Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
From a couple reports i have seen the C&C that had it done did use slightly less DEF thats about all i know about it as i have not checked in to it since i have a 19
The sensor that is missing is the Particulate matter sensor. It has absolutely nothing to do with DEF consumption. Its sole purpose is to monitor the exhaust stream and “count” the particles of soot exiting the emissions equipment. It’s able to collect and measure the amount of soot over a set period of time and then compare that amount against pre-programmed parameters to see if the soot is being adequately captured and neutralized in the DPF. If the measured amount exceeds the preprogrammed threshold, it will trigger a DTC to indicate that the DPF has been compromised (failed internally or cracked) and is allowing too much soot to exit into the atmosphere. It’s basically just a gatekeeper to ensure that the truck isn’t allowing soot into the environment beyond a minuscule acceptable amount. 2019+ Cummins trucks have this sensor with the exception of 2022’s due to the fact they weren’t available when 2022 production started. Ram is forced to issue a voluntary recall and install them on all 2022 trucks as they become more available. They already started doing this for the cab and chassis trucks, just haven’t gotten to the pickups yet.

Last edited:

1bad442

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum. I have a 2022 3500 with a 6.7HO. It has 18,000 miles. I've made several cross country trips already, and I'm heading from New England to Florida on Thursday. I was toggling through my screens such as oil life, fuel filter life, etc. and got to Diesel Particulate Filter. It reads very low but does not show a percentage. It's in quarterly increments, but it reads the equivalent of 1/8th full.

My question is, am I safe to go on this 3,000 mile round trip? I've never really even noticed this gauge but seeing that level alarmed me some. Lots of people here seem to be on zero constantly with no issues. Just looking for some reassurance on this. Many thanks in advance.

Steve

techman

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum. I have a 2022 3500 with a 6.7HO. It has 18,000 miles. I've made several cross country trips already, and I'm heading from New England to Florida on Thursday. I was toggling through my screens such as oil life, fuel filter life, etc. and got to Diesel Particulate Filter. It reads very low but does not show a percentage. It's in quarterly increments, but it reads the equivalent of 1/8th full.

My question is, am I safe to go on this 3,000 mile round trip? I've never really even noticed this gauge but seeing that level alarmed me some. Lots of people here seem to be on zero constantly with no issues. Just looking for some reassurance on this. Many thanks in advance.

Steve

You are good to go. Don't worry about the gauge, go back to ignoring it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

Steve

The gauge will either show zero or some amount and then a Regen will drop it back to zero.

Nothing to be concerned about, particularly since you only just found it. :)

The only time you'd ever see an active Regen is if you're on that screen or you stop/park during an active regen and the EVIC (dash cluster) will tell you it's running.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Highest mine has gotten
That level would be getting close to a soot load commanded active regeneration. They usually trigger at about 50% on that gauge. I’d everything is working right, and you’re using the truck appropriately, 50% is about as high as it should ever go. It can go higher but you have to be doing some things incorrectly to get it there.

mruysch

Reaction score
That level would be getting close to a soot load commanded active regeneration. They usually trigger at about 50% on that gauge. I’d everything is working right, and you’re using the truck appropriately, 50% is about as high as it should ever go. It can go higher but you have to be doing some things incorrectly to get it there.
Usually gose into regen shortly after. Usually ½ mile from home

bhunt

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems after getting the Y43 recall done

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
Mines in today. Also for the grid relay and starter cable bolt RSU

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems after getting the Y43 recall done

About 100 miles on mine so far, mostly highway miles. No issues, aside from the dealership monkeys routing the wiring wrong and having to take it back.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
How did you know?

It was obvious enough that Ray Charles could have seen the problem. They didn’t use a single stand-off and left the new wiring resting on the SCR. Take a peek at yours before you drive away, I’m not the first one with improper routing of the wires, even thou the correct routing is painfully obvious.

IMG_7084.jpegIMG_7082.jpeg

Blythkd1

Reaction score
About 100 miles on mine so far, mostly highway miles. No issues, aside from the dealership monkeys routing the wiring wrong and having to take it back.
Please let us know if you notice any negative impacts. I'm paranoid to take mine in. I figure there's no way they're going to fix something without screwing up 2 more

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Please let us know if you notice any negative impacts. I'm paranoid to take mine in. I figure there's no way they're going to fix something without screwing up 2 more

I can’t imagine there are any issues, install aside, since many more trucks came with the sensor than came without since 2019.

I’ll be putting some miles on the truck this month and will report back.

Going to fill my DEF tank today, but I don’t really think this has anything to do with DEF consumption.

Riddick

Reaction score
It was obvious enough that Ray Charles could have seen the problem. They didn’t use a single stand-off and left the new wiring resting on the SCR. Take a peek at yours before you drive away, I’m not the first one with improper routing of the wires, even thou the correct routing is painfully obvious.
That's pretty bad, my local dealer removed my exhaust to install mine. Not the most efficient way but at least my wires were routed correctly. Everyone should definitely check their truck before driving off the lot.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 61789View attachment 61790

So they routed it the wrong way around the hanger and were to F8 lazy to do it right.

SMH. JFC, WTFIWWSP? LOL

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So they routed it the wrong way around the hanger and were to F8 lazy to do it right.

SMH. JFC, WTFIWWSP? LOL

Around the hanger and zero stand offs, plus they routed it under the other module.

Took them two tries to fix it too, it was ridiculous.

I mentioned to the service manager that maybe the techs should look at a ‘23 on the lot for routing since the obvious way to route it was too difficult for his techs to see.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Around the hanger and zero stand offs, plus they routed it under the other module.

Took them two tries to fix it too, it was ridiculous.

I mentioned to the service manager that maybe the techs should look at a ‘23 on the lot for routing since the obvious way to route it was too difficult for his techs to see.

I guess my point was, the tech probably had an oh sh*t moment when he couldn't put the cable into the standoff because it was on the wrong side of the hanger and just said F* it.

Users who are viewing this thread