Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rearview mirror with truck cap

DudeBro

Reaction score
Here is V4 and hopefully the last revision! I will print the final functional product in PETG or ASB and probably coat w paint/uv inhibitor.

V4: I added a cord channel, adjusted and widened the bottom contour and adjusted the depth of the lens port. As soon as things dethaw this morning, I’ll get it mocked up and see how everything fits. The camera fits in there really nice with very little movement so my plan is to put a small dab of epoxy or silicone and call it a day.

If anyone is interested, I’m taking orders!

View attachment 29821
What made you develop a mount for the top vs the back of the topper near the third brake light? Do you think the latter is feasible?

kpecks

Reaction score
What made you develop a mount for the top vs the back of the topper near the third brake light? Do you think the latter is feasible?

The option was either drill a hole in the angled portion of the topper to make sure the camera was parallel with the ground and embed the camera into the topper itself ( i am not 100% sure it would work as the topper is fairly thick), or fab up something to mount on the top. Anything mounted in front of the 3rd brake light would make contact with the glass when it lifts up. I didnt want to drill the topper and i got my son a new 3d printer for christmas so... what you see is what i ended up with and it works perfectly. The plastic housing i fabbed up is mounted via 3m auto adhesive tape and is water tight, UV resistant and replaceable if anything happens to it. Its also totally removable if i ever sell the topper and the new owner doesnt have a need for a hole drilled out in the back.

DudeBro

Reaction score
The option was either drill a hole in the angled portion of the topper to make sure the camera was parallel with the ground and embed the camera into the topper itself ( i am not 100% sure it would work as the topper is fairly thick), or fab up something to mount on the top. Anything mounted in front of the 3rd brake light would make contact with the glass when it lifts up. I didnt want to drill the topper and i got my son a new 3d printer for christmas so... what you see is what i ended up with and it works perfectly. The plastic housing i fabbed up is mounted via 3m auto adhesive tape and is water tight, UV resistant and replaceable if anything happens to it. Its also totally removable if i ever sell the topper and the new owner doesnt have a need for a hole drilled out in the back.
How did you gain access to the bed from the bumper area?

Does the mirror automatically default to the tow mode camera or do you have to select it each startup?

Do you have a parts list for the connectors and cables? What would charge to print one for a fellow forum member?

kpecks

Reaction score
How did you gain access to the bed from the bumper area?

Does the mirror automatically default to the tow mode camera or do you have to select it each startup?

Do you have a parts list for the connectors and cables? What would charge to print one for a fellow forum member?

Access is through the bed post hole on the rear left side of the bed. Goes straight down in the fender. Very easy to run wires that way.

The mirror stays connected and no need to adjust anything.

Ill send you a pm and we can discuss. Happy to help out, just need some clarity on your topper, etc.

2 x RFC100 Fakra C Male to Fakra Z Female Coax RF Cable
1 x Genuine Mopar Camera 68448640aa

Pizziola29

Reaction score
I am jumping into this mod as soon as the fakra video switch is delivered. I have all other parts and looks like it will work well. I’ll post part numbers/links as soon as I get going on the project and see what direction it heads. I have a leer shell and the angle/slope of the of the top next to 3rd break light matches the angle of the camera bezel I’m using. The only part of this project I’m feeling a little funny about is cutting into a perfectly good fiberglass surface. But I’m doing it anyway!!!!

Plan summary:
-Digital Rearview Cam
Fakra switch located in driver side rear of cab, video A to current cam (CHMSL) and video B to new cam which will mount to lookers right of 3rd break light on cap.

-Cargo Cam
Same switch location as digital rearview, video A to current cargo cam (CHMSL) and video B to new cam inside shell above front window slider.

-Eric
Do you have a few pics of where you found the Fakra switch?

Pizziola29

Reaction score

kpecks

Reaction score
Just a quick report: my 3d printed housing and camera setup in the topper are working perfectly. It has been snowed on, rained on, frozen, been crapped on by birds, been offroad, and been pressure washed and continues to do the job and feed the rear view camera with video.

Pizziola29

Reaction score
Just a quick report: my 3d printed housing and camera setup in the topper are working perfectly. It has been snowed on, rained on, frozen, been crapped on by birds, been offroad, and been pressure washed and continues to do the job and feed the rear view camera with video.
Which Cables and fittings did you use?

Pizziola29

Reaction score
This has been a super helpful thread! I have a new 2021 2500 Limited (with 3D backup). I am looking to bypass the cargo camera and install a camera in (yes inside) my leer shell that will hopefully activate with my shell’s led dome light. The problem is through all of my searching I’ve been unable to find the harness and camera type necessary.

And thanks to David’s (I think that’s who) YouTube livestream recording I’ve ordered the hardware to run my digital rearview to the rear of my Leer shell. I’m new to the forum, so thank you all for the information. I will try to post my rear mount solution once I see what the camera looks like and what I’m up against.

For both bypasses/extensions I am attempting to run directly from the CHMSL with a connection for each to be fairly quickly disconnected when I want to take the cap off.

Long story short/ looking for camera oem replacement or aftermarket compatible camera and harness for the cargo camera.

-Eric
ANy chance you have some pics of this? Also, which exact items did you end up ordering?

TheTrumpster

Reaction score
Access is through the bed post hole on the rear left side of the bed. Goes straight down in the fender. Very easy to run wires that way.

The mirror stays connected and no need to adjust anything.

Ill send you a pm and we can discuss. Happy to help out, just need some clarity on your topper, etc.

2 x RFC100 Fakra C Male to Fakra Z Female Coax RF Cable
1 x Genuine Mopar Camera 68448640aa
I have been looking for this same solution. I have the 21 75th PW with an ARE topper and would like to get my rearview camera working again. Also add a camera to put on my 35' bumper pull camper. What are your suggestions?

kpecks

Reaction score
I have been looking for this same solution. I have the 21 75th PW with an ARE topper and would like to get my rearview camera working again. Also add a camera to put on my 35' bumper pull camper. What are your suggestions?

ARE topper is easy. You will just have to unplug cable from your 3rd brake light and run an extension under your truck to the topper through bed post hole. You can either drill through the topper under the housing or pop off the 3rd brake light on the topper and run the cable through the light hole.

Send me a PM. Happy to help!

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Yep! Camera from eBay is fine Mopar Camera and yes male to female cable. $85 shipped PayPal kpecks@gmail.com or Venmo @kpecks.

Kenny
Hi - why do you need to tap power from the 3rd brake light? Doesn’t the camera get its power from the connection in the bumper? That’s how it works with the wired RV cam that integrates with the digital mirror.

I was thinking of ordering a second camera kit to use one on the topper as well as the one I’ve already installed on the trailer.

The connectors you posted look different than the ones that come with the kit. I hope I’m not confused, but they fit correctly with the plug (in the bumper) for the mirror??

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
You can seal the fakra connectors the same way they are sealed at the front camera, and rear camera connection between the bumper and tailgate- a small silicone o-ring.
I’ve gone back to read this thread and noticed you mentioned the silicone o-ring. Are you aware of a part number for this? I’d like to have a supply on hand - I got some good advice to use dialectic grease on the fittings to make them easier to move in and out of the bumper plug, but I think they’ll need to be replaced from time to time. Thanks!

kpecks

Reaction score
Hi - why do you need to tap power from the 3rd brake light? Doesn’t the camera get its power from the connection in the bumper? That’s how it works with the wired RV cam that integrates with the digital mirror.

I was thinking of ordering a second camera kit to use one on the topper as well as the one I’ve already installed on the trailer.

The connectors you posted look different than the ones that come with the kit. I hope I’m not confused, but they fit correctly with the plug (in the bumper) for the mirror??
You don’t tap into anything on the 3rd brake light on a 22. You simply disconnect the cable behind the bumper connection and plug in a fakra extension and run to your camera on your topper. The cable that connects to the bumper housing is already equipped with an o-ring and will perform fine as is.

kpecks

Reaction score
The factory add on camera is different. The back of the bumper connection is a fakra cable. The front is similar to an RCA video cable.

Users who are viewing this thread