Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you prevent thieves from stealing your new truck?

ShowKiller1

Reaction score
I’ve got a setup that doesn’t use any aftermarket switches (so nothing that “doesn’t belong” to find), won’t allow the truck to be started no matter how many new fobs are programmed or if the fob signal is relayed (negates the need for a faraday pouch), and the truck can still be remote started (but can’t be driven off).
Sounds like something i would be interested in since my previous truck was stolen in March 2022 and i would really like for that to not happen to my new truck. If you can shoot me a PM with this method that would be great.

Thanks

Cseybert

Reaction score
It’s insured. I know every item that’s in the truck and I don’t leave anything irreplaceable in it.

If someone steals it then they can keep it. USAA will buy me a new one.
Minus the depreciation, of course.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Minus the depreciation, of course.
Depends on your insurance i have replacement cost for the first 5 years so even though trucks have went up in price i still get enough ti buy a brand new truck. After 5 years i get used value and considering used is still almost the cost of new its not bad either lol

Wheelz

Reaction score
I can't remember where I read the report but the report stated that RAM trucks moving up the list of being the most stolen. I started to look for deterrents and came across the company Revelco. The company has been around for awhile. Good thing i guess. The device is a 16 pin removable plug that gets installed. And when removed, its 'near' impossible to jack the truck.

Husker1972

Reaction score
I can't remember where I read the report but the report stated that RAM trucks moving up the list of being the most stolen. I started to look for deterrents and came across the company Revelco. The company has been around for awhile. Good thing i guess. The device is a 16 pin removable plug that gets installed. And when removed, its 'near' impossible to jack the truck.
I’ve been reading up on Ravelco. It’s essentially a professionally installed kill switch. Those that have gotten it seem pleased with the quality of the installation and the peace of mind it brings. As several people have mentioned, good insurance will help replace a stolen truck but one of my primary reasons for having a truck is to pull our travel trailer. Should it get stolen it could disrupt travel plans that we’ve made up to a year in advance, hence the Ravelco seems particularly attractive. I’ll continue to research it and will post more info as I find it.

ShowKiller1

Reaction score
I think the problem most people have with the Ravelco is you cant remote start the truck with it installed.

Husker1972

Reaction score
Thanks. I've read that as well. Not a big deal for me, but I know its a feature that lots of people use.

dogbreath650

Reaction score
I installed Revelco in my Jeep around 14 years ago. Did the install myself and it took awhile. As it involves a lot of under dash and engine compartment work I'd likely pay for an install if I did it again. Good reliable system over the years although now that my Jeep is pretty much trail use only, I don't feel the need for it much anymore.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I have read many @Jimmy07 posts and he's very knowledgable. My fear is that I don't have even the basic mechanical/electrical skills to implement a solution
I have less skills than anyone in this forum. Jimmy’s solution is excellent and relatively easy to install. I screwed something up during the install and reached out to him (in a panic) and he helped me correct my mistake. It’s a quality solution and easy enough to install. Good luck!

SalMeatballs

Reaction score
I don’t describe it on open forum, but you can pm me for details.
One of the first things they do after the take the truck is disconnect the radio and park it somewhere to cool down to see if someone comes looking for it in case there’s other gps or air tags in the vehicle.
may I also pm you for the details?

plinke

Reaction score
Just had my 2021 2500 Limited Longhorn stolen in Houston. They broke the widow, popped the hood and replaced the computer with one programmed to a key they already had (that’s the theory of the police officer). Apparently the whole thing takes 10 mins. I would also be interested in solutions to prevent this (some kind of hidden kill switch?). While the insurance paid more than expected, it’s still a hassle finding a new one you like and replacing all the accessories.

plinke

Reaction score
I don’t describe it on open forum, but you can pm me for details.
One of the first things they do after the take the truck is disconnect the radio and park it somewhere to cool down to see if someone comes looking for it in case there’s other gps or air tags in the vehicle.
Would you mind sending me you anti-theft solution. Just had my 2021 Longhorn Limited stolen and would like to avoid this happening again. Thanks in advance.

Scherm

Reaction score
Just had my 2021 2500 Limited Longhorn stolen in Houston. They broke the widow, popped the hood and replaced the computer with one programmed to a key they already had (that’s the theory of the police officer). Apparently the whole thing takes 10 mins. I would also be interested in solutions to prevent this (some kind of hidden kill switch?). While the insurance paid more than expected, it’s still a hassle finding a new one you like and replacing all the accessories.
I live in Houston too. Thieves are getting more and more creative.

Big M

Reaction score
When my 3500 gets built, I doubt I will have too many worries about theft, as it will be one of a very few duallys ordered in light green. Thieves avoid anything that sticks out and is more noticeable. Plus, I live out in farm country, and there is a low crime rate.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. Reach out to Jimmy07 - great solution, fair price, if you know more about electronics than I do (impossible not to!) you should be fine installing it yourself. Others have discussed ways to disable fuel pumps - maybe both together are belts/suspenders? Good luck!

Ronstar

Reaction score
Note to self, dont travel to Houston…..

Serious topic to consider. If fuel relay fuse or any other fuse were removed would that not pop up a code? If serious about taking the truck it seems it would be only a minute or two to read the code snd replace the fuse.

Like mentioned earlier its pretty safe out here in Idaho so not a big concern.

Users who are viewing this thread