Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding camera to Digital Rearview Mirror

tombell

Reaction score
I have a 2022 2500 Laramie.
It has the digital rearview mirror which currently uses a camera in the center break light for a 'digital view' of the rear.
I will be adding camper to be installed in the truck bed - effectively blocking the existing view camera view.
From my understanding of the mirror controls and the vauge information in the manual - it seems you can add a 2nd camera to be able to see behind a trailer or in my case the

What do I need to add that second camera? Since the controls between two camera are already set up in the mirror, hopefully it's a simple plug and play...hopefully :)

Thanks in advance!

223500DRW

Reaction score
I don't know the part number for you but you may find it on Google. I ordered the wired tow mode camera it was a 450.00 option on my 3500 build. it's a camera you mount on the back of your trailer and comes with 45 feet of expandable cable so I hear. it is different lengths that attach to make the length you need I think it's up to 45 feet I could be wrong. but once you have it you can use your digital rear view mirror to see behind the trailer. or in your case you could also mount it on your bumper to see behind the truck if need be. it plugs into the connector by the tow connectors.

Reaction score
I moved my Camera from the 3rd brake lamp assembly to the rear of my ARE topper. It works great!! I just had a custom Fakra cable made with some extra length as I plan to mount it on a 8-10" surfboard fin above the Topper so I can see into the boats while towing.

I am also going to move the Cargo Cam from the 3rd brake lamp to a high point above the Cab so I can toggle between what is in the boat or behind me to my immediate surroundings for blind spot mitigation.

What you will need is: https://www.pasternack.com/fakra-cable-assemblies-category.aspx
PE38756B-96White FAKRA Plug to FAKRA Jack Cable Using RG316 Coax

Here is a livestream video when I first discovered the cable would work.

tombell

Reaction score
I don't know the part number for you but you may find it on Google. I ordered the wired tow mode camera it was a 450.00 option on my 3500 build. it's a camera you mount on the back of your trailer and comes with 45 feet of expandable cable so I hear. it is different lengths that attach to make the length you need I think it's up to 45 feet I could be wrong. but once you have it you can use your digital rear view mirror to see behind the trailer. or in your case you could also mount it on your bumper to see behind the truck if need be. it plugs into the connector by the tow connectors.

Plug and play would be great.
I sent an email to the parts guy at my local RAM - maybe he'll be of assistance.
Thank you.

tombell

Reaction score
I moved my Camera from the 3rd brake lamp assembly to the rear of my ARE topper. It works great!! I just had a custom Fakra cable made with some extra length as I plan to mount it on a 8-10" surfboard fin above the Topper so I can see into the boats while towing.

I am also going to move the Cargo Cam from the 3rd brake lamp to a high point above the Cab so I can toggle between what is in the boat or behind me to my immediate surroundings for blind spot mitigation.

What you will need is: https://www.pasternack.com/fakra-cable-assemblies-category.aspx

That's awesome and could certainly be the solution if a plug and play 2nd camera is not available.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I have a 2022 2500 Laramie.
It has the digital rearview mirror which currently uses a camera in the center break light for a 'digital view' of the rear.
I will be adding camper to be installed in the truck bed - effectively blocking the existing view camera view.
From my understanding of the mirror controls and the vauge information in the manual - it seems you can add a 2nd camera to be able to see behind a trailer or in my case the

What do I need to add that second camera? Since the controls between two camera are already set up in the mirror, hopefully it's a simple plug and play...hopefully :)

Thanks in advance!
The kit you’re looking for is the tow mode camera- 68527599AA
046F9D5C-345A-4CE6-A521-34CCD2619D66.jpeg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Perfect!
Hopefully the dealer can locate that part for me and the price isn't too prohibitive.
Otherwise Patriot Motor Sports option might be preferable. I'd need a camera housing though.
The fakra cable linked above won’t work on your tow mode camera port on the bumper.

tombell

Reaction score
The fakra cable linked above won’t work on your tow mode camera port on the bumper.

Right - Going that route I'd need to remove the camera from the brake light assembly, use the fakra cable to increase the length and mount the camera on the back of my camper.

tombell

Reaction score
so my Ram dealer says that part # 68527599AA is not in his system and he thinks it needs to be installed at the factory.
:/

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Right - Going that route I'd need to remove the camera from the brake light assembly, use the fakra cable to increase the length and mount the camera on the back of my camper.
You don’t even need to do that. He’s got a 2021, and the 2022 digital rear view mirror is set up different. Yours has two camera inputs, whereas the 21’s only have one. You’re already prepped for just plugging in a second camera to the bumper. You would just need that camera, housing, and a length of rg174/316 cable with the fakra connectors. The fakra that plugs into the bumper port is a little bigger than the ones on that cable linked above.
so my Ram dealer says that part # 68527599AA is not in his system and he thinks it needs to be installed at the factory.
:/
It’s not an installed item from the factory, it’s a separate user install kit in a bag. It’ll eventually be available, and the 2022 parts catalog is still populating. I’ll see if I can find the individual part numbers from the kit.

Last edited:

tombell

Reaction score
You don’t even need to do that. He’s got a 2021, and the 2022 digital rear view mirror is set up different. Yours has two camera inputs, whereas the 21’s only have one. You’re already prepped for just plugging in a second camera to the bumper. You would just need that camera, housing, and a length of rg174/316 cable with the fakra connectors. The fakra that plugs into the bumper port is a little bigger that the ones on that cable linked above.

It’s not an installed item from the factory, it’s a separate user install kit in a bag. It’ll eventually be available, and the 2022 parts catalog is still populating. I’ll see if I can find the individual part numbers from the kit.

Super helpful info - thank you so much!

I just went out to look at my truck. I now see the fakra port on the left side of the license plate. With the cable and a camera seems like a super simple install.

tombell

Reaction score
Dealer is saying this is the camera I need.
attached is the install pdf.

Seems to be basically the same as the part you had provided earlier...still using the 12 pin connector - not the fakra port on the left side with the trailer camera icon on the cover - pictures below.

IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0904.JPG

Attachments

• 2022 ram Trailer Camera Kit HD 82216068AD.pdf
    577.7 KB · Views: 148

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Dealer is saying this is the camera I need.
attached is the install pdf.

Seems to be basically the same as the part you had provided earlier...still using the 12 pin connector - not the fakra port on the left side with the trailer camera icon on the cover - pictures below.

View attachment 27675 View attachment 27676

Dealer is wrong.

And it's not the same kit as the Digital camera which is LVDS and uses the coax/fakra connector.

That's the old analog kit for the UC4 trucks. It may work as an analog for the 2nd Aux camera on the new trucks if it's a 2022 part.

The 12-pin works with the new trailer surround view kit which includes a CVPM box and 4 cameras. I don't know how or if they split out the pins for the Aux2 analog camera.

tombell

Reaction score
Dealer is wrong.

And it's not the same kit as the Digital camera which is LVDS and uses the coax/fakra connector.

That's the old analog kit for the UC4 trucks. It may work as an analog for the 2nd Aux camera on the new trucks if it's a 2022 part.

The 12-pin works with the new trailer surround view kit which includes a CVPM box and 4 cameras. I don't know how or if they split out the pins for the Aux2 analog camera.

So frustrating.
Thanks for your input.
Hopefully I'm on the right track to getting a 2nd camera added.
Not quite sure what the absolute answer is however.
It seems adding a camera to the fakra port is the correct path - just need some correct part #'s. (which I think Jimmy said he was looking into).

Appreciate everyone's assistance!

tombell

Reaction score
This is the latest from the Dealer...
OK so I just got off the phone with Chrysler and this is what I got. The single plug on the side is for the rear view camera but they do not offer a kit for it as of now and may never
I did get the part# for the factory kit used in its place. but I can not guarantee it will work. but personally think it will.
So the camera 68526533AA is not out yet so no price. The wiring is 68525798AA list is 259.00. 5 days out.

wiring for $260. The source Patriot Motor Source used was only $60.

From the standpoint of not having a plug/wire protruding right at the license plate, which is somewhat of a step into my camper - It's feeling like following Patriot Motor Sources project and removing the camera from the brake light, get a length of wire and mount that camera to the back of the camper. Just need a mount/box for the camera assembly.

Mark Halwa

Reaction score
This is the latest from the Dealer...
OK so I just got off the phone with Chrysler and this is what I got. The single plug on the side is for the rear view camera but they do not offer a kit for it as of now and may never
I did get the part# for the factory kit used in its place. but I can not guarantee it will work. but personally think it will.
So the camera 68526533AA is not out yet so no price. The wiring is 68525798AA list is 259.00. 5 days out.

wiring for $260. The source Patriot Motor Source used was only $60.

From the standpoint of not having a plug/wire protruding right at the license plate, which is somewhat of a step into my camper - It's feeling like following Patriot Motor Sources project and removing the camera from the brake light, get a length of wire and mount that camera to the back of the camper. Just need a mount/box for the camera assembly.
So it may be possible to extend the CHMSL camera by adding ~30 feet of Fakra cable to the camera on my 2021 Longhorn which is currently blocked by my truck topper and the digital rearview mirror will display the image from wherever I put the CHMSL camera? If anyone successfully does this (extending it at least 25 feet), please let me know!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
So it may be possible to extend the CHMSL camera by adding ~30 feet of Fakra cable to the camera on my 2021 Longhorn which is currently blocked by my truck topper and the digital rearview mirror will display the image from wherever I put the CHMSL camera? If anyone successfully does this (extending it at least 25 feet), please let me know!
See post number 3 above. Follow @Patriot Motor Sports USA link in that post, and you could do similar to what he did.

Mark Halwa

Reaction score

Do you think that Fakra cable work if it is 25-30 feet long?
[/QUOTE]

kpecks

Reaction score

how are you plugging the hole in the CHMSL housing? I need to get an ARE topper and will be doing this or trying to figure out how to run another camera and use the tow mode on my rear view. I have a 22 limited 3500

Users who are viewing this thread