Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rearview mirror with truck cap

AirbornePSG

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited on order and want to put a cap on the back. Where is the digital rearview mirror camera located? Will the truck cap block it or is it located on the tailgate?

RiffSurfer

Reaction score
It looked to me like it was on the cab brake light.... I hope I'm wrong because I plan on putting a camper on it

jsalbre

Reaction score
Very likely it’s using the upper cab/3rd brake light camera. The view from the tailgate camera would be a very different perspective from what people are used to.

I don’t have any definitive verification on that though.

AirbornePSG

Reaction score
It’s in the CHMSL, so the cap will block it.

Do you have a source for this? I ask because the picture on the Trucks website shows a view that would lead one to believe its mounted on the tailgate.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Do you have a source for this? I ask because the picture on the Trucks website shows a view that would lead one to believe its mounted on the tailgate.
The fact that that is where it is on the 1500, and it is the same system on the HDs. I see nothing in the pic on ramtrucks website that would make it look like it is mounted on the tailgate. Keep in mind, the camera is facing straight back, as opposed to downward like the cargo camera, so it mimics you looking straight out the rear window.
VbEpP6U.jpg

AirbornePSG

Reaction score
The fact that that is where it is on the 1500, and it is the same system on the HDs. I see nothing in the pic on ramtrucks website that would make it look like it is mounted on the tailgate. Keep in mind, the camera is facing straight back, as opposed to downward like the cargo camera, so it mimics you looking straight out the rear window.
VbEpP6U.jpg

Thankyou I appreciate it. This is a bummer, wonder if there will be a mod to move the camera to the back of the caps.

Pronto

Reaction score

Does that replace the cargo camera? What happens if you have a cargo camera and a digital rearview? My truck on order is supposed to have both.

SteelersFan

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie with the surround view camera system. There is a camera mounted on the tail gate for rear view and a camera mounted at the back of the cab on the stop lamp for a cargo camera facing into the bed more than a rear view. I have a Leer 100 xl on my truck and the cargo camera is no longer of use. Not that I would have used it much anyhow.

Attachments

• 49660DF2-A7B4-4C7C-AA3E-F8020109C8BB.jpeg
    49660DF2-A7B4-4C7C-AA3E-F8020109C8BB.jpeg
    683.3 KB · Views: 90

SLRAM21

Reaction score
Any find a Mod to move the Digital Rearview camera to the back of a camper shell?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Any find a Mod to move the Digital Rearview camera to the back of a camper shell?
There isn't a mod to move the cargo camera and it's been around longer so... I'm guessing 'no'.

Will_T

Reaction score
Seems like it would be a matter of connecting in a run of appropriate cable to run to the back of the shell. Problems may be: What cabling and what connectors to use? Also how to get the cable out of the headliner behind the CHMSL without water leaking in. I would be very hesitant to try this as there are already issues for some with water leaking in that area and a mod like this may just make it worse.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
This is the camera for the digital rear view mirror- 68448640AA
This is the coax cable needed to connect the camera to the mirror- https://www.ebay.com/itm/RG174-Fakr...4e9eb3f557cdef81db18|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
Since you need more than the 20’ length available, you would finish off with a length that is male to female. Running it should be straight forward- mirror to driver side A-pillar, out the firewall, along the chassis to the back, and up the camper shell to some type of custom fabbed enclosure.

Will_T

Reaction score
Since you need more than the 20’ length available, you would finish off with a length that is male to female.
This is the male to female I think.

I wonder how long you can make the cable run and have it still work? I am not sure I really need the camera when not towing, but it would be cool to run a length from the travel trailer tongue to the rear of the TT and a camera. Then plug it in to the run from the mirror to the rear of the truck. Then the mirror would show what was behind the TT when towing. But the cable run would be at least 50' so maybe that would be an issue?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
This is the male to female I think.

I wonder how long you can make the cable run and have it still work? I am not sure I really need the camera when not towing, but it would be cool to run a length from the travel trailer tongue to the rear of the TT and a camera. Then plug it in to the run from the mirror to the rear of the truck. Then the mirror would show what was behind the TT when towing. But the cable run would be at least 50' so maybe that would be an issue?
No issue at all. In fact, the 2022s with have an upgraded digital rear view mirror that accepts two inputs, one for the CHMSL like this year, and one for a trailer for tow mode. It will have the same RG174 coax run from the mirror to the bumper (~35’), and will include 52’ of cable for the trailer.

Will_T

Reaction score
No issue at all. In fact, the 2022s with have an upgraded digital rear view mirror that accepts two inputs, one for the CHMSL like this year, and one for a trailer for tow mode. It will have the same RG174 coax run from the mirror to the bumper (~35’), and will include 52’ of cable for the trailer.
Thanks. I did change out the OEM CHMSL today to a much thinner stop light only so the shell will fit fine without having to move it back 3/4" like the installer said they could do. Reconnected the cameras and stuffed the wires back into the headliner. All is fine with no leaks but of course the digital mirror and cargo bed cameras just show black now. I may eventually try to extend them to the rear using your tips but for now will leave as is. One issue I have not thought enough about to solve, if there even is a solution, is this: How to get the wires and camera connections out of the headliner space in a clean way that does not allow water to enter? May not be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread