Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rearview mirror with truck cap

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Maybe you can adapt the new Tow Mode mirror once it's available. It'll use an aux camera as a feed to the digital rear view.

PMJohns

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram 2500 Laramie’s digital rear view mirror camera is definitely in the CHMSL and is definitely blocked by my truck cap. Some day I would like to modify it so that it uses the truck cap stop light. Just an aside. My regular rear view mirror is blocked by the dog crates in the truck bed.

bfs673

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram 2500 Laramie’s digital rear view mirror camera is definitely in the CHMSL and is definitely blocked by my truck cap. Some day I would like to modify it so that it uses the truck cap stop light. Just an aside. My regular rear view mirror is blocked by the dog crates in the truck bed.
I'd like to see someone build a kit, with a relay using an Aux switch to use either the CHMSL camera, or a splice into a separate camera in either a truck cap, or a trailer.
I'd LOVE to get my rear view mirror image from the back of my trailer when towing. Regular camera when not.

surftahoe

Reaction score
I'd like to see someone build a kit, with a relay using an Aux switch to use either the CHMSL camera, or a splice into a separate camera in either a truck cap, or a trailer.
I'd LOVE to get my rear view mirror image from the back of my trailer when towing. Regular camera when not.

I am jumping into this mod as soon as the fakra video switch is delivered. I have all other parts and looks like it will work well. I’ll post part numbers/links as soon as I get going on the project and see what direction it heads. I have a leer shell and the angle/slope of the of the top next to 3rd break light matches the angle of the camera bezel I’m using. The only part of this project I’m feeling a little funny about is cutting into a perfectly good fiberglass surface. But I’m doing it anyway!!!!

Plan summary:
-Digital Rearview Cam
Fakra switch located in driver side rear of cab, video A to current cam (CHMSL) and video B to new cam which will mount to lookers right of 3rd break light on cap.

-Cargo Cam
Same switch location as digital rearview, video A to current cargo cam (CHMSL) and video B to new cam inside shell above front window slider.

-Eric

bfs673

Reaction score
I am jumping into this mod as soon as the fakra video switch is delivered. I have all other parts and looks like it will work well. I’ll post part numbers/links as soon as I get going on the project and see what direction it heads. I have a leer shell and the angle/slope of the of the top next to 3rd break light matches the angle of the camera bezel I’m using. The only part of this project I’m feeling a little funny about is cutting into a perfectly good fiberglass surface. But I’m doing it anyway!!!!

Plan summary:
-Digital Rearview Cam
Fakra switch located in driver side rear of cab, video A to current cam (CHMSL) and video B to new cam which will mount to lookers right of 3rd break light on cap.

-Cargo Cam
Same switch location as digital rearview, video A to current cargo cam (CHMSL) and video B to new cam inside shell above front window slider.

-Eric
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

My biggest concern would be routing a cable somehow from the back of the truck to the CHMSL Assy.

surftahoe

Reaction score
Update:
Finally got to this project. Installed digital rearview cam in the top of my shell below the third brake light.

First I ran two sections of cable from both the cargo cam and digital cam down the drivers side rear section of the cab liner. This was easy to do, a quick removal of the CHMSL, popped the fakra off each camera, ran an extension from each camera and each existing cable.

Then, from the third brake light on my shell: Ran cables from back of camera tucked into rear window weather strip, down the rear left edge of shell into the space behind left break/signal light in bed where all the shell wiring travels. Then followed existing wiring harness back to cab under the bed. From the rear edge of the cab (under) I went to the driver side rear seat location and drilled a 1/2” hole adjacent to the rear seat anchor/bolt. Ran the fakra cable up using a 1/2” OD rubber grommet. I was careful not to puncture the flooring insulation or carpet, and even though the cables were tight in the grommet I forced a dab of sealant in to keep it extra secure and moisture tight. I said cables, plural, because I also ran the cargo cam cable through the same grommet though I have not installed that camera inside the shell yet.

Quality of rearview looks as I remember it before putting the shell on. I need to tweak the horizon slightly.

I’ll post pics and part numbers as soon as I can. I did end up using an OEM camera bezel from a Dodge Dart.

-Eric

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Update:
Finally got to this project. Installed digital rearview cam in the top of my shell below the third brake light.

First I ran two sections of cable from both the cargo cam and digital cam down the drivers side rear section of the cab liner. This was easy to do, a quick removal of the CHMSL, popped the fakra off each camera, ran an extension from each camera and each existing cable.

Then, from the third brake light on my shell: Ran cables from back of camera tucked into rear window weather strip, down the rear left edge of shell into the space behind left break/signal light in bed where all the shell wiring travels. Then followed existing wiring harness back to cab under the bed. From the rear edge of the cab (under) I went to the driver side rear seat location and drilled a 1/2” hole adjacent to the rear seat anchor/bolt. Ran the fakra cable up using a 1/2” OD rubber grommet. I was careful not to puncture the flooring insulation or carpet, and even though the cables were tight in the grommet I forced a dab of sealant in to keep it extra secure and moisture tight. I said cables, plural, because I also ran the cargo cam cable through the same grommet though I have not installed that camera inside the shell yet.

Quality of rearview looks as I remember it before putting the shell on. I need to tweak the horizon slightly.

I’ll post pics and part numbers as soon as I can. I did end up using an OEM camera bezel from a Dodge Dart.

-Eric

This sounds awseome...

CDNgoat

Reaction score
Update:

-Eric
I,d like to do this not the cargo cam ,but keep the CHMSL can the the Falkra cable be split so i can run a cable to the back of my trailer . https://www.pasternack.com would make cables long enough, I guess I would need a toggle to switch cams when trailer is connected and another camera just not sure if the resolution would be any good ,but the cables aren,t to expensive to try but there are so many different connectors on their site, do you know the connector types required

Also going to post somewhere and search What the 22s tow mode camera deal is, and if its like what I,m trying to do if it can be retrofitted to 21s

surftahoe

Reaction score
So after using it for 3 days I’ve found that with the current amount of cable length it doesn’t seem to have the juice without the truck running. I need to check all connections and will pull the extra length out of each section (I didn’t install with exact lengths). I believe I have about 4ft extra between the section from my cab to the shell disconnect and a foot from the camera to the shell disconnect. I don’t think I mentioned that I made sure to have a connection at the cab and one at the shell where the shell harness plug lives in the case that I remove my shell at any time. As posted earlier however. It works well and quality of video is “quality” when it’s actually feeding to the rearview.

UPDATE: I experienced no issues whatsoever this morning other than a bear getting into the cab and leaving muddy prints over the entirety of my cab. I’m now wondering if the camera issue was heat related. Will troubleshoot as stated above and report back.

FINAL UPDATE (on digital rearview): I removed all the extra slack (about 4.5 feet in total) and the camera works flawlessly. I haven’t tackled the cargo cam yet but that will be much simpler and the majority of wiring is already run.

-Eric

(This is how it turned out by the way)
2e4551a80eb428c659719624e7456db4.jpg

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
@surftahoe this is exactly what I am hoping to do to my truck, only rub is that mine is a 2019 without the factory digital rearview mirror. Any chance you can put together a quick parts list? Also, as an aside, your cap is the same cap I'm looking at. Does the center lock key your your fob? If so, does it also key to the rear tailgate lock or only to the fob? I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to work it with the keyless so I don't have to pull my fob out and if I can connect it directly to the tailgate lock that would by far and away the best. The next best option would be to run it to the driver/pass door and key it to the door lock so I could just trigger it by tapping the drivers door handle like I do the locks.

For anyone else I'm curious if anyone has attempted to add the digital rearview mirror yet? I contacted infotainment and requested it as they don't have it at the moment, but it's something I'm very interested in.

Brib79

Reaction score
So after using it for 3 days I’ve found that with the current amount of cable length it doesn’t seem to have the juice without the truck running. I need to check all connections and will pull the extra length out of each section (I didn’t install with exact lengths). I believe I have about 4ft extra between the section from my cab to the shell disconnect and a foot from the camera to the shell disconnect. I don’t think I mentioned that I made sure to have a connection at the cab and one at the shell where the shell harness plug lives in the case that I remove my shell at any time. As posted earlier however. It works well and quality of video is “quality” when it’s actually feeding to the rearview.

UPDATE: I experienced no issues whatsoever this morning other than a bear getting into the cab and leaving muddy prints over the entirety of my cab. I’m now wondering if the camera issue was heat related. Will troubleshoot as stated above and report back.

FINAL UPDATE (on digital rearview): I removed all the extra slack (about 4.5 feet in total) and the camera works flawlessly. I haven’t tackled the cargo cam yet but that will be much simpler and the majority of wiring is already run.

-Eric

Do you have the part number for the bezel you are using? I am looking to do something similar with one of the universal mirrors off Amazon and like the look of the bezel.

Cpsram21

Reaction score

-Eric

Hi Eric, did you ever get a parts list together ? I really want to help my son do this to his truck and don't want to go all the way to the mirror. I like the way you did it better and would really appreciate a list of all the parts you used.

kpecks

Reaction score
Bumping this thread, hoping to get parts as I am in need of doing this!!!!

kpecks

Reaction score
The camerais located on the cab brake light on my 2021 so it is useless with my cap on

I need a cap but I’m unsure how the light housing itself will interfere with the cap? Seems like some caps fit/work better than others??

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Bumping this thread, hoping to get parts as I am in need of doing this!!!!

kpecks

Reaction score
Great. Thx for the link. Now, without having fitted the topper on, will I have issues of the front of the cap touching the topper?? It’s an ARE I want to put on...

kpecks

Reaction score
Anyone??? I’ve cross posted on several threads hoping someone to give me an answer but no one seems to know??

“Will I have issues of the front of the topper touching the CHMSL”??

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Anyone??? I’ve cross posted on several threads hoping someone to give me an answer but no one seems to know??

“Will I have issues of the front of the topper touching the CHMSL”??
Ask the topper mfg?

Users who are viewing this thread