Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you upgrade to uconnect 5?

JerRam2021

Reaction score
Im new to the Ram world man... I dont know much about what is out there for these trucks. I had a first gen tundra for a while and had to up grade to a 2500 for towing purposes.. well if you go that way let me know. maybe i can pick up your UC5? ‍

Redfour5

Reaction score
Im new to the Ram world man... I dont know much about what is out there for these trucks. I had a first gen tundra for a while and had to up grade to a 2500 for towing purposes.. well if you go that way let me know. maybe i can pick up your UC5? ‍
I personally preferred the earlier UConnects over the five. It is buggy and we use the "map" and "weather" features surprisingly quite a bit as living in the mountains, knowing when the rain is coming in 3 to 5 hours or the rain in the radar map is valuable. It would be nice if it worked in the UC5 %$^&. The earlier iterations of UConnect were much more intuitive and simple imho. I do like the accessories and the screen that allows me to see the guages while towing in some situations and altitude, always within 50 feet of the Continental Divide signs so not bad. I suppose the off road stuff could be nice, but I'm not doing any MOAB stuff so that seems more attuned to jeeps and power wagons than my and most people's needs. So, to me UC5 seems like a bunch of bells and whistles that don't work and will cost me money to fix... My old 2018 Renegade like UC2 or 3 works great along with the 7 inch TFT in front of the drivers seat five years down the road always providing what I need not missing much. Oh, gee, wait, I only have like 12 pre-sets for Sirius on the Renegade...Boo Hoo, I can't find half the pre-sets on UC5 and half of them are still waiting to be set a year later. I'm listening to the same 12 I have pre-set in the Renegade... But, I must admit I do like that all the guages thing on the screen thing. But I guess you only get that if you have either a tow or 4WD package anyway...so those without don't even get that, just a buggy no longer intuitive system and a 12 inch screen that the dog scratches... I went with an 8.4 on the 2500. NOW, if yo have the surround cameras, that could be a valuable aspect but is that even UConnect?

So, I guess my response is be careful, you just might get what you ask for...and then regret it. Oh, a must have imho is the Aux switches. If you are ever going to do anything whatsoever aftermarket, they are a must... The Snow Chief package is worth its weight in gold for the money. The Blackout package must be ALL profit for Stellantis, but I must admit sure looks good.

wbama387

Reaction score
Did you also change VehConfig 1: Model Year to 2022?
I did. I did a search for camera in VehConfig area and noticed there are a bunch of settings that can be changed and was wondering if maybe one of those is incorrect but have not been able to find a post on what they should be.

rfullen280

Reaction score
I did. I did a search for camera in VehConfig area and noticed there are a bunch of settings that can be changed and was wondering if maybe one of those is incorrect but have not been able to find a post on what they should be.
You ever get this working?

rfullen280

Reaction score
I never did. I am pretty sure it is something incorrect in the vehicle config.
Hmmm...

I wonder how many different years/models of CVPMs and Uconnect brains there are that run UC5, and if that is what's at odds? One of the sites out there with this as a kit lists a part for the CVPM - but (and I don't know if it matters) it's a part number for the 1500 trucks... And I wonder if you need a CVPM for the HD trucks?

Being absolutly not a technical expert doesn't help much.

Also, is the CVPM different from 2022 to 2023-24? So maybe thats a thing too. Jimmy to the rescue?

rfullen280

Reaction score
Okay - I installed a Uconnect 5 12" in my 2021 Ram that had UC4 12" tonight. Also loaded the 2022 CVPM (and it works..but apparently you can't calibrate it in the dark...Doh.). So, here's some things I've figured out - the part numbers on the screen, the HVAC controls, and the "top three" buttons (Lane Assist, Hazard, ESC) are the same. I'm guessing it's the firmware in the display module that needs updated to work with the new UC5 Radio (the box behind the display. Now, here's where it gets interesting -

More than half the connectors for UC4 did NOT get plugged in to the new UC5 radio... yet everything I want to work...does. (Bluetooth, etc...)... so what are all the xtra wires for?

And.. this is the perplexing one - my Lane Assist button works. My Hazard button works. My ESC Off button does..nothing. It worked before, but it doesn't work now.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to why?

houtxPW

Reaction score
Radio module- 68507350AB

12” screen, depending on engine and lane assist feature:
Hazard button only (gas)- 68526608AB
Hazard/traction control (diesel)- 68526609AB
Hazard/lane departure warning (gas)- 68526610AB
Hazard/traction control/lane departure (diesel)- 68526611AB

Xm/gps antenna cable- https://www.amazon.com/StickyDeal-Volkswagen-Navigation-Telematics-Bluetooth/dp/B08JTYLNLR/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=14J6856W5QEHO&keywords=male+to+female+fakra+z+1’&qid=1652103332&sprefix=male+to+female+fakra+z+1+,aps,227&sr=8-2

CVPM- 56029965AC

As far as programming/updates, you’ll just need to use AlfaOBD to change the model year in the BCM to 2022, and recalibrate the cameras for the new CVPM. I also have a copy of the latest software version for the radio that you can put on usb to update the radio module.

PM me for details on the necessary custom cables.
so if I already have a 4c 12" display, can I just change the module and get it to work like version 5?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
so if I already have a 4c 12" display, can I just change the module and get it to work like version 5?
No, you still need the new screen and radio module. If you have surround view cameras, you need the new CVPM.

wbama387

Reaction score
Oh, the CVPM config is not under the BCM... it's in the radio settings in AlfaOBD...

And this thread has the settings to tweak in AlfaOBD. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/surround-camera-install-on-a-2019-2500-laramie.7441/
Is there config settings under the radio that have to be changed? I thought only the cvpm calibration was under the radio.

I followed the link you sent and checked my vehicle config against those settings and mine are the same. Should the surround camera button show on the display before the cvpm is calibrated? I swapped from the 12” UC4 to UC5. When I try and calibrate the cvpm it always gives me a failed message.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Is there config settings under the radio that have to be changed? I thought only the cvpm calibration was under the radio.

I followed the link you sent and checked my vehicle config against those settings and mine are the same. Should the surround camera button show on the display before the cvpm is calibrated? I swapped from the 12” UC4 to UC5. When I try and calibrate the cvpm it always gives me a failed message.
Here’s the fun stuff - to calibrate the cameras using ALFa OBD - connect to the Radio - then read/clear codes (it will have codes every time) then go into CVPM - and have the surround camera active on your radio (even though it will be a black screen). Then back in ALFA under CVPM - do the calibration for only 1 camera at a time - but don’t start the test until you are rolling in a straight line at about 3-5 MPH.

After each camera is done, disconnect from the Radio, reconnect, clear codes, open Surround Camera on your 12“ display, select CVPM - pick the next camera, start rolling, start test. Your UC5 screen will go to a green thing with a wheel, and a 4 arrow pattern…. I recommend doing the Left and Right cameras first, then the front, then the rear.

So the order of operations is:

Open Alfa, connect to a Radio. Choose CVPM - click Status/Faults - Clear Codes - Click Active Diagnostic - Choose CVPM Service Calibration - Select Individual Camera - Do Not Start Yet wait until:
Then, on truck - select Surround Camera, roll at 3-5 mph in a straight line then,
Click Start. After the camera is done, disconect from the Radio in AlFA using the Start Menu, and repeat for the other 3 cameras.

wbama387

Reaction score
Here’s the fun stuff - to calibrate the cameras using ALFa OBD - connect to the Radio - then read/clear codes (it will have codes every time) then go into CVPM - and have the surround camera active on your radio (even though it will be a black screen). Then back in ALFA under CVPM - do the calibration for only 1 camera at a time - but don’t start the test until you are rolling in a straight line at about 3-5 MPH.

After each camera is done, disconnect from the Radio, reconnect, clear codes, open Surround Camera on your 12“ display, select CVPM - pick the next camera, start rolling, start test. Your UC5 screen will go to a green thing with a wheel, and a 4 arrow pattern…. I recommend doing the Left and Right cameras first, then the front, then the rear.

So the order of operations is:

Open Alfa, connect to a Radio. Choose CVPM - click Status/Faults - Clear Codes - Click Active Diagnostic - Choose CVPM Service Calibration - Select Individual Camera - Do Not Start Yet wait until:
Then, on truck - select Surround Camera, roll at 3-5 mph in a straight line then,
Click Start. After the camera is done, disconect from the Radio in AlFA using the Start Menu, and repeat for the other 3 cameras.
The issue I have is the surround camera button does not show on the 12” screen and when I try to calibrate the cameras I get a failed message.

Last edited:

wbama387

Reaction score
Also, I have these two connectors from the UC4 that don’t have a location on the UC5 so not sure what they were for on the UC4? There was pink one that did not get used as well but that one was for a cell antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_8856.jpeg
    IMG_8856.jpeg
    518 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8854.jpeg
    IMG_8854.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 2

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
The issue I have is the surround camera button does not show on the 12” screen and when I try to calibrate the cameras I get a failed message.
What software version is your radio on right now? Have you done a factory reset on the radio at all?

wbama387

Reaction score
What software version is your radio on right now? Have you done a factory reset on the radio at all?
Build Number: FCA-MY23.T25.48-PROD Is there any chance that because I have a screen with the lane assist button and my UC4 did not be causing the surround button not to show? I plan on adding the lane assist components but have not done it yet. Also, do you know what that purplish/red connector was for on the UC4? Was wondering if it was WiFi antenna as I found out the green one is Bluetooth antenna. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8861.jpeg
    IMG_8861.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread