Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you prevent thieves from stealing your new truck?

GBB

Reaction score
I live in my truck and travel full-time - this is my castle. I'm never more than walking distance away and a pretty good shot out to 1,000 yards. My message to thieves is, "don't bother to run, you'll just die tired."

View attachment 55325
Better read your gun laws..you’ll be the one going to prison…just saying

ShowKiller1

Reaction score
I live in San Antonio and you hear a couple times a week of Rams with the 6.7 being stolen. My 2014 was stolen from my front yard in March 2022. Currently with my new 2022 i remove the starter relay whenever it is parked for long periods of time out of my sight. No codes thrown and the truck wont start. Even if it did throw a code, how many criminals carry around a starter relay? Highly doubt criminals are going to stick around long enough to try and diagnose it.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I saw where thieves rip headlights out to access the buss to steel autos now.

I wonder if a grille guard would make it hard to do?

oppizzippo

Reaction score
I’ve got a setup that doesn’t use any aftermarket switches (so nothing that “doesn’t belong” to find), won’t allow the truck to be started no matter how many new fobs are programmed or if the fob signal is relayed (negates the need for a faraday pouch), and the truck can still be remote started (but can’t be driven off).
I'm interested in this Jimmy when you get a chance to whip up some more, put me down for one.

phatboy64

Reaction score
Better read your gun laws..you’ll be the one going to prison…just saying
I am just getting around to reading this whole post and you are right. Those who are saying they would shoot someone stealing their truck better rethink that. Most states don’t allow deadly force to protect property even if they did you will spend way more on lawyers defending your self against civil suits. Buying a new truck will be the last of your worries.

Last edited:

Thorvald

Reaction score
Here in Canada it’s an epidemic stealing 1500’s and I’m sure they steal HD as well. After watching what happened to a Toyota Highlander friend I do the following:

1. Cover VIN with black Bristol board. This way they cannot easily take a picture of the VIN and cut a key.
2. HD Club on Steering Wheel. I.e. Go down the street for an easier target.
3. Apple AirTag with speaker removed hidden deep in the vehicle.
4. All keys go into faraday box when arriving home.
5. Motion lights on house.
6. Extreme camera system with analytics to detect people and vehicles (slight advantage here, it’s what I do for a living)

Then Bristol board and club is likely going to be the best to make them move to someone else’s truck as it did for my Toyota friend.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Here in Canada it’s an epidemic stealing 1500’s and I’m sure they steal HD as well. After watching what happened to a Toyota Highlander friend I do the following:

1. Cover VIN with black Bristol board. This way they cannot easily take a picture of the VIN and cut a key.
6. Extreme camera system with analytics to detect people and vehicles (slight advantage here, it’s what I do for a living)

Then Bristol board and club is likely going to be the best to make them move to someone else’s truck as it did for my Toyota friend.
Idk where in canada you are but there is not really any vehicle thefts by me. But here you are likely to be met by a rifle if you are on the wrong property

Reactions: CFE

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have the @Jimmy07 solution and I will say it works great. You can push that button until the cows come home. It ain't starting. While in Canada I really don't use it a lot. However when we winter down south, I use it all the time along with a steering wheel club, brake pedal lock and an Apple Air Tag buried deep in the dash. I also put my fob in a faraday pouch when out and about. The spare fob is always in a faraday pouch. Not sure if dually trucks are on the popular to steal list but the cartels down south apparently like trucks. All these things can probably be defeated but it will take time; something thieves don't usually have. Am I paranoid? Probably. But if I lose my truck it will take several months to replace it and at my age, I ain't about to spend my winters freezing.

jsalbre

Reaction score

That mostly sounds good except for two items. The Club isn't a deterrent at all, and can be removed in seconds.

Also, cutting a key won't do them any good, or have any purpose, since the key isn't used to start the vehicle, the RF chip in the fob is, which has to be programmed into the vehicle.

Thorvald

Reaction score
Actually the club worked quite well in my neighbours Toyota incident. It’s not to stop the thieves it’s another layer to deter the average lazy idiot. The key is used to gain access to the vehicle to save the headache of using the RF repeat attack since people have started using faraday cages and boxes.

Here is the story (nice to have it all on video too but he won’t post it since they have his VIN):

Last winter neighbor noticed multiples alerts on the driveway when he got up, checked his cameras and found two incidents. The first was a random car driving around the neighborhood and it stopped in front of his house in the road, hooded fellow got out and walked up to his Toyota Highlander and cleared the snow off the lower drivers side of the windshield and then proceeded to take a few pictures with this cell phone. Got back in car and left.

About 45 minutes later another car arrived with two people who got out and went right up to the suv and had something large in their hands (Police indicated it was the ODB interface they use). They went up to the drivers door and wiped the snow off of the window, they then looked in and changed their mind and left. Afterwards speaking with the Police they reasoned it was the Club he had installed on his wheel. It was too much of a hassle to mess with this suv tonight and they figured they would just move on to the next more easily stolen vehicle (thankfully crooks are lazy).

However the Police indicated if it had been a ”slow” night for the thieves they likely would come back with a battery powered cut off disk and risk taking the club out and hopefully not wake any neighbors. Some of the stupid cars bring the CAN bus right out to the headlights so its stupid easily to steal those.

—-

What was interesting was the first “scout” is used to find the cars, gather the VINs and send to another group to cut keys and setup the ODB box. Apparently with Toyotas they can literally be in and out of the driveway in seconds.

I’m in Southern Ontario and you can Google all the thefts, it’s pretty constant. They simply drive them down to Toronto or to Montréal and load them right into a cargo container. Vehicles can be found on African websites for sale with with the Ontario plates still attached. It’s crazy.

—-

No point in using a firearm in Canada these days, we don’t have Castle Law and with our idiot Federal Government and corrupt CFO’s you’ll possibly save your truck but you will have a firearms ownership ban for life and likely good jail time or at least a hell of a lot of lawyer costs to fight it. I’m not giving my hard earned collection up for a pickup that has full insurance. Though if the idiots stand in one place long enough they are likely to get a few lumps from some other objects which cause blunt force trauma but too risky these days with gangs in Ontario, they tend to shoot first and aim later (I.e. miss me and hit my family). Also don’t forget these are very well organized gangs… piss them off and they will be back with a “oh so fun” drive by shooting that the cops will just “ignore”.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Actually the club worked quite well in my neighbours Toyota incident. It’s not to stop the thieves it’s another layer to deter the average lazy idiot. The key is used to gain access to the vehicle to save the headache of using the RF repeat attack since people have started using faraday cages and boxes.

Here is the story (nice to have it all on video too but he won’t post it since they have his VIN):

Last winter neighbor noticed multiples alerts on the driveway when he got up, checked his cameras and found two incidents. The first was a random car driving around the neighborhood and it stopped in front of his house in the road, hooded fellow got out and walked up to his Toyota Highlander and cleared the snow off the lower drivers side of the windshield and then proceeded to take a few pictures with this cell phone. Got back in car and left.

About 45 minutes later another car arrived with two people who got out and went right up to the suv and had something large in their hands (Police indicated it was the ODB interface they use). They went up to the drivers door and wiped the snow off of the window, they then looked in and changed their mind and left. Afterwards speaking with the Police they reasoned it was the Club he had installed on his wheel. It was too much of a hassle to mess with this suv tonight and they figured they would just move on to the next more easily stolen vehicle (thankfully crooks are lazy).

However the Police indicated if it had been a ”slow” night for the thieves they likely would come back with a battery powered cut off disk and risk taking the club out and hopefully not wake any neighbors. Some of the stupid cars bring the CAN bus right out to the headlights so its stupid easily to steal those.

—-

What was interesting was the first “scout” is used to find the cars, gather the VINs and send to another group to cut keys and setup the ODB box. Apparently with Toyotas they can literally be in and out of the driveway in seconds.

I’m in Southern Ontario and you can Google all the thefts, it’s pretty constant. They simply drive them down to Toronto or to Montréal and load them right into a cargo container. Vehicles can be found on African websites for sale with with the Ontario plates still attached. It’s crazy.

—-

No point in using a firearm in Canada these days, we don’t have Castle Law and with our idiot Federal Government and corrupt CFO’s you’ll possibly save your truck but you will have a firearms ownership ban for life and likely good jail time or at least a hell of a lot of lawyer costs to fight it. I’m not giving my hard earned collection up for a pickup that has full insurance. Though if the idiots stand in one place long enough they are likely to get a few lumps from some other objects which cause blunt force trauma but too risky these days with gangs in Ontario, they tend to shoot first and aim later (I.e. miss me and hit my family). Also don’t forget these are very well organized gangs… piss them off and they will be back with a “oh so fun” drive by shooting that the cops will just “ignore”.
I am in canada too and if there is no corpse or witnesses there is no crime ;)

Limey

Reaction score
Jimmy07 - thanks for sending me your solution - sorry not responding sooner as I had a few days in hospital. :(

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
That method doesn’t apply to ram trucks. There’s nothing in the vicinity that they can access to be able to inject messages.
Jimmy07 - I'd be interested in your solution as well if you don't mind PM'ing it over. We have several long trips coming up next year and I would hate to find my truck stolen being 1000 miles from home!

Users who are viewing this thread