Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAViKS Surround Camera Installation and Use

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I think @RBarrett said they were in parallel in the tech posts, which is why you couldn't use both the factory AUX and the same RCA.

I haven't installed mine yet, I'll go look at those pins.
Take the above pic, for example. That would be universal, because if you leave the rca’s plugged in, you could use the factory aux cameras (because the aux input circuits are completed from the radio to the truck harness). If you wanted to use your own aftermarket cameras, you would disconnect the rca’s, and plug the aftermarket rca’s into the female pigtail coming out of the connector on the lower right. In that particular pic above, I can tell by the wire positions that the yellow rca is aux 1, and the white rca is aux 2.

RBarrett

Reaction score
This was covered towards the end of the other thread on the Naviks unit. Also in my Auxiliary Camera Inuts page here. After originally thinking they would use the male/female pass thru approach they realized that a change from the factory wire input to the RCAs or visa versa would necessitate pulling apart the dash. Instead they put the RCAs in parallel. Our harnesses are not like that picture.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, my harness has the RCA wired in parallel with each corresponding AUX1 21/22 and AUX2 24/25

I suspect the production units got the splits.

ETA: See post above.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I metered mine and added the labels.

If the cable doesn't lay well, I'll pull the cloth tape off and redo it with my own Tesa cloth tape.

20210130_132516.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What a PITA to stuff the cable (header pushed low) and get the RCA jacks to hang out the RF corner below the head unit. I suppose they're trying to limit noise by keeping them short, but the RCA cables could have been 1/2" to 1" longer,

With the way they wrapped the harness, the NAViKS box had to be stuffed to the lower right behind the dash.

I should have redone the taping...

@RBarrett I found a few operational issues/nits so far.

1. I couldn't get the turn signal activation to enable with Mute, ended up using Volume down.

2. Turn signal camera kills the front camera view (doesn't return) while going from Reverse to Drive. It returns to the home screen. Works as expected if it stays in reverse. I expect it has something to do with the "delay" option that's enabled in the settings. I haven't checked this yet while underway.

@Jimmy07 Now that I think about it, I wonder if that delay setting is what's causing me grief trying to enable the Off Road camera option?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
This was covered towards the end of the other thread on the Naviks unit. Also in my Auxiliary Camera Inuts page here. After originally thinking they would use the male/female pass thru approach they realized that a change from the factory wire input to the RCAs or visa versa would necessitate pulling apart the dash. Instead they put the RCAs in parallel. Our harnesses are not like that picture.

I metered mine and added the labels.

If the cable doesn't lay well, I'll pull the cloth tape off and redo it with my own Tesa cloth tape.

View attachment 11288
Ok, I see what they did. Although, I don’t see how it alleviates having to pull the radio if switching input wires, unless those pigtails are somehow long enough to get at under the steering column knee panel...
@Jimmy07 Now that I think about it, I wonder if that delay setting is what's causing me grief trying to enable the Off Road camera option?
The only thing the camera delay on does is keeps the 360 view on for up to 10 seconds, or 8 mph, after coming out of reverse. If you have it on, possibly it might conflict with the naviks unit? But, that CSM is enabled on a power wagon, so I can’t see it messing with the front track gridlines whether it is turned on or off in the radio settings.

RBarrett

Reaction score
The thought for the input switching is not that you would do it under the dash but you would have run cable, that you connected to those RCA inputs, somewhere to a remote RCA type camera (like on a trailer) with a disconnect somewhere in that path (like at the bumper). Then if you had another trailer that used the factory connector you would just use that after disconnecting the RCA input at the bumper. There are many variations of course but the RCA wiring would have been extended somewhere not only out from the dash but most likely out of the cab itself.

Brutal_HO - I'll see how my unit behaves. There's no question I could have missed something or combination of things that may cause some type of issue or behavior we don't expect. I have never messed with the delay setting so will look at that too. Good feedback!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I see what they did. Although, I don’t see how it alleviates having to pull the radio if switching input wires, unless those pigtails are somehow long enough to get at under the steering column knee panel...

The only thing the camera delay on does is keeps the 360 view on for up to 10 seconds, or 8 mph, after coming out of reverse. If you have it on, possibly it might conflict with the naviks unit? But, that CSM is enabled on a power wagon, so I can’t see it messing with the front track gridlines whether it is turned on or off in the radio settings.

The pigtails barely get past the radio head unit box. I can get a better pic tomorrow, but one of RBarrett's images in the install shows them.

I believe what the CSM Camera Delay does is keep the front camera on after coming out of reverse. It would otherwise always go off until I set that option that was present in the CSM from factory.

My front camera will stay on indefinitely if I sit with the truck in Drive after coming out of reverse. But yes, the cameras do all turn off at 8MPH, which is of course why we're all doing the NAViKS. :cool:

One other thing I noticed (prior to all this) that I think is an option I enabled with AlfaOBD trying to get the PW frotn camera option to take is guidelines showing on the overhead 360°.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The thought for the input switching is not that you would do it under the dash but you would have run cable, that you connected to those RCA inputs, somewhere to a remote RCA type camera (like on a trailer) with a disconnect somewhere in that path (like at the bumper). Then if you had another trailer that used the factory connector you would just use that after disconnecting the RCA input at the bumper. There are many variations of course but the RCA wiring would have been extended somewhere not only out from the dash but most likely out of the cab itself.

Brutal_HO - I'll see how my unit behaves. There's no question I could have missed something or combination of things that may cause some type of issue or behavior we don't expect. I have never messed with the delay setting so will look at that too. Good feedback!

Copy that.

On my old truck, I had an aftermarket HU and hacked it (coded) to allow DVD, Video input, etc. while driving. I had a panel setup with a couple switches and RCA AV/L/R inputs that I could force the reverse (trailer) camera circuit on, or use the stock reverse trigger, or an outside AV source. I can see the NAViKS pigtails being useful as you describe, but its setup for only video.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
The pigtails barely get past the radio head unit box. I can get a better pic tomorrow, but one of RBarrett's images in the install shows them.

I believe what the CSM Camera Delay does is keep the front camera on after coming out of reverse. It would otherwise always go off until I set that option that was present in the CSM from factory.

My front camera will stay on indefinitely if I sit with the truck in Drive after coming out of reverse. But yes, the cameras do all turn off at 8MPH, which is of course why we're all doing the NAViKS. :cool:

One other thing I noticed (prior to all this) that I think is an option I enabled with AlfaOBD trying to get the PW frotn camera option to take is guidelines showing on the overhead 360°.
You definitely have something weird going on, then. When camera delay is on, the exact same overhead view and backup camera view with dynamic gridlines will remain on when you shift out of reverse. It should not be switching to the front camera view when coming out of reverse, unless that is a function of the naviks.
For the guidelines on the overhead view, those should have always been there if you have dynamic grid line turned on in the settings.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You definitely have something weird going on, then. When camera delay is on, the exact same overhead view and backup camera view with dynamic gridlines will remain on when you shift out of reverse. It should not be switching to the front camera view when coming out of reverse, unless that is a function of the naviks.
For the guidelines on the overhead view, those should have always been there if you have dynamic grid line turned on in the settings.

The operation I've described was all well before the NAViKS install.

The overhead view doesn't change for R or D, just the camera view screen.

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I'm 99% certain that before setting the CSM delay on, changing from R to D would drop the R camera. After changing the delay to on, changing form R to D flips it to the front camera. It doesn't timeout, only drops the camera views if >8MPH. I remember this because it was annoying as hell to have to hit the Front camera button every time.

RBarrett

Reaction score
OK I just checked my trucks behavior on this if I am understanding you correctly. First off the behavior I see is the same whether or not I have activated the Naviks blinker function. Secondly I have not ever set that delay function to on before so can't speak to what happens before Naviks was installed. With system set to off I get reverse camera and overhead view as soon as shifting to reverse.. As soon as I shift to drive it goes to my normal radio screen. With system set to on I get same thing in reverse but once I shift to drive I get the front camera and overhead view for some number of seconds and then it times out unless I shift back to reverse which then starts things over again. So unlike before if pulling into a parking space and I'm not sure if I'm too much or too little the camera is following my shifting. Much handier than my previous approach which was to manually activate the surround camera for that forward direction tweek. I am curious if this isn't how it is supposed to work. As for the Mute button I understand why you think it doesn't work. The timing is pretty sensitive. At the speed I would use if like you were say we'll go on 4 and then the 1-2-3-4 I push on the 1 and the 4. For me this took a while to get down before having it set in my head. For this reason one of the other methods may suit other users preference.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OK I just checked my trucks behavior on this if I am understanding you correctly. First off the behavior I see is the same whether or not I have activated the Naviks blinker function. Secondly I have not ever set that delay function to on before so can't speak to what happens before Naviks was installed. With system set to off I get reverse camera and overhead view as soon as shifting to reverse.. As soon as I shift to drive it goes to my normal radio screen. With system set to on I get same thing in reverse but once I shift to drive I get the front camera and overhead view for some number of seconds and then it times out unless I shift back to reverse which then starts things over again. So unlike before if pulling into a parking space and I'm not sure if I'm too much or too little the camera is following my shifting. Much handier than my previous approach which was to manually activate the surround camera for that forward direction tweek. I am curious if this isn't how it is supposed to work. As for the Mute button I understand why you think it doesn't work. The timing is pretty sensitive. At the speed I would use if like you were say we'll go on 4 and then the 1-2-3-4 I push on the 1 and the 4. For me this took a while to get down before having it set in my head. For this reason one of the other methods may suit other users preference.

To be clear, I didn't intend to say the Mute option doesn't work,. I couldn't get it to work for me... :)

I'll check my cameras again after I get the truck back together. I left it last night so I could add a 4-pin to RCA camera cable adapter to AUX2.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I think I figured it out and we're all right to a degree...

If I select the surround view, the front camera will stay on indefinitely in N or D (or >8MPH).

If I use R at any time and go back to N or D, it times out.

Also, more pics of the video cables. Still a little to tight for my liking but I had to get things buttoned up and didn't want to pull power again.

I'll probably remove everything when I get my truck in for the A/C TSB and will redo the NAViKS harness at that time. I'd like tou route AUX2 out the left spot and stuff AUX1 up to avoid the sharp bends.

2021-01-31 16_33_48-20210131_153554-edited.jpg

RossT

Reaction score
So, with the Naviks module I can add an aux camera to view my GN hitch? I don't have the factory trailer camera system, if that matters.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
So, with the Naviks module I can add an aux camera to view my GN hitch? I don't have the factory trailer camera system, if that matters.
Hi, Ross. I can appreciate this is a little overwhelming. But, in a word, "No."
The NAViKs module discussed in this thread is for use in addition to the factory 360 camera system. There may be other options or even NAVIKs units that might help you out. Check out the add-camera options NAVIKs provides here: https://naviks.com/c-1137501-video-camera-interface.html

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need the factory trailer camera option.

You do need the 360° camera option.

If your truck is a 2019, you'll get only AUX1. 2020 gets AUX1 and AUX2.

You don't have to install the wiring kit, but the trailer camera sales code still has to be enabled using an AlfaOBD setup.

RossT

Reaction score
Thanks Brutal, I have a 20 with the surround view.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Thank @TXsportDiver I'll look at it.
@RossT, my apologies, I misread your post as though you said you did not have the factory camera system (not that you don't have the trailer cam system).

So, @Brutal_HO is absolutely right. Disregard my mention of the add-a-cam NAVIKS unit. Instead, focus on the NAVIKS system mentioned in this thread and elsewhere to Force 360 camera system.

Users who are viewing this thread