Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

John Jensen

Reaction score
In our bunch theirs 6 ram trucks, 2 3500 HO trucks, 2 3500 standard trucks, 2 2500 standard trucks.
Mine is one of the HO’s and if you’ve read the post you can see what mine does. The nephews is the other, he drives the crap outta it, tows heavy 75% of the time, regens daily, uses 5 gallons of Def a month.
The other 4 are standards and hardly ever have gauge movement and don’t really know if they regen or not but they have to because they add Def but no where near what we do.

I do feel the HO trucks produce more soot then the standard because of how the engine produces the extra horsepower with internal parts and programming.
Being the HO’s are the best when it comes to fuel efficiency how do you know if a untuned truck is giving a clean burn? Only thing that comes to mind is regeneration frequency.

As far as tuning I can see that giving a cleaner burn and reducing soot. I’ve went as far to ask edge and stealth both if they seen less regens when adding their products and they have no answer probably because they didn’t figure that in when testing the product or lack there of testing.
Now after talking to those to I did talk to Kory at PPEI and he in fact looked at soot build up and regeneration. He sees less regens by 50% and minimal def usage.

Again I wish Ram had incorporated a egt screen after going through the trouble to let you monitor the dpf.
Yes I can add a CTS3 and will when I delete the emission.
Thanks, I get it, your statements are not based on fact, they are really a result of how you feel.

I did read your posts and they tend to confuse me. For example, here in your first PP, you say they must be regening because they are using DEF. That makes no sense. The SCR system controls DEF usage. The DPF system controls Regens. They are separate systems and have no relationship other than both being part of the emissions system.

I don't mean to be critical or argumentive, just trying to understand why you say what you say.
Hoping you get things straightened out. Cheers!

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
On mine the dpf rises with average driving, non highway, average speed of 60mph. I drive 40 miles per day Monday through Friday. Weekends I may drive 10 to 50 miles but it seems every Monday it has a active regen.
Now when I see it do a passive regen it’s been on highway trips with a average speed of 70mph and it’s usually a hour into the trip when it does the first.

Passive regens aren't events like you are describing. You may see the reduction after an hour, but it's likely been passively regenerating the DPF for most of that time. The higher the EGT's the quicker the DPF cleans out.

As per the trip last weekend i added one keg of Def which put me at 3/4 a tank.
During the trip it was a total of 12 hours with 8 hours of driving I’d estimate. The truck was ether running or switched off with no idling other then a stop light. The outside temp was 25 degrees and all day the highest it got was 45 degrees for the day.
Per the gauge I could see the percentage go from 30% to 15% then to 0. The Def went from 3/4 to 1/2. The last leg of the trip and almost back home the dpf was back to 15%, it was 35 degrees outside and my average speed was back to a posted speed limit.
The out of the ordinary was I ran the tow/haul the entire time, the engine brake on and my banks pedal monster on sport 7 .
Monday on the drive to work, tow/haul on, engin brake on, pedal monster sport 7, same deal for the drive home.
Tuesday morning was the same as Monday but before pulling from the parking lot at work I looked at the dpf and it was real close to 45% so I knew a regen was coming and it started about 10 minutes later so I drove till it was over. I kinda figured it was time for that one since it was following the mountain trip.
Wednesday started off like Monday, tow/haul, engine brake, pedal monster, repeat for the drive home.
Thursday was again the exact same but on the way I looked at the dpf and it was already up to 20%
Friday I did not turn any feature on but the pedal monster sport setting level 7. Same for the commute home. After I got home I changed the air filter and didn’t leave the house again.
This morning I fired up and idled for 10 minutes, set the pedal monster, drove 6 miles, turned the truck off, went in hot breakfast, fired up the truck 10 minutes later, drove 1.5 miles to the shop, looked at the dpf and it’s back down to 20%
So I just started it up.
Dpf is at 30% again
By the trip it’s went 78.8 miles and it’s been 2:01 hours since I reset the trip after the last active regen and I’ll bet it’ll regenerate Monday morning or after work on the way home.
I believe it’s working as designed because this happens just like clockwork.
I’ll add that now I don’t believe it matters if you drive with the tow/haul on with the engine brake on and aggressive or leave everything off and drive normal, it still does a active regen like it’s on a schedule

The DPF backpressure is what the truck uses to determine soot load percent. Shutting down and firing back up it's normal to have the load percent change, it stems from the truck getting a more accurate reading on the backpressure at idle.

I'd stop idling your truck for 10 minutes in the mornings. That's the worst time to idle for the exhaust and the engine. Cummins defines 10 minutes of idle per hour of operation as excessive. Fire it up, let oil pressure build for a few second, and drive easy. What you described is a driving style that will produce more frequent regens.

If it is working as designed and you have an active regen more frequently than every 24 hours of engine run time then it's your driving style.

In our bunch theirs 6 ram trucks, 2 3500 HO trucks, 2 3500 standard trucks, 2 2500 standard trucks.
Mine is one of the HO’s and if you’ve read the post you can see what mine does. The nephews is the other, he drives the crap outta it, tows heavy 75% of the time, regens daily, uses 5 gallons of Def a month.
The other 4 are standards and hardly ever have gauge movement and don’t really know if they regen or not but they have to because they add Def but no where near what we do.

As mentioned several times, DEF consumption has nothing to do with regen. Two separate emissions systems.

I do feel the HO trucks produce more soot then the standard because of how the engine produces the extra horsepower with internal parts and programming.
Being the HO’s are the best when it comes to fuel efficiency how do you know if a untuned truck is giving a clean burn? Only thing that comes to mind is regeneration frequency.

How you feel and how they operate are likely two different things. My example about my 05 shows that more power/fuel doesn't mean more soot.

Most people claim the SO gets better fuel economy under the same conditions.

Regen frequency deals with operating conditions. Under optimal conditions they all go 24 hours between regens, SO or HO.

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I finally thought to run mine through a manual regen today to see how it went and if it might possibly affect the gauge. I've still yet to see my gauge come off of 0% at 17k miles. I'm not a big fan of stationary regens. Seemed like the truck was gonna melt down.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Y
I finally thought to run mine through a manual regen today to see how it went and if it might possibly affect the gauge. I've still yet to see my gauge come off of 0% at 17k miles. I'm not a big fan of stationary regens. Seemed like the truck was gonna melt down.
Yes they get HOT.

I keep a fan on mine and will occasionally cool the radiator with a hose.

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
Is there a fix for the missing sensor on 2022’s? I have not received any recalls on it. Am I understanding that you can just check with a dealer to have it fixed?

techman

Reaction score
I am new owner of my first diesel and only 5K miles on my 22 BH so far. Some observations on mine is the only time I saw any percentage on my DPF gauge is when I picked it up from the dealer on delivery day. It has been registering zero since. I do not idle my truck at all and treat it like a gas engine. I start it and go with zero warmup and if I am stropping and parking for more than a minute I shut it down. I've used 5 gallons of DEF in 5K miles of mix driving and only use diesel from a high volume dealer.

My 2 cents.....I think excessive idling your trucks is the common problem and hyper focusing on a gauge is probably not helping your sanity.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
Just to let y’all and other know
If your truck is regenerating very often, if your dpf gauge rises quickly or up and down a lot, if your using a lot of def, and even have low mpg, more then likely you have a bad dpf sensor and the program your currently running is faulty.
I went to the dealer service department, told them what I told here, they checked the truck, said it had a bad dpf sensor, also the program in the trucks is to actually run 2 sensors but only 1 was installed from the factory and it’s not operating as designed.
They changed the bad sensor and did whatever to the computer. My dpf gauge is at 0, operating normally according to the diesel tech, and my mpg is up to 16.5 by the paper.
Y’all have a great day…

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
Oh and as for the missing sensor, they are installing them on the cab and chaise trucks but haven’t said when it would happen to the pickups.

As for what they did to mine. The service department said this isn’t a recall yet but an open letter concerning bad dpf sensors and most trucks are having issues because of it and the program.

Will_T

Reaction score
I just explained in a new thread specifically what has been happening to my regens in the time since the below quotes. I considered just putting it all in this thread but it is not really about whether the DPF evic gauge is working or not. (Although I am not sure at all that it is!) Thread is here: https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/24-hour-regens-no-longer-happen.13803/

There are a lot of posts in this thread so it would be hard to read through them all, but I have written a few times about how my gauge makes no sense at all how it works. It usually sits at zero. A few times it has jumped up to 40% or so at least for a brief time. By that I mean when I shut off the engine it was at zero, when I started the next time it was immediately at 40+%. Then after a few start/stop cycles, I turned off the engine with it up in the 35 to 50% range and when I started the next week, it was immediately at zero again. My truck used to regen every 24 hours exactly for the first 4 or 5 24-hour marks. I could see it on my iDash where I have a "Regn On/Off" gauge set. Also, could see the EGT temps increase during the regen. But since the truck was in for some warranty work a few months ago, the 24-hour regen has not happened. I am keeping an eye on it to see if it ever does decide to do another regen. People post that it is easy to miss when it is in regen. But for me, I would not miss it since the iDash with its On/Off regen display is something I look at a lot. Also would see the EGT temps climb and that has not happend either. The gauge has been on zero this whole time since the warranty work, I have not seen it jump up to about 40% like it did before. Most of the use for the last 30 or 40 hours has been in town driving or short towing trips. No open highway for hours and hours towing. So not sure what is happening now, but the 24 hour regens have stopped, at least for maybe two 24-hour marks now.

Can you set an alarm for EGT’s? If so, set one for EGT 2 or EGT 3 above 900°. Those are the ones that rise during active regen.

On my ‘18 the ECM was updated and reset my 24 hour clock, and I think I ended up at 30-35 hours between regens that time. Did the warranty work involve an ECM flash?

I'll have to keep an eye on this as well to see if I see the same behavior since I just recently had my PCM replaced (I was one of the 2022 's with the recall) and the flash version is newer than what shipped with mine per the tech that did the work.

Commissionermb

Reaction score
Anyone know if the missing DPF sensor has anything to do with the error that says DPF filter full see dealer? I have a 2022 RAM with 5200 miles and when it goes into regen within a few seconds it says DPF full power reduced see dealer. I went to the dealer and they did a stationary regen I then went on the highway and after 15 miles it went into regen again this time for a longer period but then came back with the same message. I also watched as my DPF gauge went from 0 to 100% within 40 miles. I did check my truck and I am missing the sensor. From my understanding the Dodge/Ram company was able to get by the EPA without the sensor but had to program the engine to do regens every 24 hours (don't know if that is true). After a few more miles my DPF sensor now shows 75% full. These exhaust systems are garbage!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Anyone know if the missing DPF sensor has anything to do with the error that says DPF filter full see dealer? I have a 2022 RAM with 5200 miles and when it goes into regen within a few seconds it says DPF full power reduced see dealer. I went to the dealer and they did a stationary regen I then went on the highway and after 15 miles it went into regen again this time for a longer period but then came back with the same message. I also watched as my DPF gauge went from 0 to 100% within 40 miles. I did check my truck and I am missing the sensor. From my understanding the Dodge/Ram company was able to get by the EPA without the sensor but had to program the engine to do regens every 24 hours (don't know if that is true). After a few more miles my DPF sensor now shows 75% full. These exhaust systems are garbage!
No the missing sensor only controls the DEF usage. All the 19+ use the 24hr schedule and soot levels for regens. For The missing sensor all they did was up the DEF usage. Your issues are not related to the sensor you should never be 100% full unless there is an issue with the truck and the DPF is not the issue it is only a symptom from an underlaying issue

Commissionermb

Reaction score
No the missing sensor only controls the DEF usage. All the 19+ use the 24hr schedule and soot levels for regens. For The missing sensor all they did was up the DEF usage. Your issues are not related to the sensor you should never be 100% full unless there is an issue with the truck and the DPF is not the issue it is only a symptom from an underlaying issue
Ok thanks for the information wasn't sure how all of that worked hopefully the dealer can fix my issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Don't know if it was mentioned up thread and/or you saw it, but check for intake/boost leaks. IIRC one member had some bodywork done and they put a screw through his intercooler.

Commissionermb

Reaction score
Don't know if it was mentioned up thread and/or you saw it, but check for intake/boost leaks. IIRC one member had some bodywork done and they put a screw through his intercooler.
Dang, I just had some body work done myself from a car backing into me in the front headlight/fender area, I will check that thanks for the info!

Blythkd1

Reaction score
So you think if I go have that NOX sensor installed I'll start using less DEF? I just cringe to take it in to have anything done for fear something else will be worse off after I get it back.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So you think if I go have that NOX sensor installed I'll start using less DEF? I just cringe to take it in to have anything done for fear something else will be worse off after I get it back.

As a C&C you should have already received notice to get the sensor installed.

No, I don’t think you’ll use less DEF. Lots of internet claims to upping the DEF dosage on the ‘22’s to compensate for the missing sensor, but the reported DEF milage of the ‘22’s is inline with the 19-21’s…

Also it’s a particular matter sensor, so I’m not sure what that has to do with DEF anyways. The FCA notice does mention DEF, but I’m not inclined to believe everything in a FCA bulletin. It makes more sense, based on its name and location, that it has something to do with the DPF.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I received the notice, I'm just hesitant to take it in.

I thought it was NOX sensor. You're saying it's a pressure differential sensor?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I received the notice, I'm just hesitant to take it in.

I thought it was NOX sensor. You're saying it's a pressure differential sensor?

It’s a particular matter sensor.

Not much is known about it thou.

While your 6.7L Heavy Duty Ram truck retains all of its performance capabilities, it does not contain a small but important sensor that monitors the engine’s exhaust particulate filter.
This temporary condition does not pose any risk to vehicle safety. Further, the vehicle’s pollution-control technology remains active.

Last edited:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Yeah you're right, PM sensor, not NOX sensor. The notice from FCA actually says I will get a PM sensor and module.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
From a couple reports i have seen the C&C that had it done did use slightly less DEF thats about all i know about it as i have not checked in to it since i have a 19

Users who are viewing this thread