Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

CdnHO

Reaction score
Any android device. Or, if you don’t want to get an android device just for this, Jscan works on iOS, and can do most of what AlfaOBD can do (more in some instances).
Got the Jscan and the Kaotech by-pass cable. So far I have changed my Canadian DRL to my turn signal lights. So it works. Just need to explore more to see what else is there. Thanks @Jimmy07

ZaTHRaS

Reaction score
Can Fog lights be enable with DRL?
What is this setting in AlfaOBD?:
DRL Fog Light Strategy: NO

GreenYota

Reaction score
Every time I remote start my truck in the winter, the heater goes full blast on the windshield no matter what setting I had the HVAC set too when the truck was shutdown. As soon as you push the start button, the HVAC system reverts to the settings you had it on previously. I live in an area where the snow is cold and dry so it just blows or wipes off your windshield if it hasn't been melted by the heater. The auto defrost melts it onto the window and then freezes up your wipers and leaves a mess on your window that refreezes when you start driving. It also spreads cracks from rock chips due to the heat blasting on a cold window. I was just wondering if anyone has found a way to disable this from happening? It would have been nice if there was an option to enable or disable this from the factory in the uconnect as I know some people do like this feature. I have found some settings in Alfa OBD that may have something to do with it but don't know what the acronym "IRCM" is. Anyone have any idea what this is or maybe any other ideas on how to disable this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202-213556_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20221202-213556_AlfaOBD.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20221202-221052_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20221202-221052_AlfaOBD.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 33

Dave01

Reaction score
Every time I remote start my truck in the winter, the heater goes full blast on the windshield no matter what setting I had the HVAC set too when the truck was shutdown. As soon as you push the start button, the HVAC system reverts to the settings you had it on previously. I live in an area where the snow is cold and dry so it just blows or wipes off your windshield if it hasn't been melted by the heater. The auto defrost melts it onto the window and then freezes up your wipers and leaves a mess on your window that refreezes when you start driving. It also spreads cracks from rock chips due to the heat blasting on a cold window. I was just wondering if anyone has found a way to disable this from happening? It would have been nice if there was an option to enable or disable this from the factory in the uconnect as I know some people do like this feature. I have found some settings in Alfa OBD that may have something to do with it but don't know what the acronym "IRCM" is. Anyone have any idea what this is or maybe any other ideas on how to disable this?
Are you sure it cranks the heat up? On mine, I know it cranks the fan up, turns on rear defrost, I've disabled seat and wheel heaters. But my impression is that the temp is whatever I've set it at last, even though the fan is on high speed. I could be wrong, will pay more attention next time I start up.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it cranks the heat up? On mine, I know it cranks the fan up, turns on rear defrost, I've disabled seat and wheel heaters. But my impression is that the temp is whatever I've set it at last, even though the fan is on high speed. I could be wrong, will pay more attention next time I start up.

It likely doesn't matter what temp the heat is set at since all the settings are warmer than the ambient temp.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

Have you tried putting the wipers up overnight? That's pretty common around here in the cold snow.

I haven't seen any way to change the remote start comfort settings, other than enable/disable the steering wheel and seat heat.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
That’s how the hvac system is designed to work on remote starts, and is explained in the remote start section of the owners manual. There’s no way to change the behavior, and the auto on comfort setting in the radio doesn’t have anything to do with this either.
That AlfaOBD setting is for the IRCM defrost grid circuit. IRCM (integrated radar camera module) is the DASM, which is the camera on the windshield for adaptive cruise/FCW, and has it’s own little defrost area on the upper windshield in front of where the camera looks out of.

GreenYota

Reaction score
That’s how the hvac system is designed to work on remote starts, and is explained in the remote start section of the owners manual. There’s no way to change the behavior, and the auto on comfort setting in the radio doesn’t have anything to do with this either.
That AlfaOBD setting is for the IRCM defrost grid circuit. IRCM (integrated radar camera module) is the DASM, which is the camera on the windshield for adaptive cruise/FCW, and has it’s own little defrost area on the upper windshield in front of where the camera looks out of.
Thank you Jimmy, That is what I was looking for. If there was a way, I know of some other people that would love to have that feature either optional or disabled too. This same feature was on my 2014 too and I wished there was a way to disable it then as well. My 2008 left the blend doors in the last position they were in when the truck was shut down. It was really useful when I had my espar in there. Do the blend doors still park in the cold position like the previous generation trucks when the truck is shut off? Thanks

Last edited:

waveslayer

Reaction score
Any way to increase the cruise control speed above 85? I tried setting it at 84 and increasing it, no go

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
No, the cruise control settings are located inside the ECM so it takes a custom tune to modify those.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I have used the KAOdTECh cable a couple of times with OBD JScan (iPhone) to change my DRL setting and have a heck of a time removing the two small cables from the connector blocks when done. Yes, I used a small flat screwdriver. I cut down the little catches on the connectors to make it easy to pull them out when done programming.

ZaTHRaS

Reaction score
I have used the KAOdTECh cable a couple of times with OBD JScan (iPhone) to change my DRL setting and have a heck of a time removing the two small cables from the connector blocks when done. Yes, I used a small flat screwdriver. I cut down the little catches on the connectors to make it easy to pull them out when done programming.

Seems like folks either remove or leave in the bypass cable. Why not a perm/temp solution?
I built one for my brother, with a disconnect so the bus connectors stay and the OBD2 dongle can be removed.
I built myself one but, had a USB male to femaile dongle so, used it. The USB female comes right to the extra hole beside the OBD2 connector.

Attachments

• sgb_2.jpg
    sgb_2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 56
  • sgb_1.jpg
    sgb_1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 54

Chris1911

Reaction score
Seems like folks either remove or leave in the bypass cable. Why not a perm/temp solution?
I built one for my brother, with a disconnect so the bus connectors stay and the OBD2 dongle can be removed.
I built myself one but, had a USB male to femaile dongle so, used it. The USB female comes right to the extra hole beside the OBD2 connector.

I use this and keep it in. Plugs in behind the dash. No cables to hide.

https://ecri.app/products/ecri-security-module-bypass-2018-jeep-ram

kennelpj

Reaction score
Just got my MX+. I'm debating using an old android phone or getting a cheap tablet dedicated to it to keep in the truck. Before I download the $50 app and start tinkering, can the app be reinstalled on different devices or do you have to pay per device?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Just got my MX+. I'm debating using an old android phone or getting a cheap tablet dedicated to it to keep in the truck. Before I download the $50 app and start tinkering, can the app be reinstalled on different devices or do you have to pay per device?
Yes, the app can be installed on as many android devices as you want, as long as they all use the same google play store user login.

rdaled

Reaction score
A big THANK YOU to all those putting in the time and energy researching and sharing all this info! Particularly @Jimmy07 and @Brutal_HO !!!

I recently had 35's installed and promptly ordered a KOAdTECH bypass cable and OBDLINK MX+. Here are the mods I have made so far.
  • Programmed tire size to 2776mm (Falken Wildpeak AT3W 35x12.5x17)
  • Lowered TPMS thresholds to 35 front and rear
  • Added current gear to EVIC
  • Enabled fogs with highbeams

A couple of tips I learned from this site that made the job easier.
  • Removing the light switch console instead of the kick panel (it simply pulls straight off and pops back on, no tools needed, just make sure you replace the orange clips that may come off when removing)
  • Cutting off the catch on the two bypass cable leads (allows them to easily be plugged in and removed without having to use a small screwdriver, I would only recommend this for a temporary install as opposed to permanent)
I may also change the DRL to the turn signals, but still researching that mod.

CdnHO

Reaction score
A big THANK YOU to all those putting in the time and energy researching and sharing all this info! Particularly @Jimmy07 and @Brutal_HO !!!

I recently had 35's installed and promptly ordered a KOAdTECH bypass cable and OBDLINK MX+. Here are the mods I have made so far.
  • Programmed tire size to 2776mm (Falken Wildpeak AT3W 35x12.5x17)
  • Lowered TPMS thresholds to 35 front and rear
  • Added current gear to EVIC
  • Enabled fogs with highbeams

A couple of tips I learned from this site that made the job easier.
  • Removing the light switch console instead of the kick panel (it simply pulls straight off and pops back on, no tools needed, just make sure you replace the orange clips that may come off when removing)
  • Cutting off the catch on the two bypass cable leads (allows them to easily be plugged in and removed without having to use a small screwdriver, I would only recommend this for a temporary install as opposed to permanent)
I may also change the DRL to the turn signals, but still researching that mod.
Exactly what I did. Easy. I like the turn signals as DRLs. After I spent almost an hour removing the connectors on the bypass cables with a tiny screwdriver, I removed the catches with a utility knife. I never wanted a permanent install.
And pulling the light switch panel makes inserting the connectors really easy.

Users who are viewing this thread