Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rearview mirror with truck cap

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Thanks. I did change out the OEM CHMSL today to a much thinner stop light only so the shell will fit fine without having to move it back 3/4" like the installer said they could do. Reconnected the cameras and stuffed the wires back into the headliner. All is fine with no leaks but of course the digital mirror and cargo bed cameras just show black now. I may eventually try to extend them to the rear using your tips but for now will leave as is. One issue I have not thought enough about to solve, if there even is a solution, is this: How to get the wires and camera connections out of the headliner space in a clean way that does not allow water to enter? May not be possible.
I think a waterproof plug would be needed for the interface between the truck and the cap...

Will_T

Reaction score
I think a waterproof plug would be needed for the interface between the truck and the cap...
Yes, but the real issue I think is getting the wiring out of the headliner to the cap in a waterproof way. Not the connection, but the actual route out from behind the light.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Yes, but the real issue I think is getting the wiring out of the headliner to the cap in a waterproof way. Not the connection, but the actual route out from behind the light.
I guess I could've been more clear.
I meant a 'waterproof' plug at/near the light to make the connection.
Trying to get the wiring out, and keep it 'waterproof' would be a crap show...

Bigwalnuthoney

Reaction score
I think abandoning the chmsl cable and running new from the mirror to the cap cam as @Jimmy07 suggested is the way to go. Not sure how waterproof the connection inside the topper would truly need to be.

Will_T

Reaction score
I think abandoning the chmsl cable and running new from the mirror to the cap cam as @Jimmy07 suggested is the way to go. Not sure how waterproof the connection inside the topper would truly need to be.
I agree. It would be great to be able to take off from the rear of the cab but running new all the way to the mirror would be OK. If the first run made it from the mirror to the shell before a connection was needed, then that connection would be safe from the elements. To continue from the shell to the back of a TT, another connection would be needed at the hitch and if 20' is the max cable available, then another connection part way back on the trailer. Those connections may be more problematic to waterproof but there may be a weather proof connector that would work. I wonder how RAM plans to make that connection at the hitch next year when they provide the mirror with tow inputs and the 52' of cable for the trailer?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. It would be great to be able to take off from the rear of the cab but running new all the way to the mirror would be OK. If the first run made it from the mirror to the shell before a connection was needed, then that connection would be safe from the elements. To continue from the shell to the back of a TT, another connection would be needed at the hitch and if 20' is the max cable available, then another connection part way back on the trailer. Those connections may be more problematic to waterproof but there may be a weather proof connector that would work. I wonder how RAM plans to make that connection at the hitch next year when they provide the mirror with tow inputs and the 52' of cable for the trailer?

The Trailer 360 surround will be through the existing 12-pin connector.

There will be a remote CVPM box that the cameras feed.

2022-ram-hd-trailer-360-camera-kit-1024x589.jpeg

Cheetah

Reaction score
I'm curious to see if "must be ordered at vehicle build" is hard and fast like the VSIM, or if our community will find a way to retrofit. Hoping for a retrofit, though with rumors(?) of updated head unit electronics for 2022 as well, I'm not holding my breath.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if "must be ordered at vehicle build" is hard and fast like the VSIM, or if our community will find a way to retrofit. Hoping for a retrofit, though with rumors(?) of updated head unit electronics for 2022 as well, I'm not holding my breath.

Easy to retro a VSIM, Jimmy has covered it.

You're partly correct that the issue with some of these features trying to be DIY to older MY is the hardware/firmware, but it's just as much the BCM hardware/firmware as the radio.

Cheetah

Reaction score
Easy to retro a VSIM, Jimmy has covered it.

You're partly correct that the issue with some of these features trying to be DIY to older MY is the hardware/firmware, but it's just as much the BCM hardware/firmware as the radio.
Not sure how I missed that, though see the thread now. I did put one in my order, so I'm set. As straight forward as it looks to add, I wonder why FCA was so adamant about factory order only. This is a mirror thread though :D

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
You can seal the fakra connectors the same way they are sealed at the front camera, and rear camera connection between the bumper and tailgate- a small silicone o-ring.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Not sure how I missed that, though see the thread now. I did put one in my order, so I'm set. As straight forward as it looks to add, I wonder why FCA was so adamant about factory order only. This is a mirror thread though :D
If you ask FCA engineering, they will tell you it’s impossible to add ANY feature after the fact.

Bigwalnuthoney

Reaction score
Is there a version of chmsl with just the cargo box cam and without the mirror cam? And if so, would it be lower profile than the version with both cams? Would be nice to relocate the mirror cam to the topper but retain the cargo cam for when the shell is off to pull the GN.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Is there a version of chmsl with just the cargo box cam and without the mirror cam? And if so, would it be lower profile than the version with both cams? Would be nice to relocate the mirror cam to the topper but retain the cargo cam for when the shell is off to pull the GN.
There is, but the housing profile is exactly the same as the one with both cameras. It is actually the cargo camera that makes the CHMSL stick out as far as it does.

Cheetah

Reaction score
If you ask FCA engineering, they will tell you it’s impossible to add ANY feature after the fact.
Well, we all know here that's nonsense! I figured the VSIM was a matter of too many wiring harness changes (which you've addressed) and too many system updates for FCA to be comfortable with dealers doing. To an extent, they do have a point–service departments regardless of brand often leave something to be desired.

When the hardware for this becomes available, I'll probably give a go at some kind of integration. I expect the "controller" is taking care of compositing the four video channels, and sending the result upstream.

Even without proper vehicle support, I'd think there are viable approaches. Just need to spend some quality time sniffing the bus on a fully configured vehicle, perhaps a bit of firmware on a microcontroller to wake up the controller, and inserting the resultant composited image through existing means. If we're really lucky, even that might not be necessary and it's just a dumb box that's not listening for anything. Just a matter of video or datastream switching then.

I think I have my truck project for next year :)

surftahoe

Reaction score
This has been a super helpful thread! I have a new 2021 2500 Limited (with 3D backup). I am looking to bypass the cargo camera and install a camera in (yes inside) my leer shell that will hopefully activate with my shell’s led dome light. The problem is through all of my searching I’ve been unable to find the harness and camera type necessary.

And thanks to David’s (I think that’s who) YouTube livestream recording I’ve ordered the hardware to run my digital rearview to the rear of my Leer shell. I’m new to the forum, so thank you all for the information. I will try to post my rear mount solution once I see what the camera looks like and what I’m up against.

For both bypasses/extensions I am attempting to run directly from the CHMSL with a connection for each to be fairly quickly disconnected when I want to take the cap off.

Long story short/ looking for camera oem replacement or aftermarket compatible camera and harness for the cargo camera.

-Eric

Will_T

Reaction score
For both bypasses/extensions I am attempting to run directly from the CHMSL with a connection for each to be fairly quickly disconnected when I want to take the cap off.

Not sure I am understanding you correctly, but do you mean connect to the camera wire that is/was connected to the CHMSL? If yes, how are you going to waterproof the light while still having the cable exiting it? It was suggested earlier that to avoid that issue, a new wire run directly from the mirror in the cab would be easier.

surftahoe

Reaction score
Not sure I am understanding you correctly, but do you mean connect to the camera wire that is/was connected to the CHMSL? If yes, how are you going to waterproof the light while still having the cable exiting it? It was suggested earlier that to avoid that issue, a new wire run directly from the mirror in the cab would be easier.

Yes, sorry to be confusing. I’m fairly confident I can run it water tight. I ordered a few wiring lengths in the case that I get there and it looks like I won’t be able to run a water tight option from the CHMSL. And if it is easy enough to run from the rearview in the cab I will go that route. I would just ideally like to have my connections release (for both cargo and rearview) in the same vicinity for simplicity when I need to remove the shell. When I get there though I will be sure to post my solution. Still looking for the cargo camera and harness info however. I’d like to tackle both projects at the same time. Thanks again for the advice.

surftahoe

Reaction score
Alright I’m going for it. I’ve ordered the two cameras (cargo cam and rear view) and what I believe will be all the necessary lengths of FAKRA and various male/female combos. I have also ordered a mopar housing/bezel setup from a Jeep Renegade as it appears the mounting is the same (????), I guess I’ll see next week. Also identified a Leer 3rd break light replacement to fiddle with. Between the renegade bezel and the cheap 3rd break light I have some tinkering to do to see what will mount up the cleanest. In my search I also found a Dodge Dart bezel witch could work if I had a flat facing application. So in summary: 1) installing rearview in or near my Leer 3rd break light; and 2) installing cargo cam in the forward interior of Leer cap above the front slider. Wish me luck. I have part numbers and will summarize a viable solution in organized fashion later. … oh! And a big big thanks to @Brutal_HO @Jimmy07 and @LateToTheParty for all the part numbers and clarifications. And @Patriot Motor Sports USA for that great video!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Alright I’m going for it. I’ve ordered the two cameras (cargo cam and rear view) and what I believe will be all the necessary lengths of FAKRA and various male/female combos. I have also ordered a mopar housing/bezel setup from a Jeep Renegade as it appears the mounting is the same (????), I guess I’ll see next week. Also identified a Leer 3rd break light replacement to fiddle with. Between the renegade bezel and the cheap 3rd break light I have some tinkering to do to see what will mount up the cleanest. In my search I also found a Dodge Dart bezel witch could work if I had a flat facing application. So in summary: 1) installing rearview in or near my Leer 3rd break light; and 2) installing cargo cam in the forward interior of Leer cap above the front slider. Wish me luck. I have part numbers and will summarize a viable solution in organized fashion later. … oh! And a big big thanks to @Brutal_HO @Jimmy07 and @LateToTheParty for all the part numbers and clarifications. And @Patriot Motor Sports USA for that great video!
Awesome... that's quite the project, hope it works out!

Kolapore Ram

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited on order and want to put a cap on the back. Where is the digital rearview mirror camera located? Will the truck cap block it or is it located on the tailgate?
I have a 2021 Ram 2500 with a Leer Cap. And yes it blocks the digital camera. I also have the auxiliary trailer camera wiring , so I’m trying to figure out how to use that to make up for the rear view digital loss.

Users who are viewing this thread