Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding camera to Digital Rearview Mirror

jtolen

Reaction score
FAKRA connector.

The digital review mirror is nice because there are 2 cameras located in the third brake light - one can be moved up and down if the cargo bed is full of stuff and give you a view of the road behind you.
Thank you.

So I purchased the following cable:

Is this what I need to plug into the back of the camera, and then into the port on the bumper? The connector I see in some of the images looks much bigger than the connector on the end of the cable I bought, so I just want to make sure. Again, thanks for the assist!

sstoner911

Reaction score

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thank you.

So I purchased the following cable:

Is this what I need to plug into the back of the camera, and then into the port on the bumper? The connector I see in some of the images looks much bigger than the connector on the end of the cable I bought, so I just want to make sure. Again, thanks for the assist!
The pictured connector below is not fakra, and the cable from Amazon won’t work in it’s place. I’ve been working on trying to identify it, but it is much larger, and different than fakra. It’s some sort of proprietary coax adapter from what appears to be an RG58 TNC screwed into it:
6AEF50D7-726F-4787-B284-89D44D5C6205.jpeg

sstoner911

Reaction score
The pictured connector below is not fakra, and the cable from Amazon won’t work in it’s place. I’ve been working on trying to identify it, but it is much larger, and different than fakra. It’s some sort of proprietary coax adapter from what appears to be an RG58 TNC screwed into it:
View attachment 35118
Hmm..ok I must have been thinking of some other connection discussed on one of the forums.

My mistake... But Amazon is great about returning stuff!

jtolen

Reaction score
View attachment 35118
That’s what I was afraid of. Appreciate the input!

jtolen

Reaction score
View attachment 35118
I’ve put in a request with Amphenol RF (who I believe is the manufacturer of the connector) with this and other pictures I could find online to see if they know anything about this connector, and where to find it. I’ll update if/when I hear anything back from them.

errosfitz

Reaction score
I’ve just read this whole thread and want to make sure I got it right. I have a 2021 RAM 3500 Laramie with the digital rear view camera but without the RAM trailer camera or harness. I “think” I can order the 2022 version of the digital rear view mirror that has an aux input for a 2nd camera, and a second digital camera from the 3rd brake housing and a 50‘ fakra/coax harness to run to the back of my 5th wheel? Where does the aux camera plug into the mirror? Anything else? Thanks!

pk2ca

Reaction score
I just bought a 2022 Ram 2500 and it came with the Trailer Surround View aka Trailer 360 camera kit. That's 4 cameras, cabling, etc. that I would need to install on my trailer to connect to the 12-pin port. If I'm reading all of this right, that would allow me to view those cameras on the Uconnect screen only, but not on the digital rear view mirror. The truck came with the digital rear view mirror and the connector on the left side of the license plate, but no camera for it.

Does anyone know if I can use one of the 4 cameras from the 360 kit and a FAKRA cable to connect to the port on the left of the license plate so the digital rear view mirror shows what is behind the trailer? Otherwise, I think I would need to buy 68527599AA at about $650 (right?).

Between the two options (360 view on the big screen or rear view mirror behind the trailer), I would rather have the rear view mirror behind the trailer.

Thanks!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I just bought a 2022 Ram 2500 and it came with the Trailer Surround View aka Trailer 360 camera kit. That's 4 cameras, cabling, etc. that I would need to install on my trailer to connect to the 12-pin port. If I'm reading all of this right, that would allow me to view those cameras on the Uconnect screen only, but not on the digital rear view mirror.
That’s correct.
Does anyone know if I can use one of the 4 cameras from the 360 kit and a FAKRA cable to connect to the port on the left of the license plate so the digital rear view mirror shows what is behind the trailer?
This will not work. The 360 cameras are different, and the digital rear view mirror won’t display them.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
I’ve just read this whole thread and want to make sure I got it right. I have a 2021 RAM 3500 Laramie with the digital rear view camera but without the RAM trailer camera or harness. I “think” I can order the 2022 version of the digital rear view mirror that has an aux input for a 2nd camera, and a second digital camera from the 3rd brake housing and a 50‘ fakra/coax harness to run to the back of my 5th wheel? Where does the aux camera plug into the mirror? Anything else? Thanks!
Yes, you can install a 2022 digital rear view mirror on your 2021. It has two camera connectors coming out of the mirror (black is for the CHMSL camera, and white is for the tow mode camera).
And yes, you can use the same camera part number that is used in the CHMSL for the tow mode camera.

pk2ca

Reaction score
That’s correct.

This will not work. The 360 cameras are different, and the digital rear view mirror won’t display them.
Thank you, and thanks to everyone in this thread who has helped clear this up. Ram didn't make any of it very clear on their own!

Reaction score
Just to update my earlier post on this thread... I have now changed my ARE topper to a taller model and fabricated a real mount for the CHMRV Camera. I have to say the view is STELLAR!!! I can easily see inside the boats, have a "bird's eye" view of all traffic and a much better view of the trucks who like to get too close to my trailers. The view is really amazing, but I am thinking about moving it a bit forward to make the field of view a bit wider.

lewis42

Reaction score
I moved my Camera from the 3rd brake lamp assembly to the rear of my ARE topper. It works great!! I just had a custom Fakra cable made with some extra length as I plan to mount it on a 8-10" surfboard fin above the Topper so I can see into the boats while towing.

I am also going to move the Cargo Cam from the 3rd brake lamp to a high point above the Cab so I can toggle between what is in the boat or behind me to my immediate surroundings for blind spot mitigation.

What you will need is: https://www.pasternack.com/fakra-cable-assemblies-category.aspx
PE38756B-96White FAKRA Plug to FAKRA Jack Cable Using RG316 Coax

Here is a livestream video when I first discovered the cable would work.

Did you at any point ever have it mounted in the third brake light area of the shell? I am looking to do the same thing but would like a cleaner factory like installation with the camera mounted in the third brake light

kcarr

Reaction score
I have recently purchased the Ram 2500 Limited with the 360 surround trailer kit.
I have installed the cameras on my 38 foot toy hauler and when i plug it in to the truck nothing happens.
is there a switch , plug something i needed to do for this work for me?
Anyone have advice?

tombell

Reaction score
I have recently purchased the Ram 2500 Limited with the 360 surround trailer kit.
I have installed the cameras on my 38 foot toy hauler and when i plug it in to the truck nothing happens.
Anyone have advice?
there is a button on the rearview mirror to switch the camera input from the one in the break light to the trailer camera.

Justjumpit

Reaction score
Anyone have advice?
I believe the trailer surround camera is viewed through the radio system.
The tow mode camera that connects to the digital rear view camera is a separate camera with a separate plug.

DesertLawman

Reaction score
The fakra cable linked above won’t work on your tow mode camera port on the bumper.
I need to replace this port on my bumper. My cable snagged and broke the collar. Any idea what the part number is?

dyakovly

Reaction score
Yes, you can install a 2022 digital rear view mirror on your 2021. It has two camera connectors coming out of the mirror (black is for the CHMSL camera, and white is for the tow mode camera).
And yes, you can use the same camera part number that is used in the CHMSL for the tow mode camera.
Jimmy, would you please share part# for 2022 digital rear view mirror.
Thank you

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Jimmy, would you please share part# for 2022 digital rear view mirror.
Thank you
68519222AA if you have adaptive cruise and forward collision warning.
68519111AA if you do not have ACC and FCW.

Dausbrooks

Reaction score
68519222AA if you have adaptive cruise and forward collision warning.
68519111AA if you do not have ACC and FCW.
Jimmy, Can you share part numbers for cabling from the 2022 mirror to the bumper? Or should I ditch the cabling in the 68527599AA Backup camera kit and run all custom? If custom, can you help me specifying the connectors on the mirror and camera? Also is there a good option for a firewall connector like on the 2022 bumper?

I have on order for my 2021 3500 Limited:
Back Up Camera Kit 68527599AA
Rear View Mirror 68519222AA
Trailer Tow Connector 68508681AA
Trailer Tow Connector 68532402AA
Trailer Tow Connector 68532403AA
Jumper Wiring 68519044AA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread