Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rearview mirror with truck cap

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
You don’t tap into anything on the 3rd brake light on a 22. You simply disconnect the cable behind the bumper connection and plug in a fakra extension and run to your camera on your topper. The cable that connects to the bumper housing is already equipped with an o-ring and will perform fine as is.
Got it - I think i get what you’re saying.

Don’t know if you know, but a few questions on that Mopar camera on eBay (which is much cheaper than the official kit (camera, mount, and cable) for the RV rear view:

1) does it have the right field of vision - the same as either the CHMSL or the camera used for the RV tow view?

2) are you aware of a cable that could connect it to the bumper input of the 2022’s? It is RCA-like as you mention, I’m not sure exactly the right naming convention - but I’d love to be able to plug in either the RV camera or a topper camera for rear view in the same socket than have to disconnect the fakra to connect it behind the bumper

3) does your mount work with it in either vertical or horizontal position - meaning - not sure if I would mount it to the top of the topper (most likely) or lower, perhaps even to the window, which would be a different camera orientation.

Thanks for any additional insight you have!

tbRAM

Reaction score
Got it - I think i get what you’re saying.

Don’t know if you know, but a few questions on that Mopar camera on eBay (which is much cheaper than the official kit (camera, mount, and cable) for the RV rear view:

1) does it have the right field of vision - the same as either the CHMSL or the camera used for the RV tow view?

2) are you aware of a cable that could connect it to the bumper input of the 2022’s? It is RCA-like as you mention, I’m not sure exactly the right naming convention - but I’d love to be able to plug in either the RV camera or a topper camera for rear view in the same socket than have to disconnect the fakra to connect it behind the bumper

3) does your mount work with it in either vertical or horizontal position - meaning - not sure if I would mount it to the top of the topper (most likely) or lower, perhaps even to the window, which would be a different camera orientation.

Thanks for any additional insight you have!
I am in a similar situation with adding a new CHMSL camera to my topper (RLD Designs). I've run the fakra cable and the camera is working with the display (rear view) but now I need to find or design/make a camera housing for it. What have you come up with for yours?

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation with adding a new CHMSL camera to my topper (RLD Designs). I've run the fakra cable and the camera is working with the display (rear view) but now I need to find or design/make a camera housing for it. What have you come up with for yours?
I don’t want you to have the wrong impression. It’s @kpecs who did a 3D printed mount for a camera sourced from eBay.

I bought the official RV tow camera kit from a member in this forum - it comes with the camera, a mount, and a cable (I want to say 40’ but I don’t recall). That’s what I set up on my trailer and it plugs directly in to an outlet on the bumper on my 22.

I’m contemplating getting another camera that I can use on the topper - but I’d like to use the same kind of cable with a plug that fits in the bumper socket - not to have to dismantle something to attach to a fakra connector inside the bumper. So I haven’t done the topper one yet - just the RV.

tbRAM

Reaction score
I don’t want you to have the wrong impression. It’s @kpecs who did a 3D printed mount for a camera sourced from eBay.

I bought the official RV tow camera kit from a member in this forum - it comes with the camera, a mount, and a cable (I want to say 40’ but I don’t recall). That’s what I set up on my trailer and it plugs directly in to an outlet on the bumper on my 22.

I’m contemplating getting another camera that I can use on the topper - but I’d like to use the same kind of cable with a plug that fits in the bumper socket - not to have to dismantle something to attach to a fakra connector inside the bumper. So I haven’t done the topper one yet - just the RV.
Thanks for the clarification, I’ll re-re-read the thread (again).

I ran a fakra extension from the 3rd brake light on the cab to the back of the truck and up the driver side post hole into the topper where I plan to connect a CHMSL camera. This is where our situation is similar. I bought the CHMSL camera which doesn’t have a mount or housing nor can I find a compatible mount/housing. I’m looking for specifics on the Mopar Tow Camera (pod) that is used on the back of the trailer to see if I can mount that on the back of the topper and connect with my pre-run fakra cable.

Is the tow camera you bought from a member the Mopar/RAM tow camera kit? (I’ll reread while waiting).

Attachments

• 874DAD06-CB30-4BED-A939-62276054443A.jpeg
    874DAD06-CB30-4BED-A939-62276054443A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • 0E308987-9417-4148-9CC7-6855FF11914A.jpeg
    0E308987-9417-4148-9CC7-6855FF11914A.jpeg
    589.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 3462F2B6-D9DC-40EC-BB93-721D97AE9BF6.jpeg
    3462F2B6-D9DC-40EC-BB93-721D97AE9BF6.jpeg
    474 KB · Views: 109
  • 7B447AC1-9170-482C-90D8-A184F9CB3D6F.jpeg
    7B447AC1-9170-482C-90D8-A184F9CB3D6F.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 108

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, I’ll re-re-read the thread (again).

I ran a fakra extension from the 3rd brake light on the cab to the back of the truck and up the driver side post hole into the topper where I plan to connect a CHMSL camera. This is where our situation is similar. I bought the CHMSL camera which doesn’t have a mount or housing nor can I find a compatible mount/housing. I’m looking for specifics on the Mopar Tow Camera (pod) that is used on the back of the trailer to see if I can mount that on the back of the topper and connect with my pre-run fakra cable.

Is the tow camera you bought from a member the Mopar/RAM tow camera kit? (I’ll reread while waiting).
Yes, I bought the kit part number 68527599AA

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Think the picture quality/view perspective is the same or similar enough to the 3rd brake light CHMSL? If so, ordering now.
I can’t say for sure. I only used the CHSML camera once for 2 minutes the day I brought the truck home. The next day I had the topper installed and since then it’s obviously useless. From what I remember, they provide a very similar view. The camera on the RV showing up in the digital mirror is perfect.

tbRAM

Reaction score
I’ll try it. In fact, I may try to make the mount easy to relocate so I can use it on the topper and then move it to back of the RV when towing. Thanks for the help. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Think the picture quality/view perspective is the same or similar enough to the 3rd brake light CHMSL? If so, ordering now.
The camera that you are holding in your hand, part number 68448640AA, is the exact same camera that is used for both the camera in the CHMSL and the one used inside the camera housing of the mopar tow mode camera kit.

tbRAM

Reaction score
The camera that you are holding in your hand, part number 68448640AA, is the exact same camera that is used for both the camera in the CHMSL and the one used inside the camera housing of the mopar tow mode camera kit.
That’s the question I should have lead with. Shopping for it now.

kpecks

Reaction score
On the 22s the advantage of plugging in to the back of the bumper fakra cable is the rear view mirror then acts as if it’s attached to a trailer giving you better adjustability to aim the camera up down left right. Those adjustments go away when you run a cable from the cable inside the cab.

Happy to supply the camera housing to anyone in need of a good solution!

tbRAM

Reaction score
On the 22s the advantage of plugging in to the back of the bumper fakra cable is the rear view mirror then acts as if it’s attached to a trailer giving you better adjustability to aim the camera up down left right. Those adjustments go away when you run a cable from the cable inside the cab.

Thanks for the info @kpecks. I'll just reconnect the port on the bumper when I want to tow using the factory tow camera. Otherwise the tow camera will be mounted to the back door of the topper and connected to the fakra behind the bumper. No point in buying two $500 cameras.

Thanks again for sharing!

Last edited:

mjlebsa

Reaction score
Thanks to kpecks for the camera housing. I mounted it today on top of my truck topper and it worked perfectly. 2022. 3500

53252307d3fe78718c037279d9bfad13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanF

Reaction score

I am interested in one of your camera housings. Are you still making theses?

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I purchased a second trailer camera kit and installed it today with my friend Carl. Here’s what we did:

- Mounted the camera on the upper window frame of the cap,
- fed the cable up through the top hole on the passenger side of the bed and covers that section with wire harness as a “grommet” option
- used the screws of the cap frame to attach some cable clips to keep the cable out of the way,
- brought the other end of the cable through a grommeted hole above the license plate
- fit the cable to the bumper input (and installed the mount for when not in use)
- then coiled up the cable and cable tied it in the empty space behind the wheel well.

The exit of the cable isn’t pretty but I didn’t want to drill into the bumper. When not towing, the “cap cam” is plugged in and visible in the digital mirror. When towing, the “cap cam” cable will sit in the weather-proof holder (under the input) while the trailer cable is plugged in to the mirror.

It’s a little “bouncy” so I’m going to double check screws/bolts and see if I can improve it but it’s great to have for when the back of the truck is loaded with camping gear and you’re driving away from the campsite for an adventure. Nice to have an actual rear view!

Pics below.

7C49D6C8-ECD1-43DB-B2CD-5DFA51609E8C.jpegAD18D420-207A-455D-AD26-DF54FE1EFB7D.jpeg3C7AC600-26F8-4471-829F-38F6986DF369.jpeg0E94E28D-9D97-4B12-8CA3-3AF1539D9AF3.jpeg4D2FA917-DB5D-4513-9BCB-D3764FD968A7.jpegB3D3A918-FEFD-4BAD-8E8F-E5DA1A0E9A84.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread