Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Rearview mirror with truck cap

kpecks

Reaction score
Ask the topper mfg?
I did. They were useless. I ended up going full send and bought the ARE and put it on. It fits. No issues. I’ll post pics when it’s light out again so when the next guy comes along to ask... it’ll save them some time.

0816AC95-D5BB-4995-BE19-DA6E7B86A1D7.jpeg

Reaction score
Hey! What bezel is everyone using? did anyone figure out the most effective means of routing cable? Thanks in advancve.

kpecks

Reaction score
Hey! What bezel is everyone using? did anyone figure out the most effective means of routing cable? Thanks in advancve.

I picked this up to try based on another members suggestion. I’m waiting on the camera and cables to come in and I’ll be able to get it all connected.

I bought my son a 3d printer for Christmas. I’ll be half tempted to try and make something to work if this housing doesn’t fit. Can’t be that hard right?!

Rear View Camera Cover 2018 Jeep Renegade 5UX73LXHAA / 735591063 2015 - 2020
182DB4BE-1F86-45A0-82FC-DFE353BBF72F.jpeg

Reaction score
I picked this up to try based on another members suggestion. I’m waiting on the camera and cables to come in and I’ll be able to get it all connected.

I bought my son a 3d printer for Christmas. I’ll be half tempted to try and make something to work if this housing doesn’t fit. Can’t be that hard right?!

Rear View Camera Cover 2018 Jeep Renegade 5UX73LXHAA / 735591063 2015 - 2020
View attachment 29521
Nice! Was literally just reading another post you made. You ever decide which route youre going with? Straight to the mirror? Or try to rig it off the cab camera connection?

kpecks

Reaction score
OEM camera Genuine Mopar Camera 68448640aaNice! Was literally just reading another post you made. You ever decide which route youre going with? Straight to the mirror? Or try to rig it off the cab camera connection?
I was just going to run an extension from the 3rd brake light location down and then back to the topper. It won’t be often that I remove the topper to haul a 5th wheel, if we even go that route for a new camper. So I decided to go ahead and run the cables to a splitter under the rear seat. Below are the cables I purchased. I picked up a simple coax splitter on amazon for $8. I will have a 6’ cable extension connected to the new camera on the back of the topper and connect that to the main run to the splitter so if I need to remove the topper, I can just disconnect and stuff it in the post hole or something. Hopefully it all works according to plan! I should have it done next week. I plan on running the cable to the camera thru the 3rd brake light area/hole on the topper. I’ll post pics up when I get done with the install.

If you didn’t want to go this route, all you would have to do is get a 20’ extension from the CHMSL, plug it in to the cable coming off the camera and plug it in to the camera on the topper. It’s easy to pull the CHMSL off but I didn’t get want to do that

Here’s what I ordered below:

1x RFC195
2x RG174
2x RC100 6’ length
1x RC100 20’ length
1x zenith coax switcher from amazon
1x OEM camera

9E7ADAAD-8729-43DC-B967-92BADA7467FF.jpeg

Last edited:

kpecks

Reaction score
As it turns out, the camera bezel/housing isn’t going to work as planned. I will need to come up with another solution.

I need something that will house the camera entirely.

BF8DFD36-6D6A-4EE5-B67F-ED386914FF1D.jpegD7D93446-6FE5-4928-BFF7-97BA71154582.jpeg

kpecks

Reaction score
I posted in another thread but for posterity's sake and to keep this thread going, i decided to design a camera housing that will hopefully work for those of us that have a topper and want to use the digital review camera. The camera will be adhered with 3m automotive double-sided tape and is meant to sit flat on the top of the topper. I angled the camera support internally to allow the camera to aim slightly downward. First edition is printing and will post updates as things progress. I plan on either drilling a hole under the camera housing to run the cable or i will try and figure out a way to run the wire through the exiting 3rd brake light wiring hole. Fingers crossed this housing will get me really close to what i need to make this project work and get the digital rearview camera usable again.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 2.41.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 2.42.09 PM.png

Last edited:

kpecks

Reaction score
after a successful print, here is prototype V1.... Im happy w the camera fitment inside the housing and the overall profile. below are the mods im making to V2.

Below the first set of pics is Version 2 rendering.... i modified the lens hood by shortening it as it was too long. I made the base walls wider to better accommodate the 3m double sided adhesive and also modified the base to better follow the contour of the ARE topper which will actually cause the camera to tilt further down at a better angle. I also decreased the overall length and height which will give it a better profile. 7 hours of print time and ill have another prototype...

IMG_8457D.JPG

IMG_8458D.JPG

IMG_8459D.JPG

IMG_8460D.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 10.20.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-10 at 10.20.36 AM.png

John Jensen

Reaction score
Your ability and a 3D printer make an awesome combination for success. Nice work!

kpecks

Reaction score
Here is V4 and hopefully the last revision! I will print the final functional product in PETG or ASB and probably coat w paint/uv inhibitor.

