven 32 miles and parked.

I'm going to have to ask you to get back on topic and move your battery stuff to a different thread or I'm going to alert the mods.

:D

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
My Noco GB70 easily started a Cummins and a Powerstroke the same day. I am sure it could have done more.

red

Reaction score

To stay on topic, it's good to hear your problem wasn't a CP4 failure. It would be worth getting a dealer to check your batteries....one of them may have a bad cell.

Users who are viewing this thread