Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding camera to Digital Rearview Mirror

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Jimmy, Can you share part numbers for cabling from the 2022 mirror to the bumper? Or should I ditch the cabling in the 68527599AA Backup camera kit and run all custom? If custom, can you help me specifying the connectors on the mirror and camera? Also is there a good option for a firewall connector like on the 2022 bumper?

I have on order for my 2021 3500 Limited:
Back Up Camera Kit 68527599AA
Rear View Mirror 68519222AA
Trailer Tow Connector 68508681AA
Trailer Tow Connector 68532402AA
Trailer Tow Connector 68532403AA
Jumper Wiring 68519044AA
Definitely use the tow mode camera kit and the 68508681AA bumper connector.
Then just connect the digital rear view mirror to the back of the bumper connector via RG58 fakra z coax cable. Run it through the firewall through the big rubber wire harness grommet that has a nipple that you can cut off to pass the cable through.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Definitely use the tow mode camera kit and the 68508681AA bumper connector.
Then just connect the digital rear view mirror to the back of the bumper connector via RG58 fakra z coax cable. Run it through the firewall through the big rubber wire harness grommet that has a nipple that you can cut off to pass the cable through.

Jimmy07 - Could I piggy back on this question from a different angle?

I’ve got the camera kit for my RV which runs to the input on the driver’s side of the rear bumper (2022 2500 6.4 Hemi with ACC and digital mirror).

I’m thinking about adding another camera mount to my truck’s cap and just moving the camera from the RV to the Truck when I’m not towing so I can get the rear view image in the mirror that’s obstructed now by the cap.

The camera kit came with a 50’ (or so) cable to reach from the rear of the trailer up to the truck. Does RAM make a 10’ cable that connects from that camera to the rear bumper input? If so, do you know the part numbers for the bracket and cable? And if not, is there any such animal in existence? I ask because if I understand correctly, that Fakra connection you show is not for outside the bumper but somewhere else. I just want to be able to use the external input.

Thanks!
Steve

Dausbrooks

Reaction score
Jimmy07 - Could I piggy back on this question from a different angle?

I’ve got the camera kit for my RV which runs to the input on the driver’s side of the rear bumper (2022 2500 6.4 Hemi with ACC and digital mirror).

I’m thinking about adding another camera mount to my truck’s cap and just moving the camera from the RV to the Truck when I’m not towing so I can get the rear view image in the mirror that’s obstructed now by the cap.

The camera kit came with a 50’ (or so) cable to reach from the rear of the trailer up to the truck. Does RAM make a 10’ cable that connects from that camera to the rear bumper input? If so, do you know the part numbers for the bracket and cable? And if not, is there any such animal in existence? I ask because if I understand correctly, that Fakra connection you show is not for outside the bumper but somewhere else. I just want to be able to use the external input.

Thanks!
Steve
Thank you, Jimmy, for the contributions. Here is my attempt to contribute (from others posts and pictures). You can connect a y-cable and an extension to utilize two locations. You are limited to having only one camera plugged in at a time. The Fakra cable connects to the back of the connector on the bumper and directly to the camera also. Others have mentioned different methods of mounting due to having the cap on the bed. There are several ways to mount or relocate a camera. Most have purchased a new or salvaged CHMSL camera. However, the connections are pretty basic.

Y-connector https://amzn.to/3cnBqbh - Edit This is a bad link. It comes with type "C Signal Blue" Connectors not Type Z

Try this link instead - https://amzn.to/3Op0coQ

Extension https://amzn.to/3Pew5BF

Here is the 68508681AA bumper connector (Pics are from TXsportDriver)

plug.jpg
plug2.jpg
plug3.jpg
plug4.jpg

Last edited:

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Thank you, Jimmy, for the contributions. Here is my attempt to contribute (from others posts and pictures). You can connect a y-cable and an extension to utilize two locations. You are limited to having only one camera plugged in at a time. The Fakra cable connects to the back of the connector on the bumper and directly to the camera also. Others have mentioned different methods of mounting due to having the cap on the bed. There are several ways to mount or relocate a camera. Most have purchased a new or salvaged CHMSL camera. However, the connections are pretty basic.

Y-connector https://amzn.to/3cnBqbh
Extension https://amzn.to/3Pew5BF

Here is the 68508681AA bumper connector (Pics are from TXsportDriver)

View attachment 41255
View attachment 41256
View attachment 41257
View attachment 41258
Thanks Dausbrooks - I’m trying to avoid taking out the connection at the bumper or purchasing another camera/CHML. Let’s say I mounted the camera on the cap, would the extension you linked on Amazon connect from the camera to the connection on the bumper? It doesn’t seem that way looking at it online and at the truck (pics attached).

7D0F5416-6F32-45CC-9533-19DE3EBD71E7.jpeg998AFD9F-8DD5-4D7A-BC6D-41CA8A64017C.jpeg

Dausbrooks

Reaction score
Thanks Dausbrooks - I’m trying to avoid taking out the connection at the bumper or purchasing another camera/CHML. Let’s say I mounted the camera on the cap, would the extension you linked on Amazon connect from the camera to the connection on the bumper? It doesn’t seem that way looking at it online and at the truck (pics attached).

View attachment 41262View attachment 41263
Yes the Y cable connects to the back side of the 68508681AA bumper connector. Then you use the extension to route to another 68508681AA bumper connector (if you wish). However, if you disconnect the camera from the wiring that came with the camera, the extension cable listed above will connect to it. I am no expert on the Fakra specification, but the "z" connector that is "Water Blue" is a universal connector and will connect with all other connectors. Looking at the chart, the camera and wiring look to be the "A" Jet Black" specification. I'm attaching the chart. Notice the tabs on each plug? They correspond to the receptacle for each type. The "Z" has no tabs on the plug and the receptacle (or female connector) is shaped to allow all other plugs to fit. The connector that plugs the cable from the camera kit to the front side of the 68508681AA bumper connector appears to be a proprietary connector that others are trying to correctly identify. I wouldn't attempt to use that plug to "move" a camera. You would still have to detach the camera from the Fakra connection to move it. Thus use the Fakra connection to plug it in at a second location. You may want to order spare connectors just to use as dummy plugs to keep them clean.

71KGddq8JdL._AC_SL1444_.jpg51fnbeWY8NL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Yes the Y cable connects to the back side of the 68508681AA bumper connector. Then you use the extension to route to another 68508681AA bumper connector (if you wish). However, if you disconnect the camera from the wiring that came with the camera, the extension cable listed above will connect to it. I am no expert on the Fakra specification, but the "z" connector that is "Water Blue" is a universal connector and will connect with all other connectors. Looking at the chart, the camera and wiring look to be the "A" Jet Black" specification. I'm attaching the chart. Notice the tabs on each plug? They correspond to the receptacle for each type. The "Z" has no tabs on the plug and the receptacle (or female connector) is shaped to allow all other plugs to fit. The connector that plugs the cable from the camera kit to the front side of the 68508681AA bumper connector appears to be a proprietary connector that others are trying to correctly identify. I wouldn't attempt to use that plug to "move" a camera. You would still have to detach the camera from the Fakra connection to move it. Thus use the Fakra connection to plug it in at a second location. You may want to order spare connectors just to use as dummy plugs to keep them clean.

View attachment 41264View attachment 41265
Thanks again - it sounds like I can’t avoid removing the connector at the bumper to connect the Y cable since there isn’t a short cable that could plug in to that outlet the way RAM has implemented it. It will take a while but I’m going to attempt to locate a mount for the camera and order the cables.

Dausbrooks

Reaction score
Thanks again - it sounds like I can’t avoid removing the connector at the bumper to connect the Y cable since there isn’t a short cable that could plug in to that outlet the way RAM has implemented it. It will take a while but I’m going to attempt to locate a mount for the camera and order the cables.
Good luck. I have parts on order to convert my 2021 over to allow the camera. I’m thinking about pigtailing from the bumper and adding another outlet into the bed for a fifth wheel. Will post as soon as everything is received and installed.

Rocketdyner

Reaction score
@Dausbrooks I'm very interested in what you are doing and want to do the same thing with pigtailing into the bed and putting it next to the 7-pin connector in place of the outlet that is there to tow my Fifth Wheel. I would also like to know what you do with cables to keep them from ending up on the pavement - if you cut it to length and spliced it in or left it long (like I currently have it) and rig to my pinbox with bungies...

Dausbrooks

Reaction score
I haven’t got that far yet. The camera came in today. I have replaced the review mirror with a 2022 model. I jumpered the camera to test it and it works great. However I’m waiting on cables and connectors to wire my truck. It could be into August before I get everything in place. I’ll post more as I go.

On thing I learned. The camera pans all the way down when shifted into reverse. It’s not the camera physically panning but rather electronically panning. Do this if you want to see your as close to your bumper as possiable; adjust the camera up to the highest setting using the rear view mirror controls and then physically adjust the camera on the mount. However if you do not wish for it to pan down in reverse, adjust it all the way down using your mirror controls and then physically adjust the camera in the mount.

Last edited:

Dausbrooks

Reaction score
I found the 25 ft cable a little short for my longbed crewcab. I have a source for a custom 28 Ft RG58 Cable that is less expensive than the Amazon cable. Can someone share a source for RG-58 Fakra Z splitter? I need 1 Male to two Female. I have ordered the splitters with short RG174 ends and they are causing issues. I'll post updates and links when I have everything worked out.

NorCal--3500

Reaction score
I found the 25 ft cable a little short for my longbed crewcab. I have a source for a custom 28 Ft RG58 Cable that is less expensive than the Amazon cable. Can someone share a source for RG-58 Fakra Z splitter? I need 1 Male to two Female. I have ordered the splitters with short RG174 ends and they are causing issues. I'll post updates and links when I have everything worked out.

Any updates?

I've reads through a couple threads with regards to moving the digital camera either to a cab topper or trailer. Lot's of information to say the least, but haven't seen exactly what I would like to try to do, which is:

Simply relocate the Digital Camera (but purchase a new one, Part #??? - 68448640AA, or 68465998AA, or another # ...??) in the CHMSL on a 2022, to the back of my cab topper and integrate it into a third brake light set up... I would disconnect the bumper cable ,behind the bumper, and simply run it in to the bed to the third brake light housing with the correct camera. Would either try to source a new/used RAM CHMSL (?Part #??) or maybe try to make something like this work; https://catalog.echomaster.com/?fc=...ear=27835&aamp-sbv-trim=38426&aamp-sbv-submit ??

From what I can tell based upon post, a third party aftermarket camera will not work with the RAM factory Digital Rear view mirror..... obviously likely would be the easiest route...

Looking for a factory like set up if possible, just not sure if that is going to be possible....

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I purchased another camera for the topper (thinking I’d rather do that than take the one out of the CHMSL or have to keep swapping from trailer to topper).

I’m either going to coil the 50’ cable that comes with the kit and snake it through the tailgate or try to find a shorter cable that will plug in to the camera receiver on the bumper (which seems impossible to find). I don’t fully understand the instructions on using Y-Fakras behind the bumper plug but I’m not an electrician or exceedingly mechanically inclined…). I know someone earlier here took the camera from the CHMSL and wired it back to that location (so if you select it for the topper it indicates CHMSL and if you plug in the trailer it indicates trailer - smart!!). I am re-reading them to see what the heck I’m missing…

In the meantime, RAM has to know people put toppers on the truck that defeat the CHMSL entirely. Ideally - a removable CHMSL unit (with a filler card like the piece they use if you remove the tailgate) that can easily replace the one in the topper and connect to the mirror, reverse lights and brakes would be a great solution!

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I purchased another camera for the topper (thinking I’d rather do that than take the one out of the CHMSL or have to keep swapping from trailer to topper).

I’m either going to coil the 50’ cable that comes with the kit and snake it through the tailgate or try to find a shorter cable that will plug in to the camera receiver on the bumper (which seems impossible to find). I don’t fully understand the instructions on using Y-Fakras behind the bumper plug but I’m not an electrician or exceedingly mechanically inclined…). I know someone earlier here took the camera from the CHMSL and wired it back to that location (so if you select it for the topper it indicates CHMSL and if you plug in the trailer it indicates trailer - smart!!). I am re-reading them to see what the heck I’m missing…

In the meantime, RAM has to know people put toppers on the truck that defeat the CHMSL entirely. Ideally - a removable CHMSL unit (with a filler card like the piece they use if you remove the tailgate) that can easily replace the one in the topper and connect to the mirror, reverse lights and brakes would be a great solution!
Can you reply to yourself here? I guess I just did…

I’m thinking about the topper placement of the camera and thinking one of 3 potential solutions - would welcome input and assistance from this group for sure.

1) buy a RAM made cable that is SHORTER than the cable (P68525798AA) that comes with the kit. This would plug in to the bumper when not towing (to use the digital RVM from the topper) - does such a thing exist?? Pic with part number is the 50’ cable that comes with the kit 05335B38-D5E1-4790-B7EE-7CB931D50B13.jpeg2585C2C3-D0A7-448C-8E06-D66B7D5455DE.jpeg

2) buy a short cable with the correct ends so that the plug for the camera (Fakra??) would run to a coax that could screw in to the proprietary connector RAM uses at the bumper for the tow camera (same purpose). Pic with the cable shows what I think is a Fakra? on one end and the proprietary connector which appears to screw on to a coax connector possibly?

3) buy a cable that can run from the camera at the rear of the topper, OVER the topper into the CHMSL location of the existing camera which is made useless by the addition of a topper. The benefit here would be the truck’s ability to sense whether I was using the digital RVM for towing or the topper. The con is removing the topper, correctly sealing the CHMSL when done, and reinstalling the topper…

Wide open to thoughts, questions, suggestions….

Thanks!

RickRam

Reaction score
Can you reply to yourself here? I guess I just did…

I’m thinking about the topper placement of the camera and thinking one of 3 potential solutions - would welcome input and assistance from this group for sure.

1) buy a RAM made cable that is SHORTER than the cable (P68525798AA) that comes with the kit. This would plug in to the bumper when not towing (to use the digital RVM from the topper) - does such a thing exist?? Pic with part number is the 50’ cable that comes with the kit View attachment 43948View attachment 43949

2) buy a short cable with the correct ends so that the plug for the camera (Fakra??) would run to a coax that could screw in to the proprietary connector RAM uses at the bumper for the tow camera (same purpose). Pic with the cable shows what I think is a Fakra? on one end and the proprietary connector which appears to screw on to a coax connector possibly?

3) buy a cable that can run from the camera at the rear of the topper, OVER the topper into the CHMSL location of the existing camera which is made useless by the addition of a topper. The benefit here would be the truck’s ability to sense whether I was using the digital RVM for towing or the topper. The con is removing the topper, correctly sealing the CHMSL when done, and reinstalling the topper…

Wide open to thoughts, questions, suggestions….

Thanks!
Does the part number 68525798AA shown above come with the proprietary connector to plug into the bumper?
Thanks for the help

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Does the part number 68525798AA shown above come with the proprietary connector to plug into the bumper?
Thanks for the help
Yes. The kit comes with camera, mount, 50’ proprietary cable, and weather proof mount for when not in use. The kit is intended for use with a trailer, so it’s cord is very long.

RickPatterson

Reaction score
Yes. The kit comes with camera, mount, 50’ proprietary cable, and weather proof mount for when not in use. The kit is intended for use with a trailer, so it’s cord is very long.
When I search that part number it seems to be just the cord. Are you sure it’s the entire kit? Have you ordered it?

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
When I search that part number it seems to be just the cord. Are you sure it’s the entire kit? Have you ordered it?
My apologies - the kit includes the cable but the part number is different - (P)68527599AA

Sorry for the confusion!!

henrys

Reaction score
I confirmed that if you already have the tow mode cabling installed you can add the camera on the cheap by buying camera part #68448640AA and using a $10 fakra-z cable from amazon. Unplug the farka cable from the proprietary connector and connect it to the fakra cable. Tow mode camera for about $120.

Untitled.png

RickPatterson

Reaction score
I just received the replacement camera that goes in the Chisml lense housing. I ordered these fakra z cables. The camera works perfectly with 1 - 20’ cable but if I connect the camera to two lengths of cable to make it 40’ the camera doesn’t work. I’m wondering if I can use a fakra z to snb cable connector and use RG 6 cable to the back of the 40’ trailer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I just received the replacement camera that goes in the Chisml lense housing. I ordered these fakra z cables. The camera works perfectly with 1 - 20’ cable but if I connect the camera to two lengths of cable to make it 40’ the camera doesn’t work. I’m wondering if I can use a fakra z to snb cable connector and use RG 6 cable to the back of the 40’ trailer.

I would stick to RG58 (50 Ohm) and avoid RG6 (75 Ohm).

Users who are viewing this thread