V4: I added a cord channel, adjusted and widened the bottom contour and adjusted the depth of the lens port. As soon as things dethaw this morning, I’ll get it mocked up and see how everything fits. The camera fits in there really nice with very little movement so my plan is to put a small dab of epoxy or silicone and call it a day.

If anyone is interested, I’m taking orders!

0821B48C-8C5B-4A6E-81B5-5E7622131953.jpeg86AA2756-DF2E-40D0-A2EB-16D5A43FD69A.jpeg8AED9FE6-9B3F-4994-91BD-277F339B68F4.jpeg54362BA7-60D8-47C2-BE9E-134FEC1774DA.jpeg

tombell

Reaction score
Here is V4 and hopefully the last revision! I will print the final functional product in PETG or ASB and probably coat w paint/uv inhibitor.

V4: I added a cord channel, adjusted and widened the bottom contour and adjusted the depth of the lens port. As soon as things dethaw this morning, I’ll get it mocked up and see how everything fits. The camera fits in there really nice with very little movement so my plan is to put a small dab of epoxy or silicone and call it a day.

If anyone is interested, I’m taking orders!

It appears this is for mounting on top of the roof/cab, yes?
For mounting on my pop up camper - either on the back wall or near the license plate - I think I need a front mount.
Love your engineering though!

kpecks

Reaction score
For mounting on my pop up camper - either on the back wall or near the license plate - I think I need a front mount.

Yes. My application is for the back of the bed topper. I could fab up something to work your setup that would work for you since i have all the internals designed. Skinning it is relatively easy now that i have all the dimensions dialed in.

IMG_8478D.JPG

IMG_8479.JPG

Millmutt

Reaction score
I got a housing and cable from this outfit to relocate my camera. Kind of pricey but works well.

tombell

Reaction score
I got a housing and cable from this outfit to relocate my camera. Kind of pricey but works well.

pricey indeed - but certainly the mounting solution I'm looking for.
so the camera in the center break light assembly for the digital rear view mirror would fit and mount in this housing?

thank you!

Millmutt

Reaction score
I have a 2020 with the 360 surround camera. I pretty sure the non 360 camera is different and is a different housing. If you look around on that site you will find the other housing kit as well.

tombell

Reaction score
I have a 2020 with the 360 surround camera. I pretty sure the non 360 camera is different and is a different housing. If you look around on that site you will find the other housing kit as well.

Thanks.
I'll contact M&R and see if they can assist.

Millmutt

Reaction score

kpecks

Reaction score
pricey indeed - but certainly the mounting solution I'm looking for.
so the camera in the center break light assembly for the digital rear view mirror would fit and mount in this housing?

thank you!
That could work so long as the angle of tilt gives you the view you need for your rear view camera. The Digital rear view camera is different than the backup camera. The digital rear view cam needs to be almost parallel w the truck, not pointing down at a 30-45* angle. Also, the rear view cam isn’t a wide angle cam, although I wish it was or maybe find a replacement. In our motorhome, the rear camera is super wide and mounted nearly 13’ off the ground so I can see everything behind me.

DudeBro

Reaction score
I have a ‘22 with the digital rearview and trailer rearview connection. I’m thinking Inshould be able pull the plug out of the bumper and use that connection for a camera mounted at the third brake light in the truck cap. I’d have to gain entry into the bed from the bottom side, run cabling to the top-rear of the cap, then figure out a way to mount the camera in or near the shell brake light.

Trying to figure it out quickly because I have a tonneau cover on order and would cancel that/switch to truck cap if the rearview camera would still be useable.

kpecks

Reaction score
I have a ‘22 with the digital rearview and trailer rearview connection. I’m thinking Inshould be able pull the plug out of the bumper and use that connection for a camera mounted at the third brake light in the truck cap. I’d have to gain entry into the bed from the bottom side, run cabling to the top-rear of the cap, then figure out a way to mount the camera in or near the shell brake light.

Trying to figure it out quickly because I have a tonneau cover on order and would cancel that/switch to truck cap if the rearview camera would still be useable.
Yes! Unplug from the back of the bumper connection. It is a fakra connection. Get two 6’ fakra male to female cables and you’re good. This is how I have mine set up and it works perfectly.

I had to pull the topper brake light off and Drexel out the light hole but I was able to run the cable thru there and then silicone it all up nicely.

05CF5402-3DBE-44AA-94FB-711BA1D5604F.jpeg8BD5D665-C57F-4D23-90F2-F33E6C7A99CD.jpeg2EE32C47-D175-48B2-B9F2-8109A29912D5.jpegC35D324C-C868-4DB3-BCD8-81CEDBDDD520.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread