Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you upgrade to uconnect 5?

jm888

Reaction score
Forgive me if I totally don't understand this, but it is my understanding that the software run on the screens is uconnect and has different versions, where 4 is on a lot of vehicles now and 5 is just coming out. Is that correct, or is it specific to the type of screen you have? If that is the case, are these just a software upgrade or is it screen specific? The cool thing that stood out when reading about uconnect 5 was the wireless Android Auto so just wondering if you get a brand new truck that still has 4 on it, if it is upgradeable.

Phil T

Reaction score
Different hardware would make it very unlikely that there would be a path to upgrade. It's not like upgrading Windows. The only upgrade path would probably be to trade in your old truck for a new one.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Different hardware would make it very unlikely that there would be a path to upgrade. It's not like upgrading Windows. The only upgrade path would probably be to trade in your old truck for a new one.
Except Uconnect 5 is not yet being offered on the trucks. I don't think they have a version ready for the 12" screen yet.

ethancaine

Reaction score
With any luck at all the fitment for the UConnect 5.0 console will be the same as the current model and we'll be able to just swap it out. That's about the best we can hope for to get wireless CarPlay/Android Auto.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
What screen is it available on?
10.1 wide screen. I *suspect* Ram will use the same, and be done with the 12” when it gets Uconnect 5.
I’ll be finding out in about a month if the Uconnect 5 will work in my 2017 Ram.

g00fy

Reaction score
10.1 wide screen. I *suspect* Ram will use the same, and be done with the 12” when it gets Uconnect 5.
I’ll be finding out in about a month if the Uconnect 5 will work in my 2017 Ram.
It'd be nice if the more android based Uconnect 5 had the ability to automatically scale to whatever screen it's hooked up to. Then maybe you could swap in a Uconnect 5 module and have it scale to run on the current 12" screen. But this is very wishful thinking...

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm sure that infotainment and others will be working on a swap for the uconnect 5 to our trucks. I'd be willing to guess that it's possible, the question is cost.

UglyViking

Reaction score
But only on 2022+ trucks... you can't run it on an older vehicle, nor is the HU plug/play....
Have you tested it? I'd imagine it may require some sort of update or modification via alfa obd or the like.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Very eager to see how this plays out. I'd love wireless android auto and if the kinks are worked out on the 12" screen that would be cool to have.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Not with that attitude... I've got a uconnect 5 module coming to my house Monday, and tech king has already built an adapter harness. We'll get it figured out.

Having a custom harness made is not 'plug and play'...

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Challenge accepted. I’ll let you know on Saturday. It’ll be going in my 2017, which already has a 12” radio transplanted into it.

Best of luck... let us know how it goes.

Jgouldski

Reaction score
Having a custom harness made is not 'plug and play'...
That's literally what makes things "plug and play"
A company makes something that just 'plugs' into something that's already there. It's either possible with how it's factory made, or a custom connection is made to make it plug and play for the consumer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread