Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 Changes - additives discussion

Which additive do you use? (those mixing select all that apply)

• Total voters

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn’t select the image apparently it was just going to repost. Yeah I’ve had them tested at minimum dose and max dose and xdp came back better. I’ll find the results they are in my email somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, can you clarify something?

You posted "XDP" (and I'm guilty of the same typo when thinking of XPD) but did you really mean XDP (Xtreme Diesel Products), or meant Opti-Lube XPD?

MikeXM

Reaction score
This is my fuel additive kit. I keep the vinyl pouch inside the cab. No odors whatsoever. That pouch stores two ready to use long neck bottles.
I'm finishing my last 16oz bottle of EDT. Will then use the gallon jug of EDT I bough recently.
I'm currently mix a full dose of LX4 with a full dose of EDT. That EDT bottle doesn't have the LX4 logo, so it might be pre-LX4 EDT. So, I'm not taking any chance.
The gallon jug of EDT has the LX4 logo, so I'll cut the LX4 added by half.
It might be overkill, but I feel like I gave the CP4 everything to not fail...

20200926_163713.jpg

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I don't know if there open or not today but I've contacted hot shot to find out what advantage there would be to just gettjng the lubricating lx4 instead of the edt wich does it all, cleans and lubricated and has some lx4 in it. I would assume that there going to say that lx4 alone will increase lubricity by 56%. So what amount of lx4 is in the edt mixture and what is the %% off lubricity in the edt bottle. It obviously does a whole Better job but is it like a multi vitamin where its just a fraction of that big 56% lubricity number. If that makes any sense

My last post went to the other thread, I didn't realize brutal started a new thread for us as I was typing, my bad. I know we frown on reposting on multiple threads so for Convience I have copy and pasted my last post so its on this thread.

[mod edit: no worries, just send a PM or report post if any merge or move is needed. Sorry to move mid-reply]

Found this:

HFRR-Chart_EDT-LX4.jpg

Here: https://www.hotshotsecret.com/what-is-a-hfrr-number-and-why-does-it-matter/

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I am going to dose both at the minimum recommendation. Pretty cost effective way to turn regular or sub-par diesel into "premium" diesel.

Best case scenario, it allows retained factory power, peak mileage and a saved CP4.

Good case scenario it saves the CP4.

Worst case scenario it's affordable false sense of security.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Worst case scenario is the pump fails anyway, the dealer samples the fuel, and claims your wonder whiz contaminated it.

:eek:

Should be an interesting court battle. In some instances it could be said they recommend a treatment too (Power Service), and the evidence that they know of a major design flaw is starting to mount against them (recent pump redesign and numerous early failures).

Lucky for me I have a family friend attorney that likes to squabble. I'm betting if your scenario happens to me it ends in a settlement.

Besides, what are they going to say was in the fuel? Extra cetane? Some non alcohol lubricity agents? I'm betting HSS would be more than willing to provide SDS and tech sheets (that are fairly available even now) to show their product is safe. I'm sure they consulted their legal team before making the guarantee that it won't void warranties.

Again, I think the burden of proof to show that I caused it vs their **** design is on them and they know they don't want that fight, especially if I some how was able to get moulthy about it and get the word out about the litigation to every diesel media source I could. I smell settlement.

I think something is going to happen eventually to finally get them to recall, if not just to the recent cam design once they get enough test dummy miles out of us to see if they fixed it. Maybe not, but there is a lot of smoke here. I know they made a ton of these trucks but a failure to a low mile truck is happening almost daily now between all the forums and groups.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Should be an interesting court battle. In some instances it could be said they recommend a treatment too (Power Service), and the evidence that they know of a major design flaw is starting to mount against them (recent pump redesign and numerous early failures).

Lucky for me I have a family friend attorney that likes to squabble. I'm betting if your scenario happens to me it ends in a settlement.

Besides, what are they going to say was in the fuel? Extra cetane? Some non alcohol lubricity agents? I'm betting HSS would be more than willing to provide SDS and tech sheets (that are fairly available even now) to show their product is safe. I'm sure they consulted their legal team before making the guarantee that it won't void warranties.

Again, I think the burden of proof to show that I caused it vs their **** design is on them and they know they don't want that fight, especially if I some how was able to get moulthy about it and get the word out about the litigation to every diesel media source I could. I smell settlement.

I think something is going to happen eventually to finally get them to recall, if not just to the recent cam design once they get enough test dummy miles out of us to see if they fixed it. Maybe not, but there is a lot of smoke here. I know they made a ton of these trucks but a failure to a low mile truck is happening almost daily now between all the forums and groups.
100% agree, I've got a great lawyer who would love to make a settlement on that deal, especially when hot shot had all there data sheets and money back guarantee and claims on not void ing warranty. I'm sure hot shot inc would also like to get into that law suit. Honestly I'm just hoping that I can prevent a catastrophic failures before they recall the thing.

carlrx7

Reaction score
you running both EDT and LX4 additives?

MikeXM

Reaction score
My EDT bottle doesn't have the LX4 logo so it might be older stock without LX4 added. So, currently I add a full dose of LX4 to the EDT.
Once this bottle is gone, my newer bottle has the LX4 logo so I will then only add half a dose of LX4.

While the EDT (with mfg added LX4) will bring the lubricity well over the USLD standard, it will not bring it to the same level a full dose of LX4 would do.

I may be overprotecting the CP4 when adding half a dose of LX4 to EDT, but it kinda give me peace of mind.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
My EDT bottle doesn't have the LX4 logo so it might be older stock without LX4 added. So, currently I add a full dose of LX4 to the EDT.
Once this bottle is gone, my newer bottle has the LX4 logo so I will then only add half a dose of LX4.

While the EDT (with mfg added LX4) will bring the lubricity well over the USLD standard, it will not bring it to the same level a full dose of LX4 would do.

I may be overprotecting the CP4 when adding half a dose of LX4 to EDT, but it kinda give me peace of mind.

I've been adding a full dose of both. The 1oz EDT though not the "performance dose" :rolleyes: .

Got me thinking though, maybe I should half the LX4 since I'm mixing EDT too.......then again this stuff is pretty cheap grand scheme. I put in about 25 gal for 2 weeks since this truck gets stupid good mileage (DIESEL POWAAAA!) for work week stuff. Add the extra curricular mileage and I'd still get almost a year out of a $60 jug. I want this truck to last forever.

It's funny that people say "they might deny warranty if you dose it", which I get their point but it's ironic because I'm doing RAM a frickin' favor! I'm trying to save you knuckle heads $10k and avoid trouble for me at the same time you donuts! I unlike you, RAM, am not a broke arse bean counter. I can afford to pay for quality stuff. Get your crap together and don't skimp out on MAJOR COMPONENTS! I saw what you did with the garbage tires. Haha, good one. Saved some bucks eh? "Off-Road" lol, you're a cad..... but the INJECTION PUMP TO THE ENGINE?!?!?!? Are you out of your tree? Did you also put in a plastic grocery bag in lieu of airbags to save a little coin too?

/rant

P.S. I did end up getting the big syringe that MikeXM has. Big help.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I am currently untill my edt bottle empties. Then I'll just use straight lx4. Only bought 16oz edt for the measure bottle so when empty i can refill with straight lx4. Used my lx4 for the first time yesterday. When i popped the aluminum foil top I got some on my finger and man o man that stuff is lube, i was blown away just how much a couple drops oiled up my fingers. Im not worried about mixing because it says you can do that and they also told me in email that you can mix lx4 with there other products, I'd rather have to much lubricity than to much friction.
Ps. For all you pervs out there, we are talking about diesel additive. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Last edited:

steve49

Reaction score
I find the fuel additive topic interesting to read, and as a 2019 2500 6.7 owner I use a diesel fuel additive as well. It started with my 2014 EcoDiesel, first diesel ever, and two friends with diesels recommending using an additive. The EcoDiesel's experienced fuel pump failures, I think they were CP3's, but because it was recommended by friends and then reading about the failures, it seemed like maybe a good idea to use the additive. I'm rather optimistic though that adding 3 to 8 ounces of additive to a 32 gallon tank of fuel which equates to over 4,000 ounces, that the additive isn't totally diluted away to nothing, thus having no value at all! But since I ran over 110,000 miles on the EcoDiesel with no fuel pump issues, I'll keep using the additive!

D

Deleted member 80

AFAIK, the EcoD=CP4, as was the ill-fated Nummins 5.0 faux Cummins.

RedRam

Reaction score
This is how I do mine. I use an old STA-BIL bottle and fill it with the pump on the gallon additive jug. The STA-BIL bottle has the small section to measure how much I want to add. The long neck pushes open the check ball, no spillage. The bottle fits nicely in the bottom of the Ram box.
78239856-7FC9-4FF0-9E06-73D0CE8611DF.jpegB69459A3-E9F2-42A8-AC29-246E09CFBA47.jpeg

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I've been adding a full dose of both. The 1oz EDT though not the "performance dose" :rolleyes: .

Got me thinking though, maybe I should half the LX4 since I'm mixing EDT too.......then again this stuff is pretty cheap grand scheme. I put in about 25 gal for 2 weeks since this truck gets stupid good mileage (DIESEL POWAAAA!) for work week stuff. Add the extra curricular mileage and I'd still get almost a year out of a $60 jug. I want this truck to last forever.

It's funny that people say "they might deny warranty if you dose it", which I get their point but it's ironic because I'm doing RAM a frickin' favor! I'm trying to save you knuckle heads $10k and avoid trouble for me at the same time you donuts! I unlike you, RAM, am not a broke arse bean counter. I can afford to pay for quality stuff. Get your crap together and don't skimp out on MAJOR COMPONENTS! I saw what you did with the garbage tires. Haha, good one. Saved some bucks eh? "Off-Road" lol, you're a cad..... but the INJECTION PUMP TO THE ENGINE?!?!?!? Are you out of your tree? Did you also put in a plastic grocery bag in lieu of airbags to save a little coin too?

/rant

P.S. I did end up getting the big syringe that MikeXM has. Big help.
I need that syringe. When I ordered, did I miss it?

Users who are viewing this thread