Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding camera to Digital Rearview Mirror

RickPatterson

Reaction score
I succeeded in adding building the camera to connect to the digital rearview mirror. I installed one on my 24' Cargo Trailer with the connection on the bumper and installed a second camera on my 40' 5th Wheel with the connection in the bed next to the factory trailer connection ports. I tried a variety of methods and finally settled on using RG-58 coaxial cable with smb screw connection ends. If you take the chimsl camera off the cab and get the part number for the replacement camera only as another member suggested you can order it from BAM Wholesale Parts
68448640AACamera$97.381$97.38
You will need this adapter to connect to the truck once you unplug the proprietary jack on the bumper: (From Amazon)
Tecreddy Fakra Z Male to SMA Male Antenna Adapter Cable 12 inch Car GPS Navigation Car Stereo FM AM Radio Sirius XM Satellite Radio DAB Digital Radio 4G LTE Telematics
$6.99​
If you want to set it up for a 5th Wheel you'll need this item to go from the back of the bumper to the trailer jack inside the bed of the truck:
SMA Extension Cable RG58 6.6ft(2M) TUOLNK SMA Male to SMA Female Coaxial Cable 3G 4G LTE WiFi Antenna Wireless LAN Low Loss RF Coax Assembly Cable CB
$8.99​
If you don't need the 5th Wheel connection you can just drill the plastic bumper and install a bulkhead adapter on the bumper. I ordered a variety of misc. parts and connectors from Amazon as follows:
Ordered
Price
1 of: BOOBRIE 10PCS RF Connector Accessories Protective Cover SMA Dust Cap SMA Coax Cap Have Chain for SMA Female Jack Adapter Connector Nickel-Plated
$14.99​
1 of: BOOBRIE SMA Socket Connector SMA Female Bulkhead Connector SMA Panel Chassis Mount Connector SMA Female to Female Barrel Adapter Antenna Jack Adapter for Wireless LAN Device Coax Cable,etc Pack of 10
$13.99​
1 of: ALLiSHOP SMA Connectors kit 18 Type SMA RP-SMA Adapter Plug and Jack Straight and 90° SMA Connector Goldplated Brass RF Coax Connectivity Set for FPV Antennas Radio Baofeng Yaesu IP Camera Project
$12.96​

Here is the only disappointment I had in the ordeal on the truck. No matter what kind of splitter I tried weather it be smb or Fakra the system will not recognize the trailer camera. as long as no splitter was used it works perfectly. What this means for me is that I have to crawl under the back bumper and switch the adapter to the bumper or the bed connection depending on what trailer I am pulling. Where I initially placed the bumper bulkhead that meant lowering the spare tire every time I had to switch the connection so I installed another bulkhead adapter in the license plate light on the bumper. This is off to the side where I can reach it without lowering the spare.

For the 40' 5th wheel I ordered a 65.6' smb cable: (Amazon)
SMA Extension Cable RG58 65.6ft(20M) TUOLNK SMA Male to SMA Female Coaxial Cable 3G 4G LTE WiFi Antenna Wireless LAN Low Loss Coax Cable CB Radio
$24.99​
and for the 24' cargo trailer I ordered this cable from Amazon:
SMA Extension Cable RG58 TUOLNK SMA Male to SMA Female Coaxial Cable 3G 4G LTE WiFi Antenna Wireless LAN Low Loss RF Coax Assembly Cable CB Radio (49.2ft)
$18.28​
I hope this helps someone out there trying to do what I did.

The cameras work perfectly. When you put the tow vehicle in reverse the cameras look down when you are looking through the trailer cam.

Attachments

• Trailer cam pics.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 121

406Mtman

Reaction score
Yes, on a 2021 you can swap in the DRVM and it will work plug n play with no programming, but you’ll lose the auto dim feature.
The mirror is 68448639AB
The CHMSL is 68465998AA, and includes both cameras.
You’ll also need a 10’ length of female to female fakra z cable:
hey so i have a 21 3500 limited with trailer cam cargo cam and digital rear view, i am trying to get my cam on the back of my 40' trailer to work with my rear view mirror. I have figured out the 22's have different inputs but we got screwed with the 21's im starting to think. ?? are there parts I have to get? or is it something i can have the dealer update? I do have the 12" display surround cam system also. pretty much everything but cab lights.... thanks for the help sir.

Chuck754

Reaction score
Here is another thought. If your travel trailer has a pre-wired for Furrion camera mount you can buy a wireless camera that fits the mount and a remote digital display that fits over your existing mirror essentially by-passing your current mirror when towing. There are several companies that make cameras that mount into the pre-wired mounts. Furrion is one but their systems are as expensive as what you are looking at buying (Mopar camera with a wire that needs to be run). Check out Tadi Brothers on-line for a superior camera/mirror mount that is wireless. Of course used for backing your trailer but it is also so quick and clear that it also makes an excellent mirror behind your trailer on all the time. The prices for a system is more like $250 for the camera and mirror display. They have strong reviews and are geared toward tractor/trailer installs as well as rvs. I know it’s difficult not to use technology that’s already built into your truck but when the quality is better for less it’s worth checking out. Just another option to consider.

Jmonty

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture/video of the tailgate camera solution for a trailer camera vs the OEM trailer kit? ~$100 seems alot better that ~$500 if its similar experience to the viewing experience I currently have from the 3rd brake light.

Rammark

Reaction score
The pictured connector below is not fakra, and the cable from Amazon won’t work in it’s place. I’ve been working on trying to identify it, but it is much larger, and different than fakra. It’s some sort of proprietary coax adapter from what appears to be an RG58 TNC screwed into it:
View attachment 35118
Did you ever figure what, or where to get this adapter?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Did you ever figure what, or where to get this adapter?
It’s amphenol, and it’s restricted by OEM (ram), so they won’t sell it or give any information on it without a letter from the oem.

Rammark

Reaction score
Thanks, have you
It’s amphenol, and it’s restricted by OEM (ram), so they won’t sell it or give any information on it without a letter from the oem.
Thanks, Have you heard of any work arounds on this? I'm thinking about replacing to connector from the bumber, and having it go from the female Fakra behind the bumber to a male Fakra to the trailer cable.

Benson

Reaction score
I just bought a new 42 foot fifth wheel. I have the DRVM trailer camera kit with the 50 foot cable. I'm looking to move the plug on the rear bumper to inside the bed near the 7 and 12 pin plugs (why this is not part of the max towing package is beyond me) What I'm wondering is if I need more cable length on the trailer side would this cable be suitable to use between the camera and the cable from the kit? Are these plugs weather proof of should I shrink wrap them. I built this on 10 feet long but they can be made any length. I don't know which RG cable to use or if it even matters.

Attachments

• 2023-03-17.png
    2023-03-17.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 22

Vamps83

Reaction score
I confirmed that if you already have the tow mode cabling installed you can add the camera on the cheap by buying camera part #68448640AA and using a $10 fakra-z cable from amazon. Unplug the farka cable from the proprietary connector and connect it to the fakra cable. Tow mode camera for about $120.

View attachment 44556
This is fantastic! I was getting pretty aggrvated about this stupid connector on the bumper. I didn't even think to look at the back if it. I bought the truck used and the previous owner didn't leave the cable in the truck. I had everything except the cable. Ram won't sell the cable at the moment. This worked perfectly! I saw some other guys complaining about this connector after this post... this is the solution.

SJJOHNSON57

Reaction score
Guys, first time posting on this forum (or any other forum for that matter) so I'm likely to do something wrong. I have a 2022 2500 ram and installed the optional trailer camera and cable on my travel trailer. It's been working great, but now it's time to trade in the travel trailer and upgrade. I will remove the camera, but I'm leaving the cable on the old trailer and need a replacement to install on the new trailer. Any thoughts on what I need and where to get one? Thanks for any advice!

Vamps83

Reaction score
Guys, first time posting on this forum (or any other forum for that matter) so I'm likely to do something wrong. I have a 2022 2500 ram and installed the optional trailer camera and cable on my travel trailer. It's been working great, but now it's time to trade in the travel trailer and upgrade. I will remove the camera, but I'm leaving the cable on the old trailer and need a replacement to install on the new trailer. Any thoughts on what I need and where to get one? Thanks for any advice!
Uninstall the wire and guard it with your life... joking..kind of. I was told the wire is not available through Ram at the moment and if it works great then i wouldn't let it go. I am having some connection issues with the after market ones. It works great when the truck is sitting still but as soon as I start moving I immediately start losing connection. This is likely the connectors but I haven't had the chance to troubleshoot it. The camera and wire will likely not be of value to the next owner of the trailer anyways.

SJJOHNSON57

Reaction score
Uninstall the wire and guard it with your life... joking..kind of. I was told the wire is not available through Ram at the moment and if it works great then i wouldn't let it go. I am having some connection issues with the after market ones. It works great when the truck is sitting still but as soon as I start moving I immediately start losing connection. This is likely the connectors but I haven't had the chance to troubleshoot it. The camera and wire will likely not be of value to the next owner of the trailer anyways.
Thanks for the feedback Vamps. I was hoping there was an inexpensive cable available. By the way, I do experience loss of signal at times when driving over rough roads, but generally get it back by selecting the trailer camera again on the review view mirror.

Vamps83

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Vamps. I was hoping there was an inexpensive cable available. By the way, I do experience loss of signal at times when driving over rough roads, but generally get it back by selecting the trailer camera again on the review view mirror.
This is what I'm using.
It is cheap but comes at 20' max so more than one is needed. That's why I was saying it may be the connector issue. Connecting a couple in series adds additional connection points but may be addressable. I just haven't had the chance to look at it further.
You also have to bypass the specialty connector on the vehicle bumper which requires you drop the spare tire at least once so you can disconnect the wire from the bumper. My vehicle came with some spare blank caps for this connector on a black panel pass through (was in glove box or center console). I removed it from the black panel pass through and use it to blank off the connector when it's not in use (keeps it clean).
There are end connectors and crimps available to make your own wires but then you have to purchase wire as well and a crimper.

SJJOHNSON57

Reaction score
This is what I'm using.
It is cheap but comes at 20' max so more than one is needed. That's why I was saying it may be the connector issue. Connecting a couple in series adds additional connection points but may be addressable. I just haven't had the chance to look at it further.
You also have to bypass the specialty connector on the vehicle bumper which requires you drop the spare tire at least once so you can disconnect the wire from the bumper. My vehicle came with some spare blank caps for this connector on a black panel pass through (was in glove box or center console). I removed it from the black panel pass through and use it to blank off the connector when it's not in use (keeps it clean).
There are end connectors and crimps available to make your own wires but then you have to purchase wire as well and a crimper.
Thanks again. I reached out to Pasternack to see if they have a solution too.

223500DRW

Reaction score
if anyone needs the kits I have a brand new in bag trailer reverse camera kit. I never installed on my truck has camera and complete kit I will part with. I also have a trailer 360 camera kit I would part with if anyone is interested new in box as well.

Users who are viewing this thread