Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't perma-mount my KAOdTECH cable. I plug it into the OBD port and plug the MX+ into the cable and stuff it up where it's not visible.

I did take the header apart and flip the cable to go out the other side of the 90.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Does AlphaOBD or anything else for that matter allow setting the exhaust brake on without a reset to off with every ignition cycling event. My H&S tuner on my last truck allowed just having it on at every start up and if not needed you'd just turn it off. I would like that functionality again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Does AlphaOBD or anything else for that matter allow setting the exhaust brake on without a reset to off with every ignition cycling event. My H&S tuner on my last truck allowed just having it on at every start up and if not needed you'd just turn it off. I would like that functionality again.

No.

Not that anyone has figured out.

You can use a dummy load in the trailer connector to stick it, but I didn't like that as it turns on trailer blind spot detection on my truck.

heloguy

Reaction score
I did the fogs with highs and fulltime current gear in drive in the display. Global windows didn't work for me.
Can i ask how on the alfaobd? For both the current gear and the fogs with highbeams. thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Can i ask how on the alfaobd? For both the current gear and the fogs with highbeams. thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just posted a summary thread for AlfaOBD. Not to derail this thread as that one is only for links/quick settings and NOT a how-to.

Tire size doc here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XDwyu2Y_Tm0afp6HAADA1FBJxhNLpbCY/edit

stepbill

Reaction score
I changed my CHMSL to led's from Lasfit and then changed the Car Config setting for CHMSL led: yes and it works great but now when I open the tailgate, the bedlight does not come on. It will come on if I open any door or push the cargo bed light switch. Do you think the CHMSL setting could have affected this?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Is AlphaOBD a warranty voider? From what I understand it talks to the BCM and not the ECM.

Thanks.

What would they void your warranty for?

Unless you brick your BCM and admit to doing so...

Since the BCM controls pretty much everything these days I could see them voiding if they found any modification flash to it Magnusson-Moss or not. Something like say, rear window motor goes out or auto headlight module, or whatever else talks to the BCM for permissions/instructions.

Also with AlphaOBD, does it work on multiple trucks with one purchase or is it a license per VIN set-up like HP Tuners type programs?

Thanks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the BCM controls pretty much everything these days I could see them voiding if they found any modification flash to it Magnusson-Moss or not. Something like say, rear window motor goes out or auto headlight module, or whatever else talks to the BCM for permissions/instructions.

Also with AlphaOBD, does it work on multiple trucks with one purchase or is it a license per VIN set-up like HP Tuners type programs?

Thanks.

AlfaOBD doesn't "flash" anything. It's just enabling codes for features already present in the BCM.

Licensed per user/owner for Android. Per PC for Windows but you can move it. Only one Windows PC per license. No per VIN restrictions at all.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Android vs windows version. Is there an advantage of one over the other?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Android vs windows version. Is there an advantage of one over the other?

The Android version cannot be forced to use a specific MY BCM. It autodetects the BCM and can't be overridden.

Case in point: The Trailer TPMS settings are (were?) not available in the AlfaOBD 2019 BCM settings but were in the 2020. Those adding TTPMS to their 2019 needed to use the Windows version to force it to MY2020 BCM.

There have been other quirks, @Jimmy07 would probably know them better.

Last edited:

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
The Android version cannot be forced to use a specific MY BCM. It autodetects the BCM and can't be overridden.

Case in point: The Trailer TPMS settings are (were?) not available in the AlfaOBD 2019 BCM settings but were in the 2020. Those adding TTPMS to their 2019 needed to use the Windows version to force it to MY2020 BCM.

There have been other quirks, @Jimmy07 would probably know them better.

This sounds like it leaves the door open to future feature installs like putting the 2021 trailer light checkout on 19-20. Not specifically that, but just a possible example.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The forward facing camera grid lines/trail cam also doesn’t set properly with the Android version.

Users who are viewing this thread