Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NAViKS Surround Camera Installation and Use

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
I have the NAViKS unit installed, bought an OBDLink MX+ and am waiting on a KaodTech security gateway bypass cable to arrive. I'll be installing AlfaOBD on my Android phone. Once the puzzle pieces are all in place, I'll be brand new to AlfaOBD and the world it opens up. Does anyone have any suggestions or directions on what/where I might look in AlfaOBD to try to enable Aux input(s) (I only plan on using one) on my 2020?

Any help would be appreciated; the more specific the better :) Thanks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the NAViKS unit installed, bought an OBDLink MX+ and am waiting on a KaodTech security gateway bypass cable to arrive. I'll be installing AlfaOBD on my Android phone. Once the puzzle pieces are all in place, I'll be brand new to AlfaOBD and the world it opens up. Does anyone have any suggestions or directions on what/where I might look in AlfaOBD to try to enable Aux input(s) (I only plan on using one) on my 2020?

Any help would be appreciated; the more specific the better :) Thanks.

Should just be:

Car Configuration Change

VehConfig 8-Auxilliary Trailer Camera Present = Yes

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Should just be:

Car Configuration Change

VehConfig 8-Auxilliary Trailer Camera Present = Yes
Thanks @Brutal_HO Hopefully, that does the trick. I'll report back in when I get there. It seems I'm not alone in sorting out how to add the Aux Trailer Camera functions.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Thanks @Brutal_HO Hopefully, that does the trick. I'll report back in when I get there. It seems I'm not alone in sorting out how to add the Aux Trailer Camera functions.
It looks like changing the...VehConfig 8-Auxilliary Trailer Camera Present = Yes
...setting would work. But, AlfaOBD Android is only recognizing MY 2016-2017...So, VehConfig 8 is not an available option to me at this time.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like changing the...VehConfig 8-Auxilliary Trailer Camera Present = Yes
...setting would work. But, AlfaOBD Android is only recognizing MY 2016-2017...So, VehConfig 8 is not an available option to me at this time.

Check for an update. Alexey just fixed this issue for my Windows version and although I didn't see that on Android, I think the app was updated yesterday.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Check for an update. Alexey just fixed this issue for my Windows version and although I didn't see that on Android, I think the app was updated yesterday.
It looks like the Android version is updated to allow connections to the MY2020Net (sic).
I installed the latest version of AlfaOBD (2.1.9.7) from Google Play on Saturday, 01/23/2021. For the first time, I was able to connect to MY2020Net (sic) and was able to make some changes (Enable Aux Camera and display Gear in Cluster). I've not yet tested with a camera source...plan to do that some time on Sunday.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
It looks like the Android version is updated to allow connections to the MY2020Net (sic).
I installed the latest version of AlfaOBD (2.1.9.7) from Google Play on Saturday, 01/23/2021. For the first time, I was able to connect to MY2020Net (sic) and was able to make some changes (Enable Aux Camera and display Gear in Cluster). I've not yet tested with a camera source...plan to do that some time on Sunday.
I'm pleased to confirm the settings change and NAViKs unit combination worked! I now have two functioning Aux Trailer Camera inputs on my 2020 RAM.
Thank you to @Brutal_HO, @RBarrett, @Jimmy07, and others for paving the way.

The attached pics show the Aux Camera selection now appears (it did not show up before making the settings change via AlfaOBD. Kindly ignore messy garage), and...
AuxCam1.jpg

...the Aux 1 and Aux 2 "Trailer Camera" enabled selections display "camera" input.
I didn't have a camera available, so I tested both inputs with the RCA output from a portable DVD player and one of my kids' DVDs (Robots, 2005).
AuxCam3.jpg

This is without the factory MOPAR Aux Camera Prep option (XFQ sales code) or the later addition of the Trailer Camera Vehicle Prep Kit - Mopar (82215833AB). The NAViKs unit effectively substitutes for the prep kit.
I should now be able to use cameras (or other output devices) with RCA outputs to provide video (no audio) on my 12" UConnect screen.
Note: I have no way to confirm if making the same change on a 2019 will enable one or two aux cameras.

While this is fresh, I'd like to summarize I used the following to make the change:
NAViKs - Force OEM 360 System - 2019 - 2020 RAM 1500 / 2500 / 3500 UCONNECT 12" (4C) 360 SURROUND-VIEW CAMERA SYSTEM IN MOTION + MOTION LOCKOUT BYPASS $300 (regularly $375)
AlfaOBD - Android $49
OBDLink MX+ - $99 [Other devices would have also worked, but we have a Suburban (GM) I might also like to talk to and the MX+ supports them]
KAOdTECH Security Gateway Bypass Cable for RAM 2019+ HD 2500+ - $55

As @Brutal_HO instructed, the setting to change in AlfaOBD is: VehConfig 8-Auxilliary Trailer Camera Present = Yes

My intended use is for an RV backup camera that displays on my console screen vs an add-on monitor in the cab. As of now, I'm in for about $500 and I still need a camera and cabling to connect my RV, truck, and the NAViKS unit. If I were to go as cheap as possible, that'd probably be about $25 for a camera and RCA/power cables. But, I'll likely spend-up to get a better camera ($50) and quick connect cable kit. An all-in-one camera/cable kit I've seen is Brandmotion 9002-7801V2 for about $170. I'm definitely open to less expensive camera and quick-connect trailer-to-truck cabling.

So, for approx. $650-$700, I'll have an RV backup camera that's integrated into my console and I'll have an additional Aux input available. While the total cost may be similar to the Mopar prep kit and camera kit combination, I'll have more flexibility on the camera and connection hardware I choose to use

The Brandmotion 9002-7801V2 from Crutchfield
1611525324420.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My intended use is for an RV backup camera that displays on my console screen vs an add-on monitor in the cab. As of now, I'm in for about $500 and I still need a camera and cabling to connect my RV, truck, and the NAViKS unit. If I were to go as cheap as possible, that'd probably be about $25 for a camera and RCA/power cables. But, I'll likely spend-up to get a better camera ($50) and quick connect cable kit. An all-in-one camera/cable kit I've seen is Brandmotion 9002-7801V2 for about $170. I'm definitely open to less expensive camera and quick-connect trailer-to-truck cabling.

So, for approx. $650-$700, I'll have an RV backup camera that's integrated into my console and I'll have an additional Aux input available. While the total cost may be similar to the Mopar prep kit and camera kit combination, I'll have more flexibility on the camera and connection hardware I choose to use

1611527184423.png

Just a reminder for anyone that it matters to, the Brandmotion camera kit discussed in some of the threads isn't the advertised 90° vertical view, it's only 70°. I've had emails with their "support" guy and he just doesn't get it.

The only decent 90° vertical view IR LED lit camera I've found is one at RVCAMS.COM

I'm going to keep the Brandmotion mostly for all the wiring, and because I'm now outside the 90 day return for Crutchfield, but use a better cam from rvcams for my setup. I need to see the bumper hitch on my 5th wheel to hook up my boat AND see over the boat. I'll setup the brandmotion camera for something else, probably a better in-bed camera since my crossover box partially blocks that view.

licknab

Reaction score
I'm pleased to confirm the settings change and NAViKs unit combination worked! I now have two functioning Aux Trailer Camera inputs on my 2020 RAM.
Thank you to @Brutal_HO, @RBarrett, @Jimmy07, and others for paving the way.

The attached pics show the Aux Camera selection now appears (it did not show up before making the settings change via AlfaOBD. Kindly ignore messy garage), and...
View attachment 11044

...the Aux 1 and Aux 2 "Trailer Camera" enabled selections display "camera" input.
I didn't have a camera available, so I tested both inputs with the RCA output from a portable DVD player and one of my kids' DVDs (Robots, 2005).
View attachment 11045

This is without the factory MOPAR Aux Camera Prep option (XFQ sales code) or the later addition of the Trailer Camera Vehicle Prep Kit - Mopar (82215833AB). The NAViKs unit effectively substitutes for the prep kit.
I should now be able to use cameras (or other output devices) with RCA outputs to provide video (no audio) on my 12" UConnect screen.
Note: I have no way to confirm if making the same change on a 2019 will enable one or two aux cameras.

While this is fresh, I'd like to summarize I used the following to make the change:
NAViKs - Force OEM 360 System - 2019 - 2020 RAM 1500 / 2500 / 3500 UCONNECT 12" (4C) 360 SURROUND-VIEW CAMERA SYSTEM IN MOTION + MOTION LOCKOUT BYPASS $300 (regularly $375)
AlfaOBD - Android $49
OBDLink MX+ - $99 [Other devices would have also worked, but we have a Suburban (GM) I might also like to talk to and the MX+ supports them]
KAOdTECH Security Gateway Bypass Cable for RAM 2019+ HD 2500+ - $55

As @Brutal_HO instructed, the setting to change in AlfaOBD is: VehConfig 8-Auxilliary Trailer Camera Present = Yes

The Brandmotion 9002-7801V2 from Crutchfield
View attachment 11039
This is great! I've got a wired camera system on my TH and used a separate 7" screen in my '13 Ram. It came with RCA plugs so I think I am set if I get the NAViKs

licknab

Reaction score
If I just go order the Naviks that is linked above, does it come with RCA cables? Just want to make sure since the photo doesn't show them and it doesn't look like there is a method to add the discount code any longer. Just want to make sure I get the correct part. I already have AlphaOBD, so just need this and the security bypass cable.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
If I just go order the Naviks that is linked above, does it come with RCA cables? Just want to make sure since the photo doesn't show them and it doesn't look like there is a method to add the discount code any longer. Just want to make sure I get the correct part. I already have AlphaOBD, so just need this and the security bypass cable.
It comes with two female RCA jacks integrated into the harness.

RBarrett

Reaction score
The units provided to us as part of the group buy had the RCAs as those above noted. Those were not originally part of the unit for the HD Ram application and were included because of the interest we had from this group to have an alternative input. If I were you I'd add a note to your order just to make sure they add them to your units harness as I don't know if the plan is to add them to every one from now on or not.

Last edited:

licknab

Reaction score
Yeah, I am actually a little worried about that. I called and spoke with someone who seemed to have no idea what I was referring to and told me I needed some other part if I want to have RCA inputs... So I am unsure where I am at.. I did place the order and they sent me a follow up email asking how many cameras my truck has and asked for pictures of the screen with it in reverse. I just want the same thing you all bought in the group buy.

licknab

Reaction score
@RBarrett can you put me in contact with your person there? Maybe you or I can send them my order # to ensure I get the same thing you all got.

RBarrett

Reaction score
There request of you to send a picture is so they can verify you have the 5 camera 360 surround view equipped truck with a 12 inch screem. They get too many orders from people with incompatible trucks. I believe the confusion about the alernative inputs may result from the fact they also have another unit that adds AV inputs to our trucks. In any case I will help you if you can PM me with your name and order number. I will also find out from Naviks what there plan is for future orders in regard to these RCA inputs they added for our group buy members.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
By rca cables, are you referring to the rca breakout pass throughs in the extension harness? If so, their current product image clearly shows them, and I can’t imagine them building a second version of that harness without them. Unless you are referring to some other RCA cables?
ycGEqo5.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
By rca cables, are you referring to the rca breakout pass throughs in the extension harness? If so, their current product image clearly shows them, and I can’t imagine them building a second version of that harness without them. Unless you are referring to some other RCA cables?

Maybe they changed it up so you can't use BOTH, but my harness doesn't look like that, it has two red yellow RCA female end only.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Maybe they changed it up so you can't use BOTH, but my harness doesn't look like that, it has two red RCA female end only.
Without seeing a pic, if they only have two female rca’s, then that means anyone who is actually using the factory aux camera kits will be screwed, since the aux camera wires in 21/22 and 24/25 won’t be “passing through” from the radio to the truck connector.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Without seeing a pic, if they only have two female rca’s, then that means anyone who is actually using the factory aux camera kits will be screwed, since the aux camera wires in 21/22 and 24/25 won’t be “passing through” from the radio to the truck connector.

I think @RBarrett said they were in parallel in the tech posts, which is why you couldn't use both the factory AUX and the same RCA.

I haven't installed mine yet, I'll go look at those pins.

Users who are viewing this thread