Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Changes - additives discussion

Which additive do you use? (those mixing select all that apply)

• Total voters

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
It doesn't mean EDT lacks in lubrification qualities! After all, the video linked above showed that EDT had the best lubrification properties of all products tested. If you feel like you need to add LX4 to EDT, what does it say about the other products?!
If they say EDT has enough LX4 to bring the worse diesel to within good specs, it must be enough.
That's correct, edt is a good product that reduces the wear scar rating, wich is a good thing. The base rate for a wear scar rating should be measured at or below 460 microns. The cp4 as it is only allows a 520 microns wear scar rating. Higher number, worse conditions. So it won't take much to get below average specs. The premium lx4 stand alone product gives an 260 or less wear scar rating, wich is way more better than good. Here is a link with all the info, take into acct that this is from hot shot , so it's an ad but info seams pretty accurate.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
That's a disappointing answer to EDT lubricity. That means to get the benefits of EDT and better lubricity one has to use both EDT and LX4. That gets expensive. I wonder what " within specs" means?
They say you can do both safely, but it's not necessary at all. That can get expensive. I mean if you want to do everything extreme, you can do it and it will last a long time but when I'm done with the edt I'm switching over to the stand alone lx4 product for maximum lubricity and minimum wear scar rating. I went with the edt this time because the auto parts stores don't carry the lx4 by the gallon and I wanted the little measuring container, those work well I think.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
It doesn't mean EDT lacks in lubrification qualities! After all, the video linked above showed that EDT had the best lubrification properties of all products tested. If you feel like you need to add LX4 to EDT, what does it say about the other products?!
If they say EDT has enough LX4 to bring the worse diesel to within good specs, it must be enough.
they did say the edt would drop wear scar rating below 460 microns but would not specify how low. I suspect because if they say how low or good it is and it's close to the stand alone lx4 than there would be no reason for people to buy the lx4 by itself. Marketing.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I pre-bottle all my wonder whiz to accommodate different fills. You can order plastic qt jugs on Amazon for a few bucks. I set them up for 40, 30, and 20 gals (no I don't want to use two 20's). I also got a nice little compact funnel with screw on caps on both ends from Murdoch's.

ETA: This funnel though it was about half the price at Murdoch's (Ranch store)

It stays put and doesn't move a smidge when jammed into the filler neck.

1600211720501.png

John Jensen

Reaction score
I agree with you. I don't need to add LX4 to the current EDT product. I was only pointing out that from what Hot Shot's told Rich, that to get the "increased lubricity" when using EDP one would also have to use or add LX4.

I didn't read where they said, "EDT has enough LX4 to bring the worse diesel to within good specs". I read, "it would get the wear scar rating down to within specs". They did not describe "specs" nor did they mention fuel quality.

When I asked Hot Shot's about adding LX4 to my existing gallon bottles of older EDP (no XL4) I got three different answers on three different phone calls. Not sure the phone contacts are that reliable, thus my suspicions of their answers to Rich as well.

Don't get me wrong. I am a Hot Shot's fan and use their products on all my vehicles. The tests and data support their value.
Opti-Lube likewise is a great product. I used to sell Opti-Lube and never had a complaint, only repeat customers. It is pricey but it is as advertised.

carlrx7

Reaction score
Found my hot shot edt in the 16oz measuring bottle at oreileys today for the internet price. I did want to order the lx4 by the gallon and eventually switch to that but I wanted the measuring bottle for easy measure and fill first and then ill just refill it as I go. Hot shot did get back with me on the amount of lx4 ingredient in the edt. They would not give me a %% ouf increased lubricity like the 56% for the stand alone lx4, but said it would get the wear scar rating down to within specs but would not lubricate as well as the stand alone lx4. Wich is all what I figured, just wanted to hear it from the horses mouth. So this will last for 8 tank fills before I need to by the gallon lx4 refill. View attachment 7171sorry brutal, i should of put this in the additive discussion portion, maybe you can move it for us, thanks

Refilling the bottle is fun, since it doesn't have a fill cap, i've done it once. I'm using a old stabil 360 container now.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Refilling the bottle is fun, since it doesn't have a fill cap, i've done it once. I'm using a old stabil 360 container now.
The price I've got to pay for saving $20 buy getting it by the gallon, ill probably spill the $20 worth I saved :mad:

MikeXM

Reaction score
I'm using a large syringe with tubing from amazon to transfer from the gallon jug. It just works great. No mess.

I use two "capless compatible bottles" to hold the additive until fill-up's.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm using a large syringe with tubing from amazon to transfer from the gallon jug. It just works great. No mess.

I use two "capless compatible bottles" to hold the additive until fill-up's.
Tyvm , great idea to reduce mess.
I agree with you. I don't need to add LX4 to the current EDT product. I was only pointing out that from what Hot Shot's told Rich, that to get the "increased lubricity" when using EDP one would also have to use or add LX4.

I didn't read where they said, "EDT has enough LX4 to bring the worse diesel to within good specs". I read, "it would get the wear scar rating down to within specs". They did not describe "specs" nor did they mention fuel quality.

When I asked Hot Shot's about adding LX4 to my existing gallon bottles of older EDP (no XL4) I got three different answers on three different phone calls. Not sure the phone contacts are that reliable, thus my suspicions of their answers to Rich as well.

Don't get me wrong. I am a Hot Shot's fan and use their products on all my vehicles. The tests and data support their value.
Opti-Lube likewise is a great product. I used to sell Opti-Lube and never had a complaint, only repeat customers. It is pricey but it is as advertised.
Hey John, i hope this helps you a bit more. In post #41 , i posted the data sheet for the standalone lx4 wich will give an approximate wear scar rating of around 250-260, world class for sure. Here is the data sheet for the edt w/lx4 additive. It gives a wear scar rating of below 460 microns. So a definant improvement over nothing at all with the cp4 wear worse than standard specs to help it last and treat the over all whole system including regen wich is a very good thing but not the wear scar that lx4 alone will reduce to. Thers a definable advantage in both for sure, just not necessary.

Attachments

• HSS-EDT-TDS-2020.pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 21

John Jensen

Reaction score
Tyvm , great idea to reduce mess.

Hey John, i hope this helps you a bit more. In post #41 , i posted the data sheet for the standalone lx4 wich will give an approximate wear scar rating of around 250-260, world class for sure. Here is the data sheet for the edt w/lx4 additive. It gives a wear scar rating of below 460 microns. So a definant improvement over nothing at all with the cp4 wear worse than standard specs to help it last and treat the over all whole system including regen wich is a very good thing but not the wear scar that lx4 alone will reduce to. Thers a definable advantage in both for sure, just not necessary.
Thanks Rich. Yes, I read all the data on this thread at least two times. Great information, an eye-opener for sure.

When you go to using just the LX4 will you then use HS Extreme every 6 mos to keep the system clean? Or?

If I understood the data correctly, EDT is better at wear scar than what they told you. If so I will continue with EDT for its very good lubricity, system cleaning, and the added cetane.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rich. Yes, I read all the data on this thread at least two times. Great information, an eye-opener for sure.

When you go to using just the LX4 will you then use HS Extreme every 6 mos to keep the system clean? Or?

If I understood the data correctly, EDT is better at wear scar than what they told you. If so I will continue with EDT for its very good lubricity, system cleaning, and the added cetane.
I do like the reduced regens and better fuel economy, but we'll see. I just told my wife that this 16oz bottle will last 8 full tank fills, and if I do see a difference in those things that they talk about than i might stick with it but I'll have too see then to make a decision on doing both products together. I'm definitly going to the straight lx4 100% for sure.I'm not going to worry about any other products just those two.Screenshot_20200915-201402.pngif it does all this stuff as advertised, then ill stick with the edt as well as the full strength lx4

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Increases power by up to 12.5%! Woo hoo. Take my 850tq to 956.25 with just a couple ounces!

I really wish they wouldn't publish crap like that. Here I am almost convinced this is what I need and then out comes the PT Barnum stuff that makes me pull back.

I'll still use EDT or LX4 (haven't decided yet), but I wish they wouldn't kill their credibility with hokey marketing garbage like the power statement. Its so blanket. Not restore, not revitalize a sooted engine, straight up increase power by "up to" 12.5% :rolleyes:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Increases power by up to 12.5%! Woo hoo. Take my 850tq to 956.25 with just a couple ounces!

I really wish they wouldn't publish crap like that. Here I am almost convinced this is what I need and then out comes the PT Barnum stuff that makes me pull back.

I'll still use EDT or LX4 (haven't decided yet), but I wish they wouldn't kill their credibility with hokey marketing garbage like the power statement. Its so blanket. Not restore, not revitalize a sooted engine, straight up increase power by "up to" 12.5% :rolleyes:
Yeah i know and fuel mileage by 7.3% and reduce regens by 50%. I've got a case study they showed a f550 6.7 saved $1400.00 a yr by using this product. No dought in my mind it's one of the best out there and I'm sue the benefits are great but come on.
Screenshot_20200916-161626.pngmarketing, gotta love it

John Jensen

Reaction score
Hard to believe a fuel additive can reduce regens by 50% if at all. The only theory I can think of is the additive causes the fuel to burn so clean that there's less soot. In this case 50% less soot.

Are there any other ways an additive can reduce soot?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If the additive has a cetane boost, it's possible there's some small additional power and less soot.

XPD claims +3 points
EDT claims +7 points

Pump ULSD #2 is supposed to be 43 avg cetane

D

Deleted member 80

From what I have read, cetane is primarily effective at cold start/cold operation. Once the engine is warm very little, if any, difference.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe a fuel additive can reduce regens by 50% if at all. The only theory I can think of is the additive causes the fuel to burn so clean that there's less soot. In this case 50% less soot.

Are there any other ways an additive can reduce soot?
Here's the whole link in Which I referenced the info from. Read at your own boredom

Attachments

• LSI-08Freightliner_6.7L.pdf
    767.6 KB · Views: 14

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
50%! If that was the case the EPA would **** and mandate it's use industry wide, no doubt.

I think I'll stick with LX4. I really didn't want to run any of this goofy stuff but if it's one thing I can glean from all this is that Diesel fuel quality can't be trusted and since diesels historically use fuel as lube, it's worth it to spike it.

Funny that me putting this crap in probably won't do anything and I'll still lose the pump at 8k and some other guy that never changes filters and buys the cheapest diesel he can find will go to 300k.

MikeXM

Reaction score
The 12.5% power gain is probably documented somewhere in case they are brought to court on this claim. But it must be in a very specific scenario, where everything was badly aligned until they added the fuel additive. In real life, the gain must but low but still there.

I don't think anyone really expect a significant power increase or reduction in fuel or regen cycles. But, a bit of everything and mostly pump savings properties.

At least, that is how I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread