Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAViKS Surround Camera Installation and Use

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I think you will still need to enable the Aux trailer camera option in the BCM. I don't know that anyone has yet to use the NAViKS that didn't already have this (or installed the Mopar kit).

Which means needing the MOPAR module, correct? Or do all 20s have it in the BCM for Alpha to switch on?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Which means needing the MOPAR module, correct? Or do all 20s have it in the BCM for Alpha to switch on?

Not aware of any module. @Phil T added the camera wiring to his 19. AFAIK, it's just wiring to run and plug into the radio connector head. Unless it's been rolled back into the MY2019 in AlfaOBD, you'll have to use Windows AlfaOBD to force it to MY2020 to enable the option. This is all covered in the larger Aux Trailer camera thread.

Perhaps you're thinking of Trailer TPMS that requires parts/modules to add.

Assuming NAViKS is on those same wires with their RCA inputs considering @RBarrett said they're shared and cannot be used simultaneously.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
I'm working on installing the NAVIKS unit. I appreciate the instructions a lot. I recommend before yanking out the top of the center console, add a step to put a towel over the gear shift stalk to avoid scratching the console/screen. There's not much room there...and the release to a good yank can be pretty violent

Attachments

• 16106453749353886999808174921799.jpg
    16106453749353886999808174921799.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 38

RBarrett

Reaction score
I pull out the screen with multiple short throw jerk motions so nothing moves far or fast. The first time you do this is more difficult though and better safe than sorry. In any event your tip has been added. Thanks

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
I think you will still need to enable the Aux trailer camera option in the BCM. I don't know that anyone has yet to use the NAViKS that didn't already have this (or installed the Mopar kit).
I installed the NAVIKS unit today, in my truck without Aux camera wiring. I can confirm camera stay-on functionality and the turn signal (kludgy) interface. (I didn't test the NAV search function). Unfortunately, I can confirm you're correct in that simply adding the NAVIKs unit does not enable the Aux inputs. However, I left the NAVIKs in place and ran an RCA cable from the NAVIKS coiled at the driver footwell.

If I understand correctly, I think I can get AlfaOBD, an interface, gateway bypass cable and sort out how to enable the Aux inputs for my RCA inputs to become active. Have I got that right?

Given my experience of just plugging in the NAVIKs, I'm curious. For those with the Aux inputs enabled (either by factory wiring harness or by enablement through AlfaOBD) is the camera/control screen different? Do you see Aux inputs as selectable options along with the surround, front, rear, cargo, etc. views?

Last edited:

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
I'm working on installing the NAVIKS unit. I appreciate the instructions a lot. I recommend before yanking out the top of the center console, add a step to put a towel over the gear shift stalk to avoid scratching the console/screen. There's not much room there...and the release to a good yank can be pretty violent
I pull out the screen with multiple short throw jerk motions so nothing moves far or fast. The first time you do this is more difficult though and better safe than sorry. In any event your tip has been added. Thanks
Thanks @RBarrett. I appreciate your flexibility in adding the warning.

I had previously removed the 12" Uconnect in a 1500 by prying it out with trim tools. I didn't like that much (a residual scuff or two around the bezel). So, I tried the hard yank-at-the-top of the console (fingers where the rubber tray was) on my 3500. I guess I went a little too big because the screen/bezel, as well as the trim around the 4X2/4X4 selector all came out in one shot. Had I not put a towel over the shifter, I'd have destroyed something...and probably have thrown up a bit!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @RBarrett. I appreciate your flexibility in adding the warning.

I had previously removed the 12" Uconnect in a 1500 by prying it out with trim tools. I didn't like that much (a residual scuff or two around the bezel). So, I tried the hard yank-at-the-top of the console (fingers where the rubber tray was) on my 3500. I guess I went a little too big because the screen/bezel, as well as the trim around the 4X2/4X4 selector all came out in one shot. Had I not put a towel over the shifter, I'd have destroyed something...and probably have thrown up a bit!

The whole screen/bezel does come out as one piece, though the 4x4 panel shouldn't come with it.

I also place a towel at the bottom to protect everything.

There's several decent vids but here's one (on a 1500) that's not too bad, gets to the point, and is not terribly wordy/rambling (hate those).

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
The whole screen/bezel does come out as one piece, though the 4x4 panel shouldn't come with it.

I also place a towel at the bottom to protect everything.

There's several decent vids but here's one (on a 1500) that's not too bad, gets to the point, and is not terribly wordy/rambling (hate those).

Yep, that's a good video. That's almost exactly how I did it.

But, with our diesels' shifter stalk (versus the shifter knob on the 1500 in the video) being in front of the screen/bezel, without a towel over the knob, I'd have scratched the heck out of the bezel/screen.

Like you, I had a towel at the bottom...and a towel over the shifter stalk. I was surprised when the 4X4 panel came with it. But, it didn't do any damage.

Ramit530

Reaction score
Well I am truly glad for some of the comments/feedback and I went back and re-read most of this, as well as the Always On Camera Solution thread. I saw where I missed the need to have the truck either purchased with the trailer camera set-up and or the need for the Alpha OBD to enable that.
After seeing that, the responses to the Turn Signal Camera delay, the inability of visual indication of enable/disabling various commands and such, I contacted Naviks yesterday and spoke with Tech Support and it was decided to return the unit. (Had not gotten a chance to actually look at install due to hip surgery and luckily I called on day 30 for an RMA)
I wish you all great success with this hopefully as some have mentioned as Naviks improves things, there can be a firmware update to the purchased/installed units.

@Brutal_HO I also have been following your input on the various cameras out there and honestly I am like you in the regards of selling a product with specs that aren't factual. For that helped as well in the decision to return it.

As I mentioned and asked about this working in a 2021 unit, I believe (if the numbers work out) I will be ordering shortly. This will give me a whole different approach to a trailer camera. With the digital rear view mirror, one could use a similar camera and switch from tailgate camera to trailer camera with a little ingenuity !

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
I was under the impression I could just plug in a camera (non mopar aftermarket) to the RCA connectors in the Naviks unit and have the ability to view this camera, is this not the case?
I had a similar unit on my 2017 RAM 1500 that added 2 aux. inputs that worked fine but that unit came with software on a jump drive that updated the radio to work with the 2 auxiliary inputs.
Naviks advertises this unit with 2 auxiliary inputs for cameras, if it needs software updates those should be included...
I'm going to be very disappointed if I have to purchase some kind of programmer to make this thing work.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I was under the impression I could just plug in a camera (non mopar aftermarket) to the RCA connectors in the Naviks unit and have the ability to view this camera, is this not the case?
I had a similar unit on my 2017 RAM 1500 that added 2 aux. inputs that worked fine but that unit came with software on a jump drive that updated the radio to work with the 2 auxiliary inputs.
Naviks advertises this unit with 2 auxiliary inputs for cameras, if it needs software updates those should be included...
I'm going to be very disappointed if I have to purchase some kind of programmer to make this thing work.

I don't understand how everyone is making assumptions that this magically turns on a sales feature you don't already have in the truck.

The AUX Trailer camera option has to exist or be enabled.

NAViKS is just adding RCA connectors for additional convenience, and to add AUX2 for 2019 trucks that were not wired for it.

ETA: It hasn't been confirmed that it's possible to enable AUX2 on 2019 trucks. One should assume it's not going to be there.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
is there a sales code to enable the Aux 2 as well?
can this be enabled at the dealer ?

AFAIK, there is no separate code/setting specifically for AUX2.

@RBarrett comment about AUX2 isn't yet confirmed and may just be an assumption on his/NAViKS part. I think we were waiting to see if @Phil T or another 2019 owner with only AUX1 was able to use AUX2. If AUX2 isn't showing on the radio, then it probably won't work.

It's possible the dealer can enable the sales code, but only your dealer can tell you that. I highly doubt they would do it without installing the actual AUX Trailer wring kit. The dealer would probably charge more than the cost to get setup with AlfaOBD and there's so many more things you can do with AlfaOBD.

RBarrett

Reaction score
I wrote up my understanding of this issue on Dec. 4th in the other thread. Sorry if you missed it. Included here:

The Aux inputs are identified in one of the trucks camera view screens. It may be that only trucks ordered with the optional camera wiring have this. I don't remember. There is a harness to add this option after the fact so there must be a way to activate the Aux inputs later also. Perhaps Alpha OBD would do this and allow external camera input with just Naviks RCAs. The 2019s had one Aux and the 20s have two. It may also be that trucks have none. The Naviks unit would get you one step closer in any event. Perhaps somebody who has added the harness might chime in here.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I wrote up understanding of this issue on Dec. 4th in the other thread. Sorry if you missed it.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
Well, I guess I might as well go ahead and get the Alfa OBD since I'll be going to larger tires some day and would like to add trailer TPMS as well....
Could someone please share what all is needed for Alfa OBD for my 2020 3500 HO and where to purchase?
Thanks!

[Mod edit: Asked and answered in the AlfaOBD thread.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil T

Reaction score
AFAIK, there is no separate code/setting specifically for AUX2.

@RBarrett comment about AUX2 isn't yet confirmed and may just be an assumption on his/NAViKS part. I think we were waiting to see if @Phil T or another 2019 owner with only AUX1 was able to use AUX2. If AUX2 isn't showing on the radio, then it probably won't work.

It's possible the dealer can enable the sales code, but only your dealer can tell you that. I highly doubt they would do it without installing the actual AUX Trailer wring kit. The dealer would probably charge more than the cost to get setup with AlfaOBD and there's so many more things you can do with AlfaOBD.
I didn't think to even try the aux2 input. I don't think it would be possible on my 2019, but if there is a setting for it in the bcm, maybe it would work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ramit530

Reaction score
I don't understand how everyone is making assumptions that this magically turns on a sales feature you don't already have in the truck.

The AUX Trailer camera option has to exist or be enabled.

NAViKS is just adding RCA connectors for additional convenience, and to add AUX2 for 2019 trucks that were not wired for it.
Nobody made an assumption, on my part it was clearly missed in conversation here regarding the need for the truck to have been ordered w Trailer Camera package or to hopefully use the Alpha programmer. Sorry if some of us aren’t so up to speed as others and did not know!!!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody made an assumption, on my part it was clearly missed in conversation here regarding the need for the truck to have been ordered w Trailer Camera package or to hopefully use the Alpha programmer. Sorry if some of us aren’t so up to speed as others and did not know!!!

Well, sorry about that. I added a warning to the first post in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread