Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laramie Headlights on a Tradesman??

dablack21

Reaction score
Traded in my Laramie a few months ago on a tradesman. Overall, I'm happy with the switch, but one thing I miss is how bright the headlights were on my Laramie. I hadn't given it much thought until I recently saw a 19+ tradesman at my hotel with Laramie lights. Saw him drive out later and the DRLs worked too. Anyone know what would be involved in making the upgrade, besides the obvious headlight purchase?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Traded in my Laramie a few months ago on a tradesman. Overall, I'm happy with the switch, but one thing I miss is how bright the headlights were on my Laramie. I hadn't given it much thought until I recently saw a 19+ tradesman at my hotel with Laramie lights. Saw him drive out later and the DRLs worked too. Anyone know what would be involved in making the upgrade, besides the obvious headlight purchase?
Assuming you’re referring to the mid level reflector LED headlights with the accent strip on top and bottom, then they will swap and plug right in. You’ll need to make some BCM settings changes with AlfaOBD in order to make them work, though.

dablack21

Reaction score
Luckily I already have the alfaobd. And, yes, those are the headlights I am referring to. I also know that they are expensive lol

pionex_80

Reaction score
Luckily I already have the alfaobd. And, yes, those are the headlights I am referring to. I also know that they are expensive lol
Did you convert over to LED headlights yet? I would like to know what the experience was? What did you actually have to buy? Such as connectors, or wiring, or bracket pieces?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Did you convert over to LED headlights yet? I would like to know what the experience was? What did you actually have to buy? Such as connectors, or wiring, or bracket pieces?
As far as the swap itself, you just literally remove and replace the halogen headlights with the led headlights. There are no other parts or connectors needed. Then, you just configure the BCM as if the truck was equipped with the LED headlights.

pionex_80

Reaction score
The connectors for power will just connect right up then? I am not for sure going to do this, but I would like to just make sure I know what I am doing before I would buy any parts.

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
Assuming you’re referring to the mid level reflector LED headlights with the accent strip on top and bottom, then they will swap and plug right in. You’ll need to make some BCM settings changes with AlfaOBD in order to make them work, though.
Just curious what you mean by mid level reflector led ? I thought leds were leds but with the two options: adaptive or non ?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Just curious what you mean by mid level reflector led ? I thought leds were leds but with the two options: adaptive or non ?
Because there are two styles of LED headlights for the 2019+ HD Rams. I guess I used the term “mid level” because there are three total sets of headlights. I just want to be absolutely certain which ones someone is referring to, because the wiring/connectors are completely different between the two.

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
Because there are two styles of LED headlights for the 2019+ HD Rams. I guess I used the term “mid level” because there are three total sets of headlights. I just want to be absolutely certain which ones someone is referring to, because the wiring/connectors are completely different between the two.
So now I’m even more curious ... what are the two styles of LEDs? ... I’m asking cause I’ve been looking at headlight options for my 19 Big Horn with halogens ... the prices seem to have come way down now.

$410 per side ... my only confusion is if they need different wiring and there is mention on the site of control modules. So not sure if I can just order those and plug them in or not. I do have the OBD and harness

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
Just thought I’d do one more quick edit ... the confusion comes from this post mentioning needing a harness

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So now I’m even more curious ... what are the two styles of LEDs? ... I’m asking cause I’ve been looking at headlight options for my 19 Big Horn with halogens ... the prices seem to have come way down now.

$410 per side ... my only confusion is if they need different wiring and there is mention on the site of control modules. So not sure if I can just order those and plug them in or not. I do have the OBD and harness
The two styles of LED headlights are the reflector headlights that have the signature light strip on the top and bottom of the headlights. The other is the adaptive LED projector headlights.
If you have AlfaOBD, then you don’t need any adapters, like retroshop uses, because the BCM can be configured correctly for them. The retroshop adapters have to fool the BCM with resistors, and a fuse tap to get the signature lighting to work.

Wpg_Ram

Reaction score
The two styles of LED headlights are the reflector headlights that have the signature light strip on the top and bottom of the headlights. The other is the adaptive LED projector headlights.
If you have AlfaOBD, then you don’t need any adapters, like retroshop uses, because the BCM can be configured correctly for them. The retroshop adapters have to fool the BCM with resistors, and a fuse tap to get the signature lighting to work.
Thank you so much for the information !!

sako458lott

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing the LED headlight swap and have a question for anyone who had ordered the headlight. Looking at the parts diagram, if I order the part# 68360181AC am I only getting the housing and still need the bulbs or will I get the housing with bulbs installed?

el_barto

Reaction score
The LEDs do not use bulbs. The LEDs are installed on a non serviceable board mounted on the headlamp housing.

In short, you do not need bulbs because they do not use them (except maybe for the turn signals, but Those are generic and I’m guessing can be swapped over if they aren’t included)

Last edited:

pionex_80

Reaction score
FYI, I ordered the chrome housing LED headlights: Right- 68360180AC Left- 69360181AC on December 9th and so far they are both on a long national backorder with no ESD available.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I will be doing the night edition headlight swap soon on my '19 2500, and will have my chrome LED reflector headlights for sale after the switch.

pionex_80

Reaction score
How long before you will make your switch? What would you be asking? No chips, cracks, gouges or scratches or other damage to the LED reflector lights? I am looking for the chrome ones as well, so this might work. I am at 13679 as a ZIP code, and I am interested if it would be soon enough. Thanks for letting me know.

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
My new lights are supposed to arrive today coincidently. Not sure when I'll be able to do the swap, but probably in the next couple weeks.

My existing lights have 9k miles on them. I don't see any flaws at all, but I'll check them out closely when they are removed and take pics.

Catmechanic

Reaction score
My new lights are supposed to arrive today coincidently. Not sure when I'll be able to do the swap, but probably in the next couple weeks.

My existing lights have 9k miles on them. I don't see any flaws at all, but I'll check them out closely when they are removed and take pics.
Price on the chrome LED take-outs?

MooneyFWD

Reaction score
I don't want to price them out until I get them off the truck and make sure they are perfect. Of course my new lights weren't included in the delivery of parts I just received. Backordered like everyone else apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread