Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding camera to Digital Rearview Mirror

sh4rkattk

Reaction score
I just completed this install on my 44' 5er. about 70 ft total length of rg58. Bought the camera out of the CHML. Crimped my own fakra and tnc connecters.

Moved the bumper connector to the bed as a TNC

Used TNC connectors instead of SMA for a stronger connection due to the lengths.

LOVE IT WORKS GREAT

snayte

Reaction score
. It works great when the truck is sitting still but as soon as I start moving I immediately start losing connection. This is likely the connectors but I haven't had the chance to troubleshoot it. The camera and wire will likely not be of value to the next owner of the trailer anyways.
I am having that problem with the OEM cable. Trying to get the dealer to warranty me a replacement and they do not know what to do for me since I installed the cable in the trailer.

snayte

Reaction score
I am having that problem with the OEM cable. Trying to get the dealer to warranty me a replacement and they do not know what to do for me since I installed the cable in the trailer.
I think I have them agreeing that the cable is covered by warranty even though I installed it. But Of course they want to try replacing the connector on the truck and the end of the cable before actually giving me a replacement cable. It is amazing how little they know about this option.

snayte

Reaction score
I think I have them agreeing that the cable is covered by warranty even though I installed it. But Of course they want to try replacing the connector on the truck and the end of the cable before actually giving me a replacement cable. It is amazing how little they know about this option.
I have been waiting for a month or two now and getting no replacement from the dealer. They claim it is on order. @RamCares is there anything that can be done here? I paid for this feature with my truck and it has never worked correctly. I need a new cable and possibly a new connector on the bumper but the dealer cannot seem to get these parts.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I have been waiting for a month or two now and getting no replacement from the dealer. They claim it is on order. @RamCares is there anything that can be done here? I paid for this feature with my truck and it has never worked correctly. I need a new cable and possibly a new connector on the bumper but the dealer cannot seem to get these parts.

If they are on back order not much you can do but wait. You could possibly ask the parts department to see if a dealer somewhere has some they possibly ordered but never used and see if they are willing to give them up.

Kyle T

Reaction score
I wonder if the splitter would work if you put a coax termination on the inactive port when it’s not in use. Similar to old in house coax wiring. These are small screw on coax caps. There are probably something similar for the RG 58 terminations.

Users who are viewing this thread