Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Headlights on a Tradesman??

Catmechanic

Reaction score
Car-part.com 68360185AC and 68360184AC for chrome housings. Price should have been $1199 but they made a mistake calculating tax/shipping and went ahead and honored it.

Pricey but still a helluva lot cheaper than most used reflector sets on FB or aftermarket lights I've seen.

Last edited:

Catmechanic

Reaction score
Headlights arrived last Friday but we were out of town at a showcase tournament. I'll install when the adapter harnesses arrive and the daughter's soccer schedule allows me a free day on the weekend.20210302_141035.jpg

Catmechanic

Reaction score
The adapter harness arrived from Jimmy07 today. Very cleanly assembled, well packaged, and as anticipated from his helpfulness here on the forum, he sent very detailed instructions. There is a slim chance that I'll be able to work on installing the new lights tomorrow, but it may have to wait until next weekend.
20210312_142121.jpg

Last edited:

Catmechanic

Reaction score
I was too excited to wait until next weekend so I was able to get my swap done this morning. It took far less time than I anticipated, only about 3 -3.5 hours and I was going fairly slow since this was partly uncharted territory.

I'll spare many of the details since there are numerous write-ups on changing headlights, and focus on the things specific to the adaptive motion LEDs.

Obligatory pic with the front end apart20210313_101941.jpg
It seems there may be some slight variation in trucks regarding how the headlight harness is routed. Some go over near the top of the radiator; mine is routed through the frame pieces near the intercooler and AC condenser. Since I was unable to follow the routing of the factory harness I routed mine below the intake ram and above the fan shroud. 20210313_111101.jpg

After getting the headlights installed I worked on routing the additional wire to the fuse/relay center. It was pretty simple. Using a panel clip tool to pull the harness on the engine side of the relay center gave me extra flexibility to reach the plug to insert the extra wire.20210313_103341.jpg20210313_103843.jpg20210313_103849.jpg20210313_104025.jpg

Once the additional wire was installed in the grey plug and the relay center was back in place, I routed the two wires into the cab. I found going along the inside of the fender just over the horn to be the cleanest location. I considered passing the wires into the cab through the rubber boot with the main harness but it was too tight for me to reach my hand, so I drilled through the clutch block off plate. I ended up removing the wires from the buss connector so I could drill a smaller hole, then just reassembled the plug after passing the wires through.20210313_105635.jpg20210313_105022.jpg20210313_105046.jpg

I then made the appropriate changes in the BCM using AlfaOBD and tested the lights before reassembling the front end of the truck. Everything worked as it should except the motion function when the steering wheel was turned. A quick communication to Jimmy07 determined that my understanding of their operation was incorrect, and that unlike my wife's BMW, the Ram headlights only move when the vehicle speed is above 5mph.

I was able to back the truck out and using hi-beams shining into my dark garage while pulling down the driveway, was able to verify adaptive motion function. Here are the final pics.20210313_134056.jpg

Last edited:

Catmechanic

Reaction score
20210313_120636.jpg20210313_120607.jpg
Unfortunately I didn't take any before pics, but there is no question these are FAR brighter than my halogens based simply on the highly sophisticated shining them against the wall in a dark garage measurement. I'll try to get some additional night time pics once it gets dark.

Many thanks to @Jimmy07 for the harness and great customer service. I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Last edited:

Catmechanic

Reaction score
A few night time pics. I took a video showing the motion but can't seem to upload it.
Low beams20210313_193244.jpg

High beams
20210313_193247.jpg

These two are just the signature lights, no low or hi beams.

20210313_193551.jpg20210313_193619.jpg

Last edited:

Catmechanic

Reaction score
Awesome video Catmechanic! Thanks for taking the time to document exactly what it looks like while turning the wheel.
Don't know that awesome accurately describes my cinematography skills, but thank you nonetheless. The lights are definitely a "night and day" difference though, you won't be disappointed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I really didn't feel any different at all - I just read the numbers off the debit card like always. It's easy guys...just do it!

