Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Just read thru the thread and have a few questions.

I used AlfaOBD on my '18, so it's not new to me. I will be modifying my KAOdTECh cable tonight to work on my '22.

I'm not doing much (tire size/fogs/current gear), but do have a couple questions about other possible mods.

1) Has anyone gotten the forward facing camera button to work on a 3500?
2) Can you add offroad pages to a 8.4 w/out NAV?
3) Do the performance pages work yet?
4) Is there an option to keep Tire Fill Alert selected in settings (like the 1500's), so all you have to do is select the app?
5) Can you add auto-dim headlights to a Gen 4.5? (My truck was supposed to have them, but doesn't)
6) Any way to make the mirror spotter lights turn on with the cargo light switch in the bed?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

I used AlfaOBD on my '18, so it's not new to me. I will be modifying my KAOdTECh cable tonight to work on my '22.

I'm not doing much (tire size/fogs/current gear), but do have a couple questions about other possible mods.

4) Is there an option to keep Tire Fill Alert selected in settings (like the 1500's), so all you have to do is select the app?
5) Can you add auto-dim headlights to a Gen 4.5? (My truck was supposed to have them, but doesn't)
6) Any way to make the mirror spotter lights turn on with the cargo light switch in the bed?
#5- yes
#1-4 & 6- no

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
#5- yes
#1-4 & 6- no

Thanks.

Do you know how difficult adding auto-dim high beams is?

I have the digital rear-view mirror and rain sensing wipers, but the auto-dim sensor isn't there. I was told by my dealership, who contacted Ram, that there was a 3 month window where trucks with digital rear-view mirrors inadvertently had the auto-dim high beams de-optioned and that Ram can't add it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

RE: #6

I recall there was some setting for CA and MS trucks that either disabled the spotter lights or shut them off at a certain (reverse) speed but the details escape me at the moment thanks to lack of sleep.

There is a setting in AlfaOBD for something related to them, I just don't recall what or what for.

@Jimmy07

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks.

Do you know how difficult adding auto-dim high beams is?

I have the digital rear-view mirror and rain sensing wipers, but the auto-dim sensor isn't there. I was told by my dealership, who contacted Ram, that there was a 3 month window where trucks with digital rear-view mirrors inadvertently had the auto-dim high beams de-optioned and that Ram can't add it.
The fact that you have the digital rear view mirror throws a wrench in things. When the truck is equipped with the DRVM, the only way to have auto high beams is to have forward collision warning/adaptive cruise because it’s the camera for those systems that controls the auto high beams.
So, basically, if you want to retain the DRVM, AND have auto high beams, you would have to go through with the full install of FCW/ACC.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

I recall there was some setting for CA and MS trucks that either disabled the spotter lights or shut them off at a certain (reverse) speed but the details escape me at the moment thanks to lack of sleep.

There is a setting in AlfaOBD for something related to them, I just don't recall what or what for.

@Jimmy07

I'm aware of the CA/MS setting, which doesn't effect me, but I wasn't sure if there were more options.

The fact that you have the digital rear view mirror throws a wrench in things. When the truck is equipped with the DRVM, the only way to have auto high beams is to have forward collision warning/adaptive cruise because it’s the camera for those systems that controls the auto high beams.
So, basically, if you want to retain the DRVM, AND have auto high beams, you would have to go through with the full install of FCW/ACC.

Hmmm, I was pretty sure I saw DRVM equipped trucks without the FCW/ACC and auto-dim high beams on the lot. I think I have a VIN in my email somewhere from dealing with the dealership, let me look.

Jimmy07

Reaction score

@Jimmy07
You’re thinking to have them function while in motion- cargo baggage lamps in motion. But nothing to make the bed mounted switch operate them.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Hmmm, I was pretty sure I saw DRVM equipped trucks without the FCW/ACC and auto-dim high beams on the lot. I think I have a VIN in my email somewhere from dealing with the dealership, let me look.
There’s no such part as a DRVM that has the auto high beam camera.
You might have seen something like a longhorn that lists auto high beams as standard equipment, but if you add the DRVM as an option, but not a package that includes FCW/ACC, it’s one of those options that will replace standard equipment.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There’s no such part as a DRVM that has the auto high beam camera.
You might have seen something like a longhorn that lists auto high beams as standard equipment, but if you add the DRVM as an option, but not a package that includes FCW/ACC, it’s one of those options that will replace standard equipment.

The one I was thinking of didn't have the DRVM.

Interesting, I was relayed information that it was a computer glitch that lasted 3 months. FCA even cut me a decent check for it being "missed" during the build. If it indeed can't be optioned on the basic DRVM then I'll take what I've got and be happy.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
The one I was thinking of didn't have the DRVM.

Interesting, I was relayed information that it was a computer glitch that lasted 3 months. FCA even cut me a decent check for it being "missed" during the build. If it indeed can't be optioned on the basic DRVM then I'll take what I've got and be happy.
FWIW, FCW/ACC is pretty easy to add, and can be done for about $1600.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, FCW/ACC is pretty easy to add, and can be done for about $1600.

I didn't option the entire Safety Group B because I didn't like some of the things that come with it, but if I could have added ACC stand alone I likely would have ordered it that way so that's good to know.

DeLoEnterprises

Reaction score
Ive got the Laramie LEDs I stupidly bought some LED switchback for the turn signals HOWEVER the Laramie LEDS don't have the amber DRLs like halogen bighorn models, is there a way to turn on the turn signals full time so I can utilize the switchback feature?

g00fy

Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Has anyone made any progress getting the chmsl to calibrate so the guide lines show up? I keep trying but the calibration still always fails.

2. Has anyone with an oversized fuel tank that's done the fuel gauge recalibration had the problem where it won't let you set the full tank calibration to 98%? I followed the directions I found in a different forum for calibrating the DTE & fuel gauge for my Titan tank, but the full calibration won't change from 91% the empty calibration changed to 5% no problem.

Steevo

Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Has anyone made any progress getting the chmsl to calibrate so the guide lines show up? I keep trying but the calibration still always fails.

2. Has anyone with an oversized fuel tank that's done the fuel gauge recalibration had the problem where it won't let you set the full tank calibration to 98%? I followed the directions I found in a different forum for calibrating the DTE & fuel gauge for my Titan tank, but the full calibration won't change from 91% the empty calibration changed to 5% no problem.
On question 2, there is a lot of good info in this thread:

Flatlandman

Reaction score
Hello! I just used AlfaOBD to enable my new OEM mid level LED headlights. I also changed the tire circumference and added the show-gear-in-cluster feature. After unplugging the KAODTech cable and buttoning everything back up, I did a test drive. When I start the pickup, the speedometer shows three dashes --- and these messages are displayed: autopark disabled, 4wd system temporarily unavailable, service antilock braking system, service electronic stability control, and service trailer brake. I assume all of these things rely on a valid speed input. The vehicle runs and drives. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

AJ

2020 2500 Tradesman, 6.4, 4wd

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Hello! I just used AlfaOBD to enable my new OEM mid level LED headlights. I also changed the tire circumference and added the show-gear-in-cluster feature. After unplugging the KAODTech cable and buttoning everything back up, I did a test drive. When I start the pickup, the speedometer shows three dashes --- and these messages are displayed: autopark disabled, 4wd system temporarily unavailable, service antilock braking system, service electronic stability control, and service trailer brake. I assume all of these things rely on a valid speed input. The vehicle runs and drives. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

AJ

2020 2500 Tradesman, 6.4, 4wd
Did you finish the tire size change process by running the abs initialization routine?

Flatlandman

Reaction score
Did you finish the tire size change process by running the abs initialization routine?
Done! Everything works now.

Jimmy, thank you for your patience answering a question which I'm certain has already come up before. I'm sure that gets old. I'd be most happy to contribute to your beer/Red Bull/iced tea fund if you want to PM me your PayPal.

Again sincere thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread