Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel Particulate Filter Gauge , Is It Working

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Do you guys think some of the different def consumptions and /or regens are due to the reprogramming?
I have that suspicion, but not much more than that. I started having frequent regens and increased DEF consumption right after the recall work was done. My dealership tech did an evaluation and found an air leak in the intake system to which they applied a temporary fix while waiting for parts. It has definitely helped with the issues so it might just be coincidental to the recall work.

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
I don't notice any difference in DEF usage, always figured it was tied to a different algorithm. What I've noticed with the DPF sensor is now the regens make sense when they're happening (gauge goes up around town, not so much highway and even down to zero when towing heavy). Before it seemed more random and definitely longer....now they're almost half the duration. As far a mpg, definitely not worse maybe better. Problem is we all use our RAMs differently, most of this discussion will always be subjective.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Truck completed a regen cycle this afternoon. Only 250 miles since the last one this time. 14 miles later, my DPF gauge is reading 25% soot load already…..14 miles.

And “they” wonder why people are hell-bent on getting rid of this stuff….

Regen completed @ 36,070IMG_3910.jpeg
At 36,084 it looked like this:
IMG_3912.jpeg

Jnrcarson

Reaction score
I’ve never seen my DPF filter gauge come off of zero. Don’t monitor my DEF usage very well but hasn’t seemed extreme to me. Truck is a 22 with 8300 miles. Mostly towing. Oddest thing is that I have about 200 driving hours and almost 50 idle hours when it’s not a commuter truck and most of the miles are towing miles. At least 75%. And I don’t idle my truck very much. Faulty gauge ???

sludge

Reaction score
I’ve never seen my DPF filter gauge come off of zero. Don’t monitor my DEF usage very well but hasn’t seemed extreme to me. Truck is a 22 with 8300 miles. Mostly towing. Oddest thing is that I have about 200 driving hours and almost 50 idle hours when it’s not a commuter truck and most of the miles are towing miles. At least 75%. And I don’t idle my truck very much. Faulty gauge ???
I have a 2022 5500 with almost 20,000 miles on it. I also have never seen the gauge come off of zero.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I'm at 52k miles and never seen mine off zero either. Mine only regens at 24 hours. Not much idle time and last I checked my avg was over 50mph for all engine hours.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Truck completed a regen cycle this afternoon. Only 250 miles since the last one this time. 14 miles later, my DPF gauge is reading 25% soot load already…..14 miles.

And “they” wonder why people are hell-bent on getting rid of this stuff….

Regen completed @ 36,070View attachment 63468
At 36,084 it looked like this:
View attachment 63467
Exactly what mine has been doing. The tech at my dealership, who's also a friend, was giving me grief the other day and said "I told you not to do the recall" I said if I didn't live in California I wouldn't have! Doing the "D" is high on my list when I skedaddle from this once-wonderful state.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly what mine has been doing. The tech at my dealership, who's also a friend, was giving me grief the other day and said "I told you not to do the recall" I said if I didn't live in California I wouldn't have! Doing the "D" is high on my list when I skedaddle from this once-wonderful state.
I have not had Y43 completed yet.

Or are you referring to a different recall?

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I have not had Y43 completed yet.

Or are you referring to a different recall?
No, that's the one. It's looking more and more like there's other issues. I recall that you brought your truck in for an evaluation just before your factory warranty expired but I don't remember what the results were. Can you refresh my memory?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
No, that's the one. It's looking more and more like there's other issues. I recall that you brought your truck in for an evaluation just before your factory warranty expired but I don't remember what the results were. Can you refresh my memory?
Yeah I have zero confidence the Y43 recall will fix any of these regen frequency issues. That’s simply not what the PM sensor does. I have not had my truck inspected or checked for this issue yet. I’m scheduled to go in on the 16th. My factory 3/36 warranty expired yesterday

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Yeah I have zero confidence the Y43 recall will fix any of these regen frequency issues. That’s simply not what the PM sensor does. I have not had my truck inspected or checked for this issue yet. I’m scheduled to go in on the 16th. My factory 3/36 warranty expired yesterday
Well, as I've stated previously, I'll let you know as soon as possible if my guys fix my truck. Dammit, we shouldn't have to be dealing with any of this crap!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, as I've stated previously, I'll let you know as soon as possible if my guys fix my truck. Dammit, we shouldn't have to be dealing with any of this crap!
Looking forward to hearing a positive report!
And I agree.

The powers that be want us to leave these trucks alone, and I am fine with doing that. But they need to be reliable. So far, this thing has not demonstrated any sign it will be reliable long term

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that makes sense. I did not know that.
I have to thank you and Barber for educating me as I was misinformed by a so called expert. I stand corrected. I was also told all regeneration and soot sensors were at the DPF, had no idea there was one at the SCR to measure any soot the DPF missed. I feel like a jerk for being so wrong. Learn something new every day. I apologize.
Nothing to apologize for John. We’re all here to learn. I too once thought the PM sensor was used to adjust DEF dosing, and was given that information by an expert who should have known better. I had to do a lot of reading and digging on my own to find out that’s not how it works. I guess there is still a lot of falsehoods circulating around about what that sensor actually does. The real sad part is that it won’t help with the regen frequency issue many of us are experiencing.

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
You can consider my report POSITIVE....It now seems to regen when I expect it to, less often, and definitely never when towing my 10000 pound camper with motorcycles in the bed (yeah, I'm not a heavy user for an HO duallybut what a dream to tow and best cruise control ever....6th gear all the way). Also the regen is around 25 minutes, not 45. Do I think my mpg has increased? I do but IMO it's totally subjective as one can never perfectly duplicate a tank of fuel (speed, load, terrain, temperature, etc). Towing my camper 8 hours on a round trip I've taken often I went from 'around' 11 to 'around' 12. Does anyone know if our trucks use fuel to regen?

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Nothing to apologize for John. We’re all here to learn. I too once thought the PM sensor was used to adjust DEF dosing, and was given that information by an expert who should have known better. I had to do a lot of reading and digging on my own to find out that’s not how it works. I guess there is still a lot of falsehoods circulating around about what that sensor actually does. The real sad part is that it won’t help with the regen frequency issue many of us are experiencing.
While the sensor is just that, a sensor, there is also a reflash that goes along with the Y43 recall and there's no telling what they have intentionally or unintentionally done with the programming.

Ktm2smoker

Reaction score
The reflash had to happen. Without the sensor the programming that was previously in place to make regen decisions based on the sensor I put had to be changed. This was probably accomplished by calling a different subroutine that used a decision algorithm based on who knows what, but not sensor input obviously.

An easy algorithm example would be just do it every so many idle/run hours, like maybe an idle hour counted as 3 run hours, who knows. Or monitor driving habits in some other way. What I would consider a must is they would have to error to over-regening than take a chance of allowing the DPF to clog. They would also most likely have to prove to the EPA that they were playing it safe and not putting their precious global warming agenda at risk.

Woah, did I just get cynical?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
While the sensor is just that, a sensor, there is also a reflash that goes along with the Y43 recall and there's no telling what they have intentionally or unintentionally done with the programming.
This is true.
However I know of several trucks that have regen frequency issues, all of which received the Y43 recall, PM sensor, and the associated software flash. None of them have had any appreciable change or improvement post-recall.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You can consider my report POSITIVE....It now seems to regen when I expect it to, less often, and definitely never when towing my 10000 pound camper with motorcycles in the bed (yeah, I'm not a heavy user for an HO duallybut what a dream to tow and best cruise control ever....6th gear all the way). Also the regen is around 25 minutes, not 45. Do I think my mpg has increased? I do but IMO it's totally subjective as one can never perfectly duplicate a tank of fuel (speed, load, terrain, temperature, etc). Towing my camper 8 hours on a round trip I've taken often I went from 'around' 11 to 'around' 12. Does anyone know if our trucks use fuel to regen?

Yes, extra fuel is injected to create temps needed to burn off the soot (regen).

That's also why if you're having excess regens you need to keep an eye on the oil level. If you're making oil, you're diluting it with fuel and the movy slidy rotaty parts don't like that so much.

Users who are viewing this thread