Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Headlights on a Tradesman??

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Is it just as easy to install the top-level projector LEDs as it is the mid-level reflector LEDs?

Does anyone have a real world comparison between the two different OEM offerings?
Swapping in the LED projector headlights with AFL requires an adapter harness to be made, and a few circuits run into the cab to the canbus c junction block. Not a huge deal, but it can be done.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Swapping in the LED projector headlights with AFL requires an adapter harness to be made, and a few circuits run into the cab to the canbus c junction block. Not a huge deal, but it can be done.
Would they retain the turning movement? Assuming thats why the circuit to the canbus junction is needed?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Wow, you have all the answers Jimmy07 - I have been reading about LED lights here and you have provided many details. Thank you.

It seems for my application it would be much easier for me to simply upgrade to the mid-level reflector LEDs which seem to be plug and play.
They are not plug and play they still need the bcm programing

Reaction score
Anyone upgraded from the Laramie reflector LEDs to the Limited projectors? I'd like a little more throw and hotspot than I the reflector housings provide

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anyone upgraded from the Laramie reflector LEDs to the Limited projectors? I'd like a little more throw and hotspot than I the reflector housings provide
Cheaper and better to buy the morimoto LED projectors at that point

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Not that I’m aware of. It can be done. If you want to be the first, I can build you the adapter harness needed, and pull the list of BCM settings changes.

Reaction score
Cheaper and better to buy the morimoto LED projectors at that point

After the debacle with Tacoma and 4Runner LEDs from morimoto, I'm fairly disinclined to buy any of their products. Plus it looks like for the hardware itself the morimotos are actually more expensive.

Reaction score
Not that I’m aware of. It can be done. If you want to be the first, I can build you the adapter harness needed, and pull the list of BCM settings changes.

How much is involved getting the adaptive part to work? I need to see these headlights in person to see the difference, but coming from 50w HID projectors on my last truck, these reflector LEDs are really blowing any wind up my skirt.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
After the debacle with Tacoma and 4Runner LEDs from morimoto, I'm fairly disinclined to buy any of their products. Plus it looks like for the hardware itself the morimotos are actually more expensive.
The replacement housing are 1600$ us without need for harness or electrical change i have never had any issue with morimoto after using them for many years for tons of there products

Jimmy07

Reaction score
The debacle was the same for the 4th gen Rams. I don’t see hardly anyone posting about using them on the 4.5 gens, probably because of the known issues for the 4th gens.
How much is involved getting the adaptive part to work? I need to see these headlights in person to see the difference, but coming from 50w HID projectors on my last truck, these reflector LEDs are really blowing any wind up my skirt.
That part is just a matter of a few settings in the BCM. You need an adapter harness regardless, because of the 12 pin to 16 pin connector change between the two headlights.

Reaction score
The debacle was the same for the 4th gen Rams. I don’t see hardly anyone posting about using them on the 4.5 gens, probably because of the known issues for the 4th gens.

That part is just a matter of a few settings in the BCM. You need an adapter harness regardless, because of the 12 pin to 16 pin connector change between the two headlights.

I gotcha. How involved is the physical wiring changes? I'm looking at doing a lot of stuff over a weekend cluding the bed lights, and still deciding if I wanna add the factory AUX switches, or just go with another SwitchPro or something similar

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I gotcha. How involved is the physical wiring changes? I'm looking at doing a lot of stuff over a weekend cluding the bed lights, and still deciding if I wanna add the factory AUX switches, or just go with another SwitchPro or something similar
Each headlight would have a short adapter harness that switches your truck’s 12-way headlight connector to the new headlight’s 16-way connector. Those two adapters would be linked together with two wires. Two wires go from the driver side headlight adapter to the canbus c junction block behind the headlight switch. One wire goes from the driver side adapter to a connector on the fuse box. A fuse gets added to the appropriate spot in the fuse box.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks again Jimmy07 for providing such detailed answers - I am actually very interested in performing this modification to my 2021 Tradesman - I do have a few questions:
  • will all the connectors, wiring, shielding, etc. be OEM quality that is specifically designed for the harsh underhood environment?
  • are you 100% confident that once the OEM headlights and wiring has been installed, my computer will be able to be flashed to illuminate and control these specific headlights?
  • can this wiring harness also include the necessary connectors, wiring, etc. to permit me to install Baja/RIGID LED fog lights?
For reference, my RAM has halogen headlights and no fog lights. The full specification for my 2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman are here.

In summary - I am interested in upgrading to the OEM LED projector headlights and also Baja/Rigid LED fog lights. My truck will be delivered in approximately 30 days and I am very serious about doing this if you are confident it will work. Thank you Jimmy07.
- The connectors and terminals used are the same part numbers that OEM uses. The wiring is the appropriate gauge GXL wire, loomed and taped with Tesa 51036.
- I’m 100% confident that they’ll work just like factory, but you’ll have to use AlfaOBD to do it. The dealer won’t be able to flash that sales code in for the adaptive feature, because it won’t be available for your VIN.
- Yes, the fog light wiring can be integrated in with the headlight harness.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Outstanding - the only remaining question I have is what would the approximate cost be for the complete harness?

Glad to hear you are using top quality components and I have already been planning to purchase AlfaOBD.
PM sent.

EL_Barcaza

Reaction score
My '21 Laramie is on order and I will be ordering the night edition projector headlights to go with the rest of the night edition badges and grill I'm putting on after delivery.

@Jimmy07 Big props to you for answering the question with so much detail. I'll be in touch.

Catmechanic

Reaction score
Following place holder. Thanks to this thread I have ordered the adaptive projector headlights as replacements for my bighorn halogens, as well as the 12 to 16 pin harness from Jimmy. Headlights should be here by Friday, harness a little longer. I will update as soon as everything arrives and I'm able to install.

EL_Barcaza

Reaction score
Following place holder. Thanks to this thread I have ordered the adaptive projector headlights as replacements for my bighorn halogens, as well as the 12 to 16 pin harness from Jimmy. Headlights should be here by Friday, harness a little longer. I will update as soon as everything arrives and I'm able to install.
How much were the lights?

Users who are viewing this thread