View attachment 13495
I wish it was that cheap here, atleast with baby sniffing biden in your dollar is going down its now 1.25 to our dollar vs 1.35 so perhaps in a few months if your dollar tanks more i can afford them! Lol

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
I really didn't feel any different at all - I just read the numbers off the debit card like always. It's easy guys...just do it!

View attachment 13495

I am officially jealous ... So I ordered mine and got near cost @ $830 each for the led non-adaptive (the adaptive were $1,300 each ... And then add 13% taxes onto it and mine came out to just under 2K CAD (and that was cheaper than ordering from the US because the exchange, duties and shipping would have pushed them to $2,600 ... Sigh, Canada Sucks for truck parts

Stupid question, did you do the install yet? I have mine done and used the AlfaOBD to get them programmed ... I am just curious if your low beams drop out with your high beams? the Halogen ones that I had used to drop out on high but these LED ones dont (I am actually kinda happy / laughing about that).

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
I wish it was that cheap here, atleast with baby sniffing biden in your dollar is going down its now 1.25 to our dollar vs 1.35 so perhaps in a few months if your dollar tanks more i can afford them! Lol
Ah! Fellow Canadian I see! It drives me insane too the fact that these trucks get built up here, shipped down south and are actually cheaper to buy than what we can find in Canada. Like how does that make ANY sense at all? If I could pay US prices in CAD for a Ram, I would probably have a collection of them sitting on my driveway. A different colour / trim for each day

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Stupid question, did you do the install yet? I have mine done and used the AlfaOBD to get them programmed ... I am just curious if your low beams drop out with your high beams? the Halogen ones that I had used to drop out on high but these LED ones dont (I am actually kinda happy / laughing about that).
That is not normal behavior for the halogen headlamps to shut off the low beam when the high beams are on. The setting that keeps the lows on with the highs is called CBC Features: Quad Headlamp Enable, and it should be set to yes on all 2019+ Rams. The LED headlights use the exact same high and low beam circuits as the halogen headlights, so if they both stay on with the LEDs, they would have done the same with the halogens, unless you had to change the quad headlamp setting from no to yes when you changed all the settings for the new LED headlights.

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
That is not normal behavior for the halogen headlamps to shut off the low beam when the high beams are on. The setting that keeps the lows on with the highs is called CBC Features: Quad Headlamp Enable, and it should be set to yes on all 2019+ Rams. The LED headlights use the exact same high and low beam circuits as the halogen headlights, so if they both stay on with the LEDs, they would have done the same with the halogens, unless you had to change the quad headlamp setting from no to yes when you changed all the settings for the new LED headlights.
I will admit that I have lost track of all the settings I have messed with using the AlfaOBD ... I really need to try and keep a list of things somewhere because the dealer has re-flashed my truck a few times with warranty work and I can never remember exactly what I had done and how I had it set up ... And I know that I can do a backup, but taking the time to see what has changed is a headache ... Heck, I had to add the post here for using the Windows version of the software because I had a good run of no changes to my settings and then bam, warranty the radio and then all of a sudden my lights are disco strobes again

Bp4125

Reaction score
Another success! Thank you Jimmy07!
The oem projector headlights and oem led fogs.
2 night shots are low beam then high with NO fogs on either shot.

Attachments

• 20210404_191356.jpg
    20210404_191356.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210320_012238.jpg
    20210320_012238.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210320_012247.jpg
    20210320_012247.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 51

Bp4125

Reaction score
I am preparing to install mine as soon as the LED fogs arrive. I am curious as to where you ran the wire looms that crossed between the headlights?
For my headlights I ran mine along the same route that the member Catmechanic did in the pics he posted between the intake and fan shroud.

Catmechanic

Reaction score
Another success! Thank you Jimmy07!
The oem projector headlights and oem led fogs.
2 night shots are low beam then high with NO fogs on either shot.
Bp, would you mind posting the part numbers for the LED fogs and bumper inserts without park sensors? I'm finding a bit of conflicting information and no good parts pics to verify.

@Jimmy07 the fogs are a direct replacement connection for my factory halogen fogs, correct, aside from a couple of config changes in the BCM?

Users who are viewing this thread