Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

TW720HVY

Reaction score
The truck has about a 1,000 miles on it, I waited until it turned 500 miles before hooking a trailer to it.

Yesterday I was going through the gauge options and noticed the "Diesel Particulate Filter" was reading 0. So I drove with the gauge on both empty and pulling a goose neck horse trailer, it never moved off 0.

I had an Edge display on my old 2011 F-350 and was able to view that data on it, and I do know that when you're driving highway speeds and pulling a trailer the value is consistently low when comparing it to the readings of city driving. Nonetheless, there was always a value.

Also, since getting the truck I've never seen it go into "regen", is this something the driver will see?

Is it possible the gauge or system isn't reading the particulates?

John Jensen

Reaction score
My gauge has never come off zero. It does say a regen in progress when it happens.
I monitor with an Edge CTS3 for % soot and regen on or off.

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply back.

So does your Edge show a value for % of soot while the truck's gauge shows 0?

I am wondering if the % of soot is different than the "Diesel Particulate Filter" value?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply back.

So does your Edge show a value for % of soot while the truck's gauge shows 0?

I am wondering if the % of soot is different than the "Diesel Particulate Filter" value?
Yes, the Edge originally regened when it got to 100%, after the last update the last regen started at 80% which is the factory trigger point.

I don't know what the EVIC gauge uses to calculate. There's so may opinions. Several who track hours say the 2019+ 6.7s, regardless of soot level, will regen every 24-25 hours. I believe that to be true.
I just had a regen at 100% soot and 173 hours. I'm thinking 100% and 24 hours are synonymous, just different trigger names. No one has found the answers as far as I know.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I swear I've seen it otherwise, but all seem to agree you have to be on the DPF display to see any active regen message.

I have seen my gauge move, but it's possible different ECM firmware does different things.

You should be able to see those with the OBDLink app if you have it as part of your AlfaOBD kit. You can also add the Cummins custom PID's into the Torque app used with any OBDII reader.

dslbrnr

Reaction score
My prior 2500 started showing DPF percentage after around 11,000 miles but never moved from zero before that. When mine regens I can hear the engine sound change, more engine rattle and the DPF gauge showing regen. I also notice a regen every 24 hours of run time.
My 2021 HO has 9,000 miles and the gauge hasn't moved off zero

TW720HVY

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback guys, I will keep an eye on it see what happens. Glad to know the gauge reading 0 is a normal thing.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Before I deleted, my gauge was always at 0 except for one time where it barely had a line to see and then it regen'd with the message popping up while the gauge was open and 25 hours of operating hit. All above info correct. But if your feeling a little mischievous, you can join us on the dark side and it will never move off of zero and your def gauge will always show full ;)

resoverlord

Reaction score
Be glad yours shows 0. Mine does not, and leads to this:

Reaction score
I recall reading in one of these threads that one of the SCR sensors are missing from the DPF (which the EPA is allowing under a promissory recall from FCA) as another supplier shortage, and you might have one of those trucks. If the sensor is missing, the DPF reading will be zero, and the ECM is programmed to regenerate more often than if you have the sensor to prevent soot emissions. You can find out if the sensor is missing by crawling under your rig and looking for the sensor port which is blocked with a plug and a wire harness nearby that is not connected to anything. FCA is supposed to be updating the ECM and installing the sensor sometime this year via recall notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
I recall reading in one of these threads that one of the SCR sensors are missing from the DPF (which the EPA is allowing under a promissory recall from FCA) as another supplier shortage, and you might have one of those trucks. If the sensor is missing, the DPF reading will be zero, and the ECM is programmed to regenerate more often than if you have the sensor to prevent soot emissions. You can find out if the sensor is missing by crawling under your rig and looking for the sensor port which is blocked with a plug and a wire harness nearby that is not connected to anything. FCA is supposed to be updating the ECM and installing the sensor sometime this year via recall notice.

You make a good point, however my 2020 was built before the sensor shortages and has all of its sensors. And its gauge has never risen from zero

TW720HVY

Reaction score

Thank you for this additional information, I will take a look under the truck. I am assuming this port, plug and wire harness is fairly easy to spot?

Lumpskie

Reaction score
My gauge almost always reads 0... but not all the time. I caught it with a reading of about 10% in January, 1 time. Just after that, it completed a regen. The weather was really cold and I had done a few very short runs in a row. After that, I haven't seen anything on the gauge again. I kind of wish I took a picture, just to prove that it actually registered.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Mine has never moved off of zero. I’m only at 4K miles but I have burned Pittsburgh Power Max Mileage the entire time. To my knowledge the truck has never re-gen‘ed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

No the SCR sensor is only for DEF it has nothing to do with the DPF

Users who are viewing this thread