Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

mountainears

Reaction score
Wonder when recall notices will go out for 22’s to get them installed….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use the tapatalk? I use a iPad with safari and always see sigs.
I used Tapatalk when I first started but at some point last year around October it got really “glitchy” and didn’t want to work right with this forum. I started getting notifications way late, or sometimes not at all, and I had a period where I got inundated with repeat old email notifications from posts that had been made prior. Just got frustrated with it and I ended up just using safari web browser and then creating a favorite with my log in information saved. Loading pictures was also a hassle. It just seemed like overall it made this more complicated than it need be because it was like the “middleman”

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use the tapatalk? I use a iPad with safari and always see sigs.
I’ve never been a fan of tapatalk.

On a phone sigs only show in landscape with normal browsers.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
I read through the comments for this post and here’s what my 22 3500 does. At around 45 percent it’s going to regen and that can happen every 5 days or less if you drive it easy then it could be 3 days. Truck has 6,500 miles and has always done this. Guess maybe I should look and see if all the sensors are intact or not.
I’ll add that I use a keg of DEF every 6 weeks

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I read through the comments for this post and here’s what my 22 3500 does. At around 45 percent it’s going to regen and that can happen every 5 days or less if you drive it easy then it could be 3 days. Truck has 6,500 miles and has always done this. Guess maybe I should look and see if all the sensors are intact or not.
I’ll add that I use a keg of DEF every 6 weeks

Need more info than just days or weeks.

Miles? Hours? Driving conditions?

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
Need more info than just days or weeks.

Miles? Hours? Driving conditions?
I drive the truck 40 miles a day. If I run up the highway at 60mph + it’s 5 days. If I cut through the country on the back roads running 45 to 50mph it’s around 3 days. If I’m running with a loaded stock trailer or the camper around 70 mph the dpf gauge stays around 0 and cuts the regen to around 10 days.
I haven’t asked a dealer about it but did talk to the diesel mechanic that deletes most everyone’s trucks in the area and he’s says what mine is doing is common with other 22’s he’s dealt with.

Now my buddies 20 regens almost daily, he runs the dog outta it but he idles a lot so that’s probably why his is so frequent. I may idle mine 10 minutes on a cold morning but that’s about it.
The diesel mechanic told me not to let the truck set there and idle for prolonged periods because the trucks can’t take it.

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I drive the truck 40 miles a day. If I run up the highway at 60mph + it’s 5 days. If I cut through the country on the back roads running 45 to 50mph it’s around 3 days. If I’m running with a loaded stock trailer or the camper around 70 mph the dpf gauge stays around 0 and cuts the regen to around 10 days.
I haven’t asked a dealer about it but did talk to the diesel mechanic that deletes most everyone’s trucks in the area and he’s says what mine is doing is common with other 22’s he’s dealt with.

Now my buddies 20 regens almost daily, he runs the dog outta it but he idles a lot so that’s probably why his is so frequent. I may idle mine 10 minutes on a cold morning but that’s about it.
The diesel mechanic told me not to let the truck set there and idle for prolonged periods because the trucks can’t take it.

How many engine hours between regens? Days doesn’t mean anything.

All of your comments on driving style are similar to mine. You should have no issues going 24 hours between regens.

120 miles between regens can be ok if you’re driving SLOW, but back roads shouldn’t cause this.

Your mechanic is correct about idling. Cummins has always considered anything above 10 minutes per hour (16.6%) excessive for the engine, and the emissions system is at least as disliking of idle time.

Last edited:

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
How many engine hours between regens? Days doent mean anything.
Well if I drive 20 miles one way up the hwy that’s 19 minutes x 2, 38 minutes a day x 5 days isn’t but 3. something hours between regens. Sound excessive doesn’t it.. now if I go the back roads to the same location that adds 4 miles extra so that’s 24 miles but I’m running only around 50 mph and it will regen quicker and a good estimated guess on hours is 2 since it’s gonna happen in 3 days instead of 5 days. You can smell it before it regens every time. It’s like clockwork

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well if I drive 20 miles one way up the hwy that’s 19 minutes x 2, 38 minutes a day x 5 days isn’t but 3. something hours between regens. Sound excessive doesn’t it.. now if I go the back roads to the same location that adds 4 miles extra so that’s 24 miles but I’m running only around 50 mph and it will regen quicker and a good estimated guess on hours is 2 since it’s gonna happen in 3 days instead of 5 days. You can smell it before it regens every time. It’s like clockwork

That is excessive regens. You should be going 24 runtime hours based on what you are saying.

Smelling it before regen is also odd, there should be no change in smell prior to a regen, just during it.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
That is excessive regens. You should be going 24 runtime hours based on what you are saying.

Smelling it before regen is also odd, there should be no change in smell prior to a regen, just during it.
The guy I talk to says that’s the same story he gets from others with 5th gens. I seen some of the reply’s say their dpf gauge gets 80% before it regens, mines never gotten over 45% and from what I researched that’s correct. I do think it’s excessive but compared to my buddies 20 it’s not. My nephews 17 use to do about the same but be corrected that problem so his gauge always reads 0 and his Def consumption is very minimal.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
Here’s an older thread to look over.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The guy I talk to says that’s the same story he gets from others with 5th gens. I seen some of the reply’s say their dpf gauge gets 80% before it regens, mines never gotten over 45% and from what I researched that’s correct. I do think it’s excessive but compared to my buddies 20 it’s not. My nephews 17 use to do about the same but be corrected that problem so his gauge always reads 0 and his Def consumption is very minimal.

The DPF going to 80% means that normal active regens aren't able to compete.

There are no HD 5th gens yet, these are still 4th gen but commonly called 4.5 gen for 19+.

I wouldn't compare it to another excessice truck, simply compare it to what it should be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread