Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you prevent thieves from stealing your new truck?

Scherm

Reaction score
Interested in learning about faraday pouches, remote kill switches, etc. What size faraday push fits a 2023 RAM remote?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I’ve got a setup that doesn’t use any aftermarket switches (so nothing that “doesn’t belong” to find), won’t allow the truck to be started no matter how many new fobs are programmed or if the fob signal is relayed (negates the need for a faraday pouch), and the truck can still be remote started (but can’t be driven off).

Scherm

Reaction score
I’ve got a setup that doesn’t use any aftermarket switches (so nothing that “doesn’t belong” to find), won’t allow the truck to be started no matter how many new fobs are programmed or if the fob signal is relayed (negates the need for a faraday pouch), and the truck can still be remote started (but can’t be driven off).
What's your setup? My son thinks that uconnect enables vehicle tracking. I'm not sure of that.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
What's your setup? My son thinks that uconnect enables vehicle tracking. I'm not sure of that.
I don’t describe it on open forum, but you can pm me for details.
One of the first things they do after the take the truck is disconnect the radio and park it somewhere to cool down to see if someone comes looking for it in case there’s other gps or air tags in the vehicle.

Husker1972

Reaction score
Interesting topic. With the cost of new HD Rams it would seem prudent to add some additional security features. I've been looking at various options for a while (my truck is on order). The obvious one that always comes up is: lock your truck and don't leave anything valuable in sight. I've got to believe that the people on this forum already have that one figured out. There are a bunch of YouTube videos that show how easy it is for thiefs to use range extenders to gain access to (and start) a truck. For those unfamiliar with this, it's essentially amplifying the signal between the truck and your key fob. With the range of the key fob extended, the truck "sees" the key fob that is hanging in your house so the thief simply opens the door, starts the truck, and drives it away. Once the engine is started the key fob is no longer needed. Although you get a message on your console that the "key fob has left the vehicle," once the engine is started it no longer needs the key fob to keep going. The truck can be driven to a shop where a computer can be used to rekey the system. The way to prevent this is to use a faraday pouch (inexpensive and readily available on Amazon). But organized crime groups have other, more sophisticated ways of stealing trucks, but at least the faraday pouch makes it more difficult for them and thwarts the less sophisticated outlaws. Ultimately, I think you're trying to make your truck harder to steal so they will go on to an easier target. I've been researching the Ravelco anti-theft system. There is one thread on this forum with a few comments about it. It looks to be very secure but is quite pricy. But, heck, if you've spent upwards to $100k for a truck it might be worth the extra money for peace of mind. There are YouTube videos about installing kill switches - again something very effective but does require some installation and modification work. Another (cheap) alternative is to remove one of the relays under the hood (such as the fuel control relay). The truck won't start without it and it's unlikely that a thief would be carrying a spare. Problem with doing that is that you'd have to get under the hood and pull the relay every time you left the truck. I'm very interested in any comments that people may have about this topic. With my new Ram expected to arrive someday, I'd like to have a plan in place by the time it finally gets here.

Big Tom

Reaction score
I thought about getting "The Club" as any deterrent is better than none but that got shouted down....lol My fear is coming out of a Motel to an empty parking space while on the road.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I don’t describe it on open forum, but you can pm me for details.
One of the first things they do after the take the truck is disconnect the radio and park it somewhere to cool down to see if someone comes looking for it in case there’s other gps or air tags in the vehicle.
I can attest to @Jimmy07 's system. Works great and an easy install. I use both his system and the Club.

Scherm

Reaction score
I can attest to @Jimmy07 's system. Works great and an easy install. I use both his system and the Club.
I have read many @Jimmy07 posts and he's very knowledgable. My fear is that I don't have even the basic mechanical/electrical skills to implement a solution

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have read many @Jimmy07 posts and he's very knowledgable. My fear is that I don't have even the basic mechanical/electrical skills to implement a solution
Jimmy07's system is a pretty easy install. PM him and he can answer any questions you have.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Just use the club. I do, it’s a deterrent. If they want it that bad nothing will stop them.
You are right. But the harder I can make it for the jerks the better. We pretty travel full time in our fifth wheel and losing the truck would be a significant issue. Even if insurance paid for the truck, finding another truck that will pull what I have on a lot somewhere will be close to impossible. I would need to order another truck and wait who knows how long for the delivery.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I thought about getting "The Club" as any deterrent is better than none but that got shouted down....lol My fear is coming out of a Motel to an empty parking space while on the road.
I also still use the club when I'm on the road. A smart thief can freeze it and break it but the motel/hotel car thieves are usually ill-equipped junkies looking for an easy steal and the club will usually deter them.

mountainears

Reaction score
Just go on YouTube and search for the lockpicking lawyer along with the lock you’re using. Most of these things can be defeated with very simple tools in a matter of seconds, takes longer to put them on the. To pick them usually.

For the first time thief, maybe an issue. But folks that are taking cars have usually studied a little bit and it is not hard to find ways around those things.

Jimmy’s on the other hand, likely not a chance. You’ll probably have a broken window or maybe some trashing of your truck, but it will still be there.

I would not rely on just a steering wheel lock. If in conjunction with something else it may help, but not that alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Just go on YouTube and search for the lockpicking lawyer along with the lock you’re using. Most of these things can be defeated with very simple tools in a matter of seconds, takes longer to put them on the. To pick them usually.

For the first time thief, maybe an issue. But folks that are taking cars have usually studied a little bit and it is not hard to find ways around those things.

Jimmy’s on the other hand, likely not a chance. You’ll probably have a broken window or maybe some trashing of your truck, but it will still be there.

I would not rely on just a steering wheel lock. If in conjunction with something else it may help, but not that alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, if they want your truck, the pros will get it. I'm 10 miles from the border. Here they tour the neighborhoods with a flatbed trailer. If they find what they want and it's accessible they merely winch it on the trailer and whisk it away to Mexico. Their current target of choice is Jeeps as that is what the Cartels want. Prior it was Ford and Ram HD pickups. At least three jeeps have been stolen this way in my four-block neighborhood. One gal caught them in front of her house at 3 am, their noisy Ram diesel woke her up. They were in the middle of the street eyeballing her Jeep in the driveway. She went out with her Smith & Wesson and they hauled ass. She's another story. When stealing vehicles is their living, they have the tools and the knowledge to succeed.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Is theft with these trucks really a common or easy thing compared to other vehicles?

Users who are viewing this